:deadhorse:

It's o.k. if we disagree. I think Haney's "stature" is mostly due to his past association with Tiger, same holds true for Foley's "stature" within the golf industry.
As for "frauds", the golf industry is loaded with them For starters, consider that many "instructors", at courses all over the world, are men and women who like golf but don't truly understand the technique for swinging a club. Anyone can declare himself or herself a "professional" and start charging for lessons. The PGA of America does what it can to try and make certain its members are truly qualified, but the reality is that the local PAT (playing ability tests) have long been well known to have guys cheating to pass the qualifying score (usually breaking 80 is needed ). So, at the amateur/club level there is lots of fraud happening with incompetent instructors charging for lessons.
At the "big name" level guys like Hank Haney are on Sirius Golf Radio and Golf Channel telling listeners that "distance is everything"........or "getting fit for clubs is the way to shoot lower scores". Haney receives money for spouting this nonsense, and I believe this constitutes fraud. Or how about Dave Pelz? He is a guy who may not have ever broken 85 yet he was able to parlay his idea(s) for 64* wedges, players carrying 4 and 5 wedges within their bag etc....and promote himself as some sort of "short game guru", and make millions off his schools, short game clinics etc... I don't fault a guy for making a lot of dough, good for him. But it is sad to think about how many players have seen their scoring average go higher and higher in large part to his advocacy of the lob wedges, different wedges for every yardage etc... It's all nonsense yet people buy it because he is a "big name". So I believe that Pelz, like Haney, is a fraud. And in more recent times I think "get fit" is the latest golf industry fraud scam. There are shops all over the place now selling $1,000 plus goods and services (fittings-shafts etc...) to consumers with .10 cent swings. When asked about this fact the owners of the fit shops usually will concede that selling fit may help a guy reduce his 35 yard miss to a 30 yard miss, and I guess that is how the sellers sleep at night. But to me it's fraudulent to take money from a consumer when the "equipment help" he/she receives in return is only about 2% of what he/she really needs for golf improvement, which is lessons and practice.

I respect your point of view. However, It doesnt seem like you place any responsibilty on the student to determine whether something is working for them or not. I dont care how big the name is. If my handicap s going in the wrong direction I am looking for a new teacher. In my case I went to a one day Peltz school years ago. Adopted his chipping and bunker method and it has helped me find an action I can rely on.I have limited time to practice but this method always works. Granted I am not a pro. Or even very good but as good as my time and desire will allow. Peltz didnt strike me as a fraud. Rather, a friendly guy who has done a lot of research. I found it very helpful.

I respect your point of view. However, It doesnt seem like you place any responsibilty on the student to determine whether something is working for them or not. I dont care how big the name is. If my handicap s going in the wrong direction I am looking for a new teacher. In my case I went to a one day Peltz school years ago. Adopted his chipping and bunker method and it has helped me find an action I can rely on.I have limited time to practice but this method always works. Granted I am not a pro. Or even very good but as good as my time and desire will allow. Peltz didnt strike me as a fraud. Rather, a friendly guy who has done a lot of research. I found it very helpful.

Fair enough, and I respect your response. If a Pelz school has improved your short game that's great.

:deadhorse:

When I saw this thread pop up in the recent I was like this is still a conversation? He made a dumb remark, he got suspended (which I am surprised he isn't back on the air by now), got some heat, and life goes on. This isn't some in depth conversation about his ability to be a teacher, or coach, or author. This has gone way out into left field.

When I saw this thread pop up in the recent I was like this is still a conversation? He made a dumb remark, he got suspended (which I am surprised he isn't back on the air by now), got some heat, and life goes on. This isn't some in depth conversation about his ability to be a teacher, or coach, or author. This has gone way out into left field.

Debate and points of view are good, but yes this is so far off what the original thread was posted about it's crazy.

To start with the Haney stuff is funny and the only statistics that one can view support his success just fine.
A little history on Dave Pelz. He worked for NASA. His students have won over 15 majors.
He played Big 10 college golf on scholarship. He is still a scratch golfer.

To start with the Haney stuff is funny and the only statistics that one can view support his success just fine.
A little history on Dave Pelz. He worked for NASA. His students have won over 15 majors.

And he has a bad a** back yard too! Just google it. I’d be ok with that.

Pretty impressive that he played D1 golf without ever breaking 85!

So what I hear you saying is that Pelz is a fraud. :bananadance:

the dude with the axe to grind keeps saying that. Every time he says "fraud" I hear the dude from Princess Bride saying inconceivable and just break off with "you keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think that it does"

So they rearranged the schedule and moved The Paulsons up into Haney’s slot. I guess he is done there and they are just keeping it on the DL. It is funny how the news cycles churn and then all the outrage is forgotten with only the wreckage that is left behind.

So they rearranged the schedule and moved The Paulsons up into Haney’s slot. I guess he is done there and they are just keeping it on the DL. It is funny how the news cycles churn and then all the outrage is forgotten with only the wreckage that is left behind.

I imagine Haney was on his way out well before his controversial comments about the LPGA Tour. For the past couple of years his Sirius Radio program had deteriorated to hour long rants against the USGA , nonsense commentary about golf (for example, repeatedly telling listeners that tee ball distance is all that matters and to putt the ball from 30 yards off of the green), and relentless promotion of his own company's product (Voodoo Pain Relief Cream). Sirius should have taken Haney's microphone away from him a long time ago and just about anyone who now takes his time slot will be an improvement.

Hopefully so