Kuchar - Mayakoba Caddie Drama - Your Take?

So at the Chinese buffet the other day our waitress went on break and another waitress actually handled 1 set of refills for our table. Should I have tipped her too?

So at the Chinese buffet the other day our waitress went on break and another waitress actually handled 1 set of refills for our table. Should I have tipped her too?

yes, but only 5k, 10% would be way too much

Gosh dangit. There goes my reputation.

...and me as a third party doesn't care, doesn't impact me. I still like you.

(see how this works)

But that’s the thing, it was a $5k payment and a $15k bonus totaling $20k for the week....roughly 5times the monthly salary to be made for 4-5 days of work.

If it does anything, it shows the true colors of El Tucán and his greed.

Ah, but the true payment was 3,000 with a 2,000 bonus.

The only reason the additional 15,000 came into play is because of the negative press this got after it was mentioned in the media.

How much one gets paid overall, be it 4 times their normal salary should not come into play. So, if I normally make 500 a day as a celebrity caddie, I should expect more then a club caddie making 100 a day?

How does it show the true colors of a man wanting to get paid what they believe their actions were worth? I believe the opposite. Shows his true character by not taking the 15,000 as that is a ton of money to him and his family because he believes in a principle that his actions/work was worth more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and me as a third party doesn't care, doesn't impact me. I still like you.

(see how this works)

That’s the nicest thing anyone has ever said about me on the internet

Lol. This is so close to what happened here.

Did you tip the waitress less because she went on break?

Ah, but the true payment was 3,000 with a 2,000 bonus.

The only reason the additional 15,000 came into play is because of the negative press this got after it was mentioned in the media.

How much one gets paid overall, be it 4 times their normal salary should not come into play. So, if I normally make 500 a day as a celebrity caddie, I should expect more then a club caddie making 100 a day?

How does it show the true colors of a man wanting to get paid what they believe their actions were worth? I believe the opposite. Shows his true character by not taking the 15,000 as that is a ton of money to him and his family because he believes in a principle that his actions/work was worth more.

I dont think we will never know the full extent of what was agreed on because this is a "he said, she said" scenario at best. We do know he was paid $5k (however it was broken down) and then agreed another $15k later. We can only assume someone got in his ear after the Twitter storm flared up and he realized he could squeeze a little more juice out of the orange. He isnt a normal tour caddie and he isnt grinding week in and week out trying to help his guy make the cut.

I think it does show his true colors, because if he is bringing up his family and having to provide for them, $20k is a lot of money in Mexico. You are right, him not taking $15k does show his true character, and that is one of greed and selfishness imo.

Lol. This is so close to what happened here.

Did you tip the waitress less because she went on break?

I’m kind of scared to answer that now. Look for a prepared statement soon.

I dont think we will never know the full extent of what was agreed on because this is a "he said, she said" scenario at best. We do know he was paid $5k (however it was broken down) and then agreed another $15k later. We can only assume someone got in his ear after the Twitter storm flared up and he realized he could squeeze a little more juice out of the orange. He isnt a normal tour caddie and he isnt grinding week in and week out trying to help his guy make the cut.

I think it does show his true colors, because if he is bringing up his family and having to provide for them, $20k is a lot of money in Mexico. You are right, him not taking $15k does show his true character, and that is one of greed and selfishness imo.

As I say to my kids, that’s why there are so many flavors of ice cream. Some like chocolate and some vanilla, heck my wife loves raspberry cheesecake. Every person has an opinion and there is nothing wrong with that.

My favorite is chocolate chip, so maybe that’s why I love to debate. A little mix of chocolate chips with vanilla ice cream. Mmmmm

Personally I think the caddie comes out of this far worse than Kuch

They had an agreement, Kuch paid the caddy what they agreed and a bonus (which was 66% of what he agreed to pay him), then after all the keyboard warriors jumped on this (and the only reason they have jumped on this is because of how much Kuch won) he has offered 500% of his original fee on top but the caddy has turned it down trying to get more

I think it would have been more of a story if Kuch had missed the cut in the tournament and only received $10,000 but still paid $3,000 to the caddy

I don't see the caddie ever working for a tour pro at an event as he has just gained the reputation of being a money grabber

Personally I think the caddie comes out of this far worse than Kuch

They had an agreement, Kuch paid the caddy what they agreed and a bonus (which was 66% of what he agreed to pay him), then after all the keyboard warriors jumped on this (and the only reason they have jumped on this is because of how much Kuch won) he has offered 500% of his original fee on top but the caddy has turned it down trying to get more

I think it would have been more of a story if Kuch had missed the cut in the tournament and only received $10,000 but still paid $3,000 to the caddy

I don't see the caddie ever working for a tour pro at an event as he has just gained the reputation of being a money grabber

I expect the exact opposite on this. Next year, provided the PGA tournament is at the same location, this caddie will absolutely get offered a job by a playing pro.

An agreement was made, the agreed upon fee should have been the only amount paid.

I can't go to my CEO and say..."Hey Dan, the corporation made a lot more money this month, you should give me a huge bonus. Did I mention that my twice removed cousin from a divorce 10 years ago has a toothache and I need to pay for it, so make that huge bonus even bigger".

