Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

Celebrities, pro athletes, politicians etc... get criticized for their behavior every day. It's one of the downsides to living within the public eye.
Much of the time the criticism is not fair or "right", but it happens.
I do think the Mayakoba victory gave Kuchar a unique business opportunity, to enhance his image and reputation.

Who dictates that he should have, or needed to, enhance his reputation though? Shouldn't him taking a local caddy onto his bag so the caddy wasn't sitting at home doing nothing during the tournament also be considered an enhancement of his image and/or reputation then?

Celebrities, pro athletes, politicians etc... get criticized for their behavior every day. It's one of the downsides to living within the public eye.
Much of the time the criticism is not fair or "right", but it happens.
I do think the Mayakoba victory gave Kuchar a unique business opportunity, to enhance his image and reputation.

Majority of the time it's an agreement between the golfer and the caddie and is not public information. I'm not sure how this would enhance his image, what would he do, pay the guy and then announce how much he paid him?

He's worth about 20-25 million per google. Why not just give the whole purse to the caddie, who did exactly we don't know what to secure the win for Kuch?
What about the guy who unpacked his bags?
What about the cook who made his delicious fritata the day of the big win?
What about the dudes cutting grass at Mayakoba? They surely played a big role in his win.

We know absolutely nothing about this, yet are actively defining how much a man should give to a guy who hauled his clubs around.

It's Kuchar's choice how much he pays for services rendered. Kuchar absolutely has the "right" to pay what he wants to pay.

but you don't know what he paid him. How can your opinion change that much?

Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssssssssss!

OK so not 3k and not 125k. If he paid him 75k is that cool?
I would say this, I've been luke warm on Kuchar previously, so not really swayed one way or another, and his ambiguity surrounding his statement of not 3k and not 10% makes it sound more vague and secretive. We all have golfers that some people like, root for, etc. and some that we just despise and actively root against. I'd say I was about middle on him before and moving more negative on him after. We all have to make our own opinion on him based on the information or speculation we have available.

It's not necessarily what amount would make it cool, just the odd circumstances surrounding it.

I think depending on how he had responded when asked, it could have been a great business opportunity for his reputation.

I would say this, I've been luke warm on Kuchar previously, so not really swayed one way or another, and his ambiguity surrounding his statement of not 3k and not 10% makes it sound more vague and secretive. We all have golfers that some people like, root for, etc. and some that we just despise and actively root against. I'd say I was about middle on him before and moving more negative on him after. We all have to make our own opinion on him based on the information or speculation we have available.

It's not necessarily what amount would make it cool, just the odd circumstances surrounding it.

But, odd circumstance or not, its all still circumstantial, so I'm curious as to why that is such a big swayer for some people?

Lord knows I'm not defending the man, I'm a proponent of opinions, but its a curious situation to me because it sure seems to be built on nothing bu hearsay and randomness.

perhaps the vagueness is because it is nobody elses damn business on whatever deal/payment those two had?

But, odd circumstance or not, its all still circumstantial, so I'm curious as to why that is such a big swayer for some people?

Lord knows I'm not defending the man, I'm a proponent of opinions, but its a curious situation to me because it sure seems to be built on nothing bu hearsay and randomness.
You/we are getting to an interesting conundrum in golf fandom, circumstantial, a couple other examples that come to mind are Bubba and Reed, I know both have made some statements or we've observed them doing things, but a lot of their pull one way or another seems to be opinion based, circumstantial evidence. Also I think it depends on where we all get that said information from, a random person on twitter, a media person, here on THP, etc.

For this one, depending on the person I may feel differently than the way I do about Kuch, but in this instance, regardless of what actually happened, the way he responded, when given the chance to clarify and set the record straight, just seemed a bit like dodging the question.

I think it was a deal between the player and caddie, and if both are happy with the deal then it’s all good.

