That is what I said, but not loudly. I mean Tiger was a part of the most popular female golf swing in the history of golf.
It was a 9 iron, by Elin. And its not arguable.

He is here all day fellas........and gals...sorry don't want to be accused of being sexist here :D

Oh lord. At some point it's time to put down the Twitter machine and let things blow over.

The remarkable factor here is that Haney does not realize how detrimental his influence was to Tiger's golf swing.
The foundation for Tiger's swing was set by instruction from Rudy Duran ( 10 years) followed by Butch Harmon (10 years). However, by about 2004 Tiger was growing tired of Butch gaining popularity and celebrity status, so Tiger switched to his friend Mark O'Meara's instructor (Hank Haney). From the beginning of his association with Haney, Tiger's solid swing foundation and swing mechanics began to deteriorate.

Boy, this thread got interesting. BTW, Tiger's ironplay was great under Haney. Driver, not so much.

And I like Haney's response to Tiger (and I'm a Tiger fan). I feel the same way when people decry Tiger's scandal, but love Bobby Jones and Arnie.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Hank Haney wouldn't have a job with the PGA to lose if it wasn't for Tiger Woods. Also Tiger wasn't going to say anything nice about a guy who he paid handsomely and let into his inner circle who then wrote a hit piece book about him after they separated. Hank is a big talker who has obviously yet to learn a lesson most children learn, which is when to shut up.

That book was great BTW

Hank Haney wouldn't have a job with the PGA to lose if it wasn't for Tiger Woods. Also Tiger wasn't going to say anything nice about a guy who he paid handsomely and let into his inner circle who then wrote a hit piece book about him after they separated. Hank is a big talker who has obviously yet to learn a lesson most children learn, which is when to shut up.

Hit piece? Haney's book was complimentary of Tiger.
In fact it was a fascinating read about a player that so many misunderstand.

And I am not sure on the wouldn't have a job part. Sure Tiger made Hank more famous than he was, that is not arguable, but he was a top instructor, coaching another PGA Tour winner. He was PGA Instructor of the year back in the early 90s and continued to be a top 5 PGA instructor for much of the decade.

Oh lord. At some point it's time to put down the Twitter machine and let things blow over.

You know when a good time to throw shade at the most popular person in your sport is (and one of the most popular people on the planet)? Not when you have just been suspended from your job talking about that sport. What he is saying may or may not be true, he would know better than I, but knowing when to shut the hell up is something Haney obviously doesn't do very well.

Wonder if the impact Snap, the perfect grip, the B1 Blue Strike and all the other huge companies that pay him to endorse their products will pull their support.... At least he still has the support of all those tour pros that rely on him for coaching.

Nah, if Tiger gets to comment, then nothing is wrong with Haney commenting. Damage control be damned.

You know when a good time to throw shade at the most popular person in your sport is (and one of the most popular people on the planet)? Not when you have just been suspended from your job talking about that sport. What he is saying may or may not be true, he would know better than I, but knowing when to shut the hell up is something Haney obviously doesn't do very well.

Wonder if the impact Snap, the perfect grip, the B1 Blue Strike and all the other huge companies that pay him to endorse their products will pull their support.... At least he still has the support of all those tour pros that rely on him for coaching.

Everyone has the inalienable right to be stupid which Haney is doing. But so doing isn't consequence free, even if your flippant, richard-headed guess comes true. Especially if you step on your richard when it is plainly and undeniably in your best interest to STFU.

Nah, if Tiger gets to comment, then nothing is wrong with Haney commenting. Damage control be damned.

Tiger didn't randomly Tweet about it or go out of his way to bring it up. He was asked a direct question on his thoughts regarding Haney's suspension. He gave an honest answer. Haney may not have liked it, but his Tweet just digs a deeper hole.

Also, "damaged control be damned"? Dude has LOTS of sponsors, many of whom may be saying goodbye because this doofus can't stop Tweeting about it.

I read Haney’s book on Tiger years ago. He can across as a victim that deserved more recognition from Tiger. Reminded me of a kid seeking the attention of his parents and not getting it. That’s how I view Haney. A child who always seeks the affirmation of others. I personally have very little respect for him.

100% agree, thought the book was poorly written and exactly as you describe below.