Take the money offered Mr. Caddie and be happy. You'll NEVER have a chance to do this again.

A couple years ago I believe Sergio used a local caddie when he won in Greensboro. Does anyone remember what he paid him?

the article doesn't say when kuch offered him the extra $15k. maybe he didn't have 15 large in cash with him at the time? el tucan doesn't realize that, so he thinks he got stiffed. meanwhile kuch has a bunch of other things on his to-do list, and eventually gets around to reaching out to settle up on this ENTIRELY DISCRETIONARY amount. el tucan is already pissed at kuch for "stiffing" him (never mind that he got paid more than the customary fee), and the $15k is too little too late.

just another possible scenario in a situation that we will never know the full truth.

An agreement was made, the agreed upon fee should have been the only amount paid.

I can't go to my CEO and say..."Hey Dan, the corporation made a lot more money this month, you should give me a huge bonus.

If I am reading the article correctly and taking the context of the norm in golfing tournaments as stated, the agreed contract was for 3,000 plus bonus depending on how much money was won. So, if this is the norm, then the only mistake is not having a contract stating how much of a percentage the bonus should have been. Seems this is not usually in these club caddie agreements and the pga pro decides how much to pay. Sergio gave 75,000 as stated. Kuchar thought 2,000 was fair. You decide what is fair.

And by the way, in sales, it happens ALL the time that employees will ask for larger bonuses from their bosses when the company makes more then expected. Plus, companies do give larger bonuses to top management when profits exceed expectations.

A couple years ago I believe Sergio used a local caddie when he won in Greensboro. Does anyone remember what he paid him?

He gave him advice on how to get out of bunkers without frustration. :laughing:

Anyone who believes that Kuchar is going to suffer damage to his reputation is quite simply foolish. This story lasted 2-3 days until the caddy decided to pull an extortion move.

If anything Kuchar ended up improving his image as a result of this.

1. Either the caddy gets a flat fee or he gets a percentage, he can not get both. When I was in South Africa, the European Tour guys were employing local caddies. The argument was always , no pay, no carry, so the local caddies always got paid if the player missed the cut. If he played the weekend he got more, so a flat fee per round was the norm.

2. If you expect more, agree it upfront, the caddy did not , so Kuch was right.

3. A caddy works week in week out to help the player, and a win is the result of many weeks of input by coaches and caddy. Some guy who steps in as a last minute deal will not offer the input of the regular caddy, so he should not get the bonus.

4. Kuch should offer to donate the $130,000 to the Donald to help pay for his wall.:violin:

Yeah, I don't see how anyone thinks this makes Kuch look bad (Unless there are some Marxist social justice sensibilities). I may buy a car for $100,000, but I'll be damned if I rent one for $100,000.

Yeah, I don't see how anyone thinks this makes Kuch look bad (Unless there are some Marxist social justice sensibilities). I may buy a car for $100,000, but I'll be damned if I rent one for $100,000.

That is a really interesting take on it.

I am a bit surprised to see this still floating around. I think Kuchar is a hell of a guy. He seems to be nice to the people who watch him play and what little I have seen of his wife and family would indicate to me that their life outside of golf is solid. I am old enough to remember when his dad caddied for him at The Masters and how proud his dad was. Perhaps to being overly excited. I am ok with that too since it just says he loves his kid.

I am a bit surprised to see this still floating around. I think Kuchar is a hell of a guy. He seems to be nice to the people who watch him play and what little I have seen of his wife and family would indicate to me that their life outside of golf is solid. I am old enough to remember when his dad caddied for him at The Masters and how proud his dad was. Perhaps to being overly excited. I am ok with that too since it just says he loves his kid.

There have been a recent story with quotes from the caddy.

Per what I read, the payment with bonus was meant to be 5k (3k +2k bonus for the win). That’s why Kuchar gave him the envelope with 5k in it and said bye. If that is the case, I agree with fflmaster that the caddie was being lowballed. I think some are fine with that payment because the person lives in Mexico and isn’t well off, but I don’t think a 2k bonus for helping you win a pga tournament is ok. I guess we’ll all agree to disagree on that.

Now I don’t agree with the caddie for turning down the additional 15k and coming out publicly. And I don’t think this will damage Kuchar in any perceivable way.

Per what I read, the payment with bonus was meant to be 5k (3k +2k bonus for the win). That’s why Kuchar gave him the envelope with 5k in it and said bye. If that is the case, I agree with fflmaster that the caddie was being lowballed. I think some are fine with that payment because the person lives in Mexico and isn’t well off, but I don’t think a 2k bonus for helping you win a pga tournament is ok. I guess we’ll all agree to disagree on that.

Now I don’t agree with the caddie for turning down the additional 15k and coming out publicly. And I don’t think this will damage Kuchar in any perceivable way.

This is exactly how I feel. A $2k bonus is kind of a cheapskate move; the caddie should have taken the $15k; and people will have moved onto something else (again) in a day or two.

Last edited:
Back