Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

this doesn't smell right to me. it feels like extortion. let me blast your character in the public arena, demand $50,000, and see what happens. the caddie has nothing to lose. why now? if you were so pissed before, and you wanted to let the world know how bad a guy matt is, why wait so long? someone got in his ear and they concocted this plan.

why do we believe the caddie? what has he done to earn our trust? he has every motivation to lie. this is his one opportunity to cash in.

Now my take is that Kuchar should have paid (either at the conclusion of the tournament or now) the full $130,000 which is customary 10% for a win.
That said, Kuchar now offering $15,000 (in addition to the $5,000 he already paid) is something the caddie should have accepted. If the caddie needs money he should take the $15,000.
At this point both Kuchar and the caddie have damaged their reputations.

10% is customary for a tour caddie, not a local caddie who you can’t even communicate with, and also someone who does not incur the year long expenses that a tour caddie has to handle.

I agree with the 15k and the fact that he should have accepted it, instead of denying it and speaking publicly in hopes up getting 45k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of this sits well with me. Not from Kuchar's standpoint, from everything else.

You work four days and start demanding 50,000 dollars? Give it a rest. I'm not giving the clerk 100,000 dollars for selling me a winning lotto ticket either.

this doesn't smell right to me. it feels like extortion. let me blast your character in the public arena, demand $50,000, and see what happens. the caddie has nothing to lose. why now? if you were so pissed before, and you wanted to let the world know how bad a guy matt is, why wait so long? someone got in his ear and they concocted this plan.

why do we believe the caddie? what has he done to earn our trust? he has every motivation to lie. this is his one opportunity to cash in.

Sure the caddie is now trying to extort money.
But Kuchar or his wife or Kuchar's agent should have known that winning with a local caddie on the bag would raise the question of how much the caddie was paid. This is why (immediately following his win), Kuchar should have paid the customary 10% ($130,000). Had he done that Kuchar would have been able to answer any questions by saying " even though he is not my regular caddie he helped me win the tournament and I paid him $130,000".

Complains about being underpaid, though was paid out what was agreed upon. Gets offered more money, but turns it down and tell him to keep him money. Then asks for more money.......

I would gladly take 5k for a weeks of work rather the player won or not. That's a good months worth of pay.

Now my take is that Kuchar should have paid (either at the conclusion of the tournament or now) the full $130,000 which is customary 10% for a win.
That said, Kuchar now offering $15,000 (in addition to the $5,000 he already paid) is something the caddie should have accepted. If the caddie needs money he should take the $15,000.
At this point both Kuchar and the caddie have damaged their reputations.

How? The 10% thing is not set in stone anywhere, its just what we hear about for players and their permanent caddies who travel with them all the time. When did 10% become mandatory?

How? The 10% thing is not set in stone anywhere, its just what we hear about for players and their permanent caddies who travel with them all the time. When did 10% become mandatory?

The internet.

10% is customary for a tour caddie, not a local caddie who you can’t even communicate with, and also someone who does not incur the year long expenses that a tour caddie has to handle.

I agree with the 15k and the fact that he should have accepted it, instead of denying it and speaking publicly in hopes up getting 45k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's well known that 10% is what a caddie receives for a winning bag.
Sure Kuchar (or anyone else) can try to justify paying less to a local caddie because "he's not my regular caddie" or....."he doesn't travel with me all year"..... But none of these excuses ring true and they harm Kuchar's reputation. And $130,000 is peanuts to Kuchar, who has likely earned about $75 million for his career.
Following his win Kuchar's agent should have told him "pay the local 10% or you're going to hear about it later".

Complains about being underpaid, though was paid out what was agreed upon. Gets offered more money, but turns it down and tell him to keep him money. Then asks for more money.......

I would gladly take 5k for a weeks of work rather the player won or not. That's a good months worth of pay.

If he's making 100 bucks a day, that's big money. With the extra claimed bonus we're talking a quarter of year worth of salary that he just turned down.

Classic "I'm owed" mentality playing out, and getting behind instead of WAY ahead.

