Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

Creating controversy when there is none - - welcome to the dark side of social media! This is/was between Kuchar and his caddie. Period.

People always gotta find something to complain about.

After watching all the hubbub on twitter yesterday, am I alone in that I figure it’s his prerogative and don’t really care?

Nope. I feel the same way too. Average income in that city is $850 a month and the caddie got almost 4 months of income for 4 days of work. And thats if $3,000 is all he got.

I am sure the caddie walked away with more than 3k. Beyond that, it's none of my business.

Weird to throw a guy like Kuch under the bus. You're not going to go very far with that narrative.

Also, I recall seeing one article that said maybe they dont want the real amount known for safety reasons for the caddie since Mexico doesnt exactly have the greatest track record on the hostage, extortion, killing side of things

this makes a LOT of sense

Plus keep in mind Kuchar already confirmed he didnt get $3K or 10%.

SO Somewhere between $3,001 and $129,999

The caddie reportedly made twice his usual salary for being on the bag. I don't think we will ever know the real amount and I question the $3k, however I am ok with whatever Kuchar wanted to pay. This was not his regular full time guy who is with him week in, week out making a cut or not.

The guys who get the much bantered "10%" cut, get that for the body of work, not for being on the bag one week.

I'm not going to judge without facts, and Kuchar has been a Statesman of golf for long enough that he gets the benefit of the doubt.

So what he said was he DIDNT pay the guy 3k or 10%.. if you want to look at it literally he could have paid him anything (2k, 4k, 15k, $129,999, etc).. he probably doesn't want to disclose the amount so people don't go try n mooch off the guy, or taxes for him, who knows.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It won't affect me regardless of if the caddie got paid 3k, 10%, or something in between. It's just another business transaction between employer and employee, and I am fine not knowing the terms. I enjoy watching him play, this won't change that opinion.

It won't affect me regardless of if the caddie got paid 3k, 10%, or something in between. It's just another business transaction between employer and employee, and I am fine not knowing the terms. I enjoy watching him play, this won't change that opinion.

This is EXACTLY where I'm at.

Media are lazy now, so if they can use/create drama, they pounce.

I am sure the caddie walked away with more than 3k. Beyond that, it's none of my business.

Weird to throw a guy like Kuch under the bus. You're not going to go very far with that narrative.

After watching all the hubbub on twitter yesterday, am I alone in that I figure it’s his prerogative and don’t really care?

I feel the same way. It's a non-story. Twitter isn't journalism. And I don't care.

Put this in the tourney thread but here’s some more insight from “The Fried Egg”
160ae77f66bfd8a808d79308d22c7fab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posting this in all the threads huh?

Nope, I’m with you, people just posting for clicks

I got to meet Kuch once at Firestone in Akron. It was right before dusk on the practice day and I was heading out. Saw a few peeps over by the ropes. Immediately saw it was Kuch (really tall) I started to approach to say hi and maybe get a autograph. Then kinda steered away to head out. My nephew was with me. Kuch kinda yelled over the 5-6 people that were there already and said “hey bring that little guy over here....I’m still out here so you’re good!” We headed over and he basically took selfies with every person there (maybe 10 people and then gave autographs to all the kids on balls and some gloves. Then thanked US....yes us...for the support and sticking around so long on a practice day since he knew he was the last guy on the course.

Kuch is a real man and a role model for youngsters. If people wanna make a big deal out of an agreement they have no privvy of then they have an agenda. Just my 2c

Great story! Kuch is the man.

If true, my opinion of Kuch does change a little. A couple tour pros seemed to confirm it, and said that wasn’t out of character for Kuchar.

It’s one of those where I don’t think we’ll ever hear the real story, but disappointing that there’s even a possibility of being true.

If true, my opinion on him changes a lot!

It is totally between the 2 of them. They must have had an agreement, they both stood by it. Could he have done more, probably yes but it is what it is. At least he didn't totally stiff the guy.

Also, I recall seeing one article that said maybe they dont want the real amount known for safety reasons for the caddie since Mexico doesnt exactly have the greatest track record on the hostage, extortion, killing side of things

makes the most sense, but Gillis on Twitter swears the kid got 0.0

Why is that? Because he's frugal with his own money?

The part that stuck out to me is tour pros saying the Kuch stiffing someone doesn’t surprise them at all. No way to corroborate the info, but that was a weird take.

I was watching Kuch warm up in the putting area at the Sony event a few years ago. Even though it states not to bug the players Kuch was the ONLY one signing autographs for adults and kids. I got the impression that he was a solid guy and I think he’s liked for that reason.
I don’t know the details with the caddie and honestly I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s not talking about it for the safety of the caddie but I take social media for what it is, which is merely opinions and not necessarily accurate.

makes the most sense, but Gillis on Twitter swears the kid got 0.0

well I'll take Kuch's word over this guy and Kuch said he didnt get $3K, so time will tell (or maybe never will)

As others have mentioned in this thread, let's keep in mind exactly what Kuchar said:

He didn't pay him $3000, and he didn't pay him the standard 10%.

Human nature may cause us to assume what was actually paid fell between those two numbers. But if we look at it from a different view, Kuchar very well could have paid MORE than the 10% and his comment to reporters would still hold true.

And I agree with the insinuation that a man, living in Mexico, who has had a rough go economically, might garner some unwanted attention if word got out that he is suddenly wealthy.

I wish I were cool enough to pull of a nickname like "el Tucan." I bet this guy has some awesome stories.

Otherwise, I think this is an example of trying to create a story where there is none.

I agree, this is between him and the caddy. If he had made a deal for more and only paid the guy $3k then that is a bit different.

The only story here would be if the caddy was paid less than agreed upon. It seems as though both parties were happy with the agreement and it's more of someone trying to create a story.

Back