Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

I think Kuch remaining quiet on the topic is his best approach....not trying to defend his actions and also not "trying to make it right" after the fact. In the court of public opinion and social media, there's not much you can do (perhaps nothing you can do...) to make people see things differently.

In a week this will be a non-story....so him staying quiet and waiting for the next BIG ISSUE (backstopping???) to be in the spotlight is what I would do too...

The Internet loves spending other people's money. I don't know if the caddy leaked it or someone else, but I've grown of waiters/waitresses, and others who make a living from gratuities, complaining about what they get.

A lot of those turn out to be fake, too. Just people looking for a spotlight.

I'm the other end, in today's news cycle, I say you just keep on keeping on. Its none of their effing business anyway.

Honest question, I enjoy the back and forth, and heck this is exactly why I love THP!!!

When you think of professional athletes, regardless of the sport, and they want us as consumers to buy tickets to attend, watch, etc. Is it none of our business how much they're making?

Its a golf conversation that is pretty prevalent out there right now, its fair IMO.

oh, its totally fair and everyone's thoughts are worth reading. I am a bit mad at myself for saying earlier that its not any of my business but I kept coming back to read more of what isn't my business.

Honest question, I enjoy the back and forth, and heck this is exactly why I love THP!!!

When you think of professional athletes, regardless of the sport, and they want us as consumers to buy tickets to attend, watch, etc. Is it none of our business how much they're making?

Not in my opinion.

Because if we don't like it, don't watch and don't pay.

I agree, by now it's snowballed out on him, but I do think he had a chance to at least step in and try to set the record straight or make it right in the eyes of the public.
I still have yet to see that there was any wrong done so how can he correct something that wasn't done wrong? Why should the public conclude he did something wrong because he chose not to answer a question that is nobody's business except his or the caddie's? I'd hate to see our legal system work this way...

Bill Hobson of the Fore Golfers Network had Kip Henley on his show yesterday. Kip and Gillis do NOT get along, and they got into a little spat on Twitter about this rumor.

After learning that Kip appeared on FGN, Gillis apparently got all upset with Bill. This confirms to me that all Gillis wants to do is insert himself into something he doesn't belong in.

So because he's in the public eye, the public has a right to brow beat him into behaving in a specific manner?

That’s the problem with social media and generally where we’re headed in general. It’s more about likes and followers than accountability.
Regardless of the truth, Kuch’s image will be slightly tarnished from Twitter. People can hide behind their device and not be held accountable for their comments. It’s really just the new age bullying that I’m trying to teach my daughters about.

Tom Gillis seems to be the driving force on Twitter, i ask him why this is such a campaign for him, he said its "what's right vs. what's wrong" but this is not the first time he went on twitter too call someone out for not paying, i believe there was a putting contest bet that someone did not pay & Gillis did the same thing then

Tom who?

If it's such a big deal for you, write the caddie a check, pal.

Bill Hobson of the Fore Golfers Network had Kip Henley on his show yesterday. Kip and Gillis do NOT get along, and they got into a little spat on Twitter about this rumor.

After learning that Kip appeared on FGN, Gillis apparently got all upset with Bill. This confirms to me that all Gillis wants to do is insert himself into something he doesn't belong in.

Sounds about right to be honest, LAME!

It absolutely sucks that with the caustic nature of social media these days that people are guilty first...

This sounds a lot like when someone tried to call out drew brees for a tip on an order of $3 for like a $100 order, and then it came out that it was take out. It just seems very much a “you have money so you need to be showering everyone you come in contact with it” type of thing.

This sounds a lot like when someone tried to call out drew brees for a tip on an order of $3 for like a $100 order, and then it came out that it was take out. It just seems very much a “you have money so you need to be showering everyone you come in contact with it” type of thing.

Very much the vibe I get on social media on this thing, which is pretty lame.

I just heard a very interesting take on this. No idea how factual, but its from a pretty reliable source.
That Kuchar absolutely paid him more but the caddie asked that the number be left unsaid because of the idea that saying more could lead to some safety issues with his family coming into "wealth". And that Gillis has/had an axe to grind and is the only reason this is coming up, without knowing all of the facts.

Also, I recall seeing one article that said maybe they dont want the real amount known for safety reasons for the caddie since Mexico doesnt exactly have the greatest track record on the hostage, extortion, killing side of things

sounds like wherever I saw this wasnt too far off

I just heard a very interesting take on this. No idea how factual, but its from a pretty reliable source.
That Kuchar absolutely paid him more but the caddie asked that the number be left unsaid because of the idea that saying more could lead to some safety issues with his family coming into "wealth". And that Gillis has/had an axe to grind and is the only reason this is coming up, without knowing all of the facts.

Yea I’d have to think anywhere near $130k USD can make you a target in MEX.

I’ve been reading this thread with interest. My only reason for posting this is to lend another voice to the conversation. Read post number 11 from this link and note the date of the article.

https://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/...r-mayakoba-caddie-18-things-to-know-el-tucan/

What JB says above certainly makes sense, from a public perspective.

Maybe they choose not to speak of it before cause the guy lives in Mexico and it would be detrimental to the guy where he lives.....ever think of that?

I'd say that's highly likely.

The best solution here is to start spreading rumors that the journalists reporting this don’t pay their mechanics an appropriate rate. Seems just as relevant and likely to be true.

If the caddie isn’t complaining, or talking....where’s the story? Aren’t journalists supposed to have some kind of evidence before printing anything?

Evidence is so 20th century. This is 2019. We don't need no evidence.

I was just thinking earlier today about how ironic would it be for social justice warriors to put Kuch on blast, when doing so was actually just putting a family in danger. Very 2019. Logic and reason be da**ed. SMH

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This has been my take on this from the beginning. Koch said it wasn’t 3K and it wasn’t 10% It smelled like TG had an agenda here also. I’m in the camp of nothing to see here. Let’s move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

F/U you racist piece of crap, not wanting your wages to stay stagnant and wanting border security doesn't make you a racists.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

and so it continues..

and so it continues..

I read that (following Hawaii win last week) Kuchar said about Mayakoba caddie pay" "it's not a story, it was not $3,000 and it was not 10%).
I have no idea what Kuchar actually paid, and I agree he has the "right" to pay what he wants to pay, but I think that for a win Kuchar (or any other player) should pay the caddie 10%.

and so it continues..

I'm kind of sick of Gillis sticking his nose in other people's business.

On this point, I have no problem with Kuchar negotiating a deal with El Tucan for a one week job. $5k for the week seems like pretty decent compensation, especially given the market (i.e., Mexico). I also don't think that El Tucan (or anyone else) should expect Kuchar to give him 10% just because he was on the bag that week. 10% makes much more sense when the caddie and player have a season-long relationship. Sometimes the caddie might not get anything if the player misses the cut (I assume, I don't know exactly how that works), and sometimes he'll get 10% of the first place purse. That is the reward for sticking with his guy through thick and thin.

Back