Also agree, if I’m anyone living in Mexico, no way do I want it public that I made “xx” amount of money. Even if I made 100k on he deal, I want the media saying 3k. Don’t want to be worried about looking over my shoulder all the time.

Majority of the time it's an agreement between the golfer and the caddie and is not public information. I'm not sure how this would enhance his image, what would he do, pay the guy and then announce how much he paid him?

Had Kuchar paid 10% I don't know if that information would have been given to the public, but for sure Kuchar and his caddie would know how much was paid.
I remember in his early pro years Tiger had a high school friend caddie for him and the money the caddie earned went to pay for the friend's education, medical school I think. Anyway, somehow that story was made public.

perhaps the vagueness is because it is nobody elses damn business on whatever deal/payment those two had?

That, plus, how quickly would the internet be all over Kuch for that as well. Making a spectacle over the amount he gave doesn't make him generous blah blah.

he has no chance of coming out on top of this.

He certainly could have answered that way.

This is one area of pro sports where it may not be anyone else's business yet the public knows, salaries, endorsements, etc. And with that public informaiton we can start to create or own opinions of something or a situation.

I know it's an off the wall example/hypothetical, but if the Eagles would sign Foles at the $20mm option and he's being paid significantly more than the QB of their future, Wentz, that has to create some odd feelings not only in that locker room but out of it, with all somewhat public knowledge, even though their earnings really are their own business.

The other side of golf earnings/endorsements that has always been a weird dichotomy is how hard the tour pushes their charitable contributions both online, social and even during the telecasts, but then the business of golf takes over with tournament earnings, high dollar endorsements, etc. but some of it is private knowledge, some public, when in reality, we all don't want anyone telling us what to do with the money we earn in our careers, but I think being a public figure, professional athlete, when asking fans to back you, root for you, etc. That bit of anonymity or private stuff does go away a bit compared to what it would be in our own lives.

The internet is suggesting otherwise.

I read it as some saying they don't care, others saying Kuchar should have paid more, some saying Kuchar paid the right amount,most saying they don't know the details so they don't have an opinion.
Nobody seems to be denying that Kuchar has a right to pay what he chooses.

That, plus, how quickly would the internet be all over Kuch for that as well. Making a spectacle over the amount he gave doesn't make him generous blah blah.

Lose lose, because the character assassination has begun. IMO, all because people are looking for easy and sensationalized stories with no hard evidence.

I agree, by now it's snowballed out on him, but I do think he had a chance to at least step in and try to set the record straight or make it right in the eyes of the public.

Here's a weird twist.

Do we actually know what the deal was?
Would you be even more freaked out if Kuch sent his regular caddie a percentage of the winnings?

The whole 10% thing isn't a guarantee, is it? Why do we assume it should be?

I agree, by now it's snowballed out on him, but I do think he had a chance to at least step in and try to set the record straight or make it right in the eyes of the public.

I'm the other end, in today's news cycle, I say you just keep on keeping on. Its none of their effing business anyway.

Had Kuchar paid 10% I don't know if that information would have been given to the public, but for sure Kuchar and his caddie would know how much was paid.
I remember in his early pro years Tiger had a high school friend caddie for him and the money the caddie earned went to pay for the friend's education, medical school I think. Anyway, somehow that story was made public.

Who's to say what the money was used for for this caddie?

Here's a weird twist.

Do we actually know what the deal was?
Would you be even more freaked out if Kuch sent his regular caddie a percentage of the winnings?

The whole 10% thing isn't a guarantee, is it? Why do we assume it should be?

Precisely.

Its all because all we do now is look for the controversy, or make it.

The Internet loves spending other people's money. I don't know if the caddy leaked it or someone else, but I've grown of waiters/waitresses, and others who make a living from gratuities, complaining about what they get. He agreed to the loop; he's not a victim.

Wait,,, Am I on THP or TMZ. Good Lord

Wait,,, Am I on THP or TMZ. Good Lord

Its a golf conversation that is pretty prevalent out there right now, its fair IMO.

Back