10% not "set in stone", it's not written in any contract, it's not mandatory. All true.
But what did that kind of thinking get Kuchar ?

10% not "set in stone", it's not written in any contract, it's not mandatory. All true.

It got him caught in the cross-hairs of some weirdo on twitter with an endless agenda to shame golfers.

If it wasn't the pay, it would have been something else.

It's well known that 10% is what a caddie receives for a winning bag.
Sure Kuchar (or anyone else) can try to justify paying less to a local caddie because "he's not my regular caddie" or....."he doesn't travel with me all year"..... But none of these excuses ring true and they harm Kuchar's reputation. And $130,000 is peanuts to Kuchar, who has likely earned about $75 million for his career.
Following his win Kuchar's agent should have told him "pay the local 10% or you're going to hear about it later".

Well known where? Discussion on the internet?

Heck, even JB talking to an LPGA player had them not even discuss the 10% thing.

More than that I come back to this, why in today's age are we so concerned with how someone uses the money that they earned?

Probably a good night sleep either way because he won a damn tournament. LOL

Well known where? Discussion on the internet?

Heck, even JB talking to an LPGA player had them not even discuss the 10% thing.

More than that I come back to this, why in today's age are we so concerned with how someone uses the money that they earned?

Kuchar has every right to pay whatever he wants to pay. But if he chooses to pay low then he may suffer the consequences to his reputation, and that's what has happened.

Kuchar has every right to pay whatever he wants to pay. But if he chooses to pay low then he may suffer the consequences to his reputation, and that's what has happened.

Nah, I think a handful of keyboard warriors on social media have tried to damage his reputation, I think the vast majority just do not nor will they ever care.

If he didn't pay at all, then you would have a story. This is a "journalist" with a grudge against Kuch and doing all he can to go after his character.

that's just it though. He didn't pay low. At all.

Nope, not at all.

500.00? Now THAT would have been low. 1k? Probably considered low.

5k for a local who otherwise maybe wouldn't have even been on a bag that week? Pretty solid.

Probably a good night sleep either way because he won a damn tournament. LOL

Sure Kuchar won the tournament. But remember that a guy with Kuchar's status makes the majority of his income from endorsement deals and appearance fees.
My guess is that Kuchar's reluctance to pay the caddie 10% ($130,000) may have cost him millions in future income.
From a business perspective, Kuchar (or certainly his agent) should have been smart enough to know that paying 10% would be a good decision.

So he received $5K
He expected $50K (for whatever reason)

He was offered another $15K and turned it down

awful

Sure Kuchar won the tournament. But remember that a guy with Kuchar's status makes the majority of his income from endorsement deals and appearance fees.
My guess is that Kuchar's reluctance to pay the caddie 10% ($130,000) may have cost him millions in future income.
From a business perspective, Kuchar (or certainly his agent) should have been smart enough to know that paying 10% would be a good decision.

From my perspective, this will have absolutely NO bearing on Kuchar's financial future.

So he received $5K
He expected $50K (for whatever reason)

He was offered another $15K and turned it down

awful

For not speaking much English, he's starting to grasp the average "American way" pretty nicely!

How has this cost him future income? Again, because some social media keyboard warriors who are the VAST minority are upset they can’t dictate how someone spends their own earnings?

This whole story kind of stinks. Originally I may have been on the side of the caddy, but these latest developments about him turning down $15,000 in hopes to get more money really sour me towards him. This guy needs to take a hike and I hope all future Tour players refuse to have him on their bags.

In all walks of employment people work for the agreed-upon amount regardless of the end profits made, unless they are commission workers. If the caddy didn't have any sort of commission contract then he should have taken his 5k.
Nothing that has transpired here gives the caddy the right to sour Kuchar's reputation publicly

You don't think he "paid low", but other people may think the caddie deserved 10% ($130,000).
All factors considered, the only way Kuchar's good reputation could have been maintained was by paying the 10%. But now that the story is out it's too late for that.

Back