Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m sure most saw or heard about this, and I honestly think it was part of Kuch’s slow start yesterday. Word out there is he payed local caddie ‘El Tucan’ only 3k after his 1.3 million dollar win at the Mayakoba in 2018.

Kuch says it’s a non story, social media is losing their ****, what say you about maybe the nicest guy on tour doing this?

If true, my opinion of Kuch does change a little. A couple tour pros seemed to confirm it, and said that wasn’t out of character for Kuchar.

It’s one of those where I don’t think we’ll ever hear the real story, but disappointing that there’s even a possibility of being true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put this in the tourney thread but here’s some more insight from “The Fried Egg”
160ae77f66bfd8a808d79308d22c7fab.jpg

Kuch has and always will be one of my faves on tour. Classy guy in my mind. Never out for himself. I’d imagine the local caddy agreed to the fee and either didn’t know about the 10% prior to doing so or didn’t care. I could see Kuch throwing him some more cash but if the guy agreed to it....then I don’t really see what the big deal is.

• Staff
After watching all the hubbub on twitter yesterday, am I alone in that I figure it’s his prerogative and don’t really care?

If it was agreed on before they played then it is a non issue whether he did or didn't tip him. I was wondering before he teed off yesterday if it was going to affect him and it appeared to do so. I'm glad he shook it off and still won.

After watching all the hubbub on twitter yesterday, am I alone in that I figure it’s his prerogative and don’t really care?

you are not alone.

• Staff

It’s media types that want an intriguing story on a guy who’s basically the Angel of the tour and one fo the nicest guys and fan friendly guys out there.

Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

I got to meet Kuch once at Firestone in Akron. It was right before dusk on the practice day and I was heading out. Saw a few peeps over by the ropes. Immediately saw it was Kuch (really tall) I started to approach to say hi and maybe get a autograph. Then kinda steered away to head out. My nephew was with me. Kuch kinda yelled over the 5-6 people that were there already and said “hey bring that little guy over here....I’m still out here so you’re good!” We headed over and he basically took selfies with every person there (maybe 10 people and then gave autographs to all the kids on balls and some gloves. Then thanked US....yes us...for the support and sticking around so long on a practice day since he knew he was the last guy on the course.

Kuch is a real man and a role model for youngsters. If people wanna make a big deal out of an agreement they have no privvy of then they have an agenda. Just my 2c

Last edited:

I am with you, non factor as I am Sure there was an agreement. Maybe they choose not to speak of it before cause the guy lives in Mexico and it would be detrimental to the guy where he lives.....ever think of that?

Last edited:
Not a chance. Like he said he didn't pay him 10% or 3k I guarantee he took care of him

you are not alone.

I will say this, it’s certainly a bit odd to see a bunch of white men suddenly so concerned about a Mexican and his paycheck.

:alien:

I have a real hard time passing judgment without the real facts out there. It's none of my business, so I'm in the "don't care" camp. If it was another player with less of a good guy personality, it may change my opinion.

I get that there are agreements and a "standard" but in the end Kuchar can do whatever he wants, its his money and I could care less. I highly doubt he stiffed the guy completely and have no doubt the media is blowing it out of proportion.

Also, I recall seeing one article that said maybe they dont want the real amount known for safety reasons for the caddie since Mexico doesnt exactly have the greatest track record on the hostage, extortion, killing side of things

I believe this was a business negotiation between two people. I'm positive I don't have enough real information to know any real details of the transaction. I dont have any idea what is in either parties heart as well. Maybe Kuch isn't what we want him to be. Maybe the caddy isn't. I'd rather talk about golf stuff not rumors. Particularly when it concerns people not equipment. One things for sure his caddy this week got paid!!.

Tom Gillis seems to be the driving force on Twitter, i ask him why this is such a campaign for him, he said its "what's right vs. what's wrong" but this is not the first time he went on twitter too call someone out for not paying, i believe there was a putting contest bet that someone did not pay & Gillis did the same thing then

The best solution here is to start spreading rumors that the journalists reporting this don’t pay their mechanics an appropriate rate. Seems just as relevant and likely to be true.

If the caddie isn’t complaining, or talking....where’s the story? Aren’t journalists supposed to have some kind of evidence before printing anything?

Non story imo. They agreed to 3k before hand and the caddie was fine with that. If the caddie suddenly found himself with 10% he would have quite likely found himself or his family in a ditch.

Whatever was agreed upon between the two of them, as long as that was upheld, that's all that matters. What that agreement was is none of my business.

Like others here have commented, having met Kuch once, I'll base my opinion off of that interaction.

Totally agree!!!

I am in your camp too Jman. While we don't know the full truth on this, there was an agreement before hand and it appears by some of the statements that Kuch paid him more than 3k.

Heard about it on PGA Radio yesterday and had forgotten about it until I saw this thread. Things like this do not excite me. Whatever he did he did for a reason and it is his business not mine.

This fits the mold of a lot of social media outrage. People taking a scrap of information, deciding whether they think it's fair or not, and then start screaming about it if they deem it unfair. This was a business transaction between 2 men. It doesn't appear that Kuchar paid less than they agreed to beforehand and we will never know the truth of whether there was anything extra or not. This is a big old nothing.

Back