I read Haney’s book on Tiger years ago. He can across as a victim that deserved more recognition from Tiger. Reminded me of a kid seeking the attention of his parents and not getting it. That’s how I view Haney. A child who always seeks the affirmation of others. I personally have very little respect for him.

Im surprised by this. @ddec and I have had many conversations about this book and neither of us saw it as any sort of hit piece, but rather insight into one of the most unique athletes ever.

I'm not sure what I despise more on Twitter, people who act like petulant children to throw shade at someone because they have to have the last word or people who can't say what they want to say in less than 280 characters so they type it out and take a picture.

I'm not sure what I despise more on Twitter, people who act like petulant children to throw shade at someone because they have to have the last word or people who can't say what they want to say in less than 280 characters so they type it out and take a picture.

All of the above?

Im surprised by this. @ddec and I have had many conversations about this book and neither of us saw it as any sort of hit piece, but rather insight into one of the most unique athletes ever.

yup, I know some took it the way Rusty Dave did, but I was definitely not one of them.

Everyone has the inalienable right to be stupid which Haney is doing. But so doing isn't consequence free, even if your flippant, richard-headed guess comes true. Especially if you step on your richard when it is plainly and undeniably in your best interest to STFU.

And this is the beauty of the 1st amendment, you can spout off whatever you want and it will be what it will be. A smart man once told me that before you say anything read your audience, at this point I think Haney has dyslexia when it comes to that type of reading.

And this is the beauty of the 1st amendment, you can spout off whatever you want and it will be what it will be. A smart man once told me that before you say anything read your audience, at this point I think Haney has dyslexia when it comes to that type of reading.

I get your point, and agree, but it isn't a 1st Amendment issue.

I get your point, and agree, but it isn't a 1st Amendment issue.

I am just referencing the fact that he like all Americans is free to say whatever he would like. How everyone reacts to those comments is entirely up to them due to the same freedom that we all get to enjoy in this country. There are several places on this planet that don't get that privilege.

Tiger didn't randomly Tweet about it or go out of his way to bring it up. He was asked a direct question on his thoughts regarding Haney's suspension. He gave an honest answer. Haney may not have liked it, but his Tweet just digs a deeper hole.

um, isn't that what haney did? his co-host brought up the women's us open, and haney gave an honest answer. it was not a well-polished or professional answer, but it was honest. the only counterpoint to that is wondering whether the women's us open was on haney's show rundown that day, or whether the co-host brought it up of his own accord. i tend to think the former, which doesn't help haney's cause.

Quite the contrary. His dismissal of women's golf and Korean dominance of women's golf as not worth his time as a coach or commentator is exactly the "un-PC" curmudgeon's take the majority of the people who listen to the golf commentary channel of Sirius-XM wants to hear. He claims to be a golf coach and lends the weight of his former accomplishments to the idea that this swing isn't worth studying or paying attention to by him or by the average male golfer. He read his room right, he just forgot that he said it in a spot where the whole world could hear.

I am just referencing the fact that he like all Americans is free to say whatever he would like. How everyone reacts to those comments is entirely up to them due to the same freedom that we all get to enjoy in this country. There are several places on this planet that don't get that privilege.

I absolutely agree with that. Those reacting to the comments have the exact same inalienable right to be stupid that the speaker enjoys.

um, isn't that what haney did? his co-host brought up the women's us open, and haney gave an honest answer. it was not a well-polished or professional answer, but it was honest. the only counterpoint to that is wondering whether the women's us open was on haney's show rundown that day, or whether the co-host brought it up of his own accord. i tend to think the former, which doesn't help haney's cause.

I was referring to his Tweet today, not his original comments. Haney is continuing to fan the flames on his own controversy.

Quite the contrary. His dismissal of women's golf and Korean dominance of women's golf as not worth his time as a coach or commentator is exactly the "un-PC" curmudgeon's take the majority of the people who listen to the golf commentary channel of Sirius-XM wants to hear. He claims to be a golf coach and lends the weight of his former accomplishments to the idea that this swing isn't worth studying or paying attention to by him or by the average male golfer. He read his room right, he just forgot that he said it in a spot where the whole world could hear.

I think you are misunderstanding the figurative room.... in this instance his room was not just filled with people who want to listen to him and his takes, but also people who might just casually be tuning and and decide they want to be outraged about something today.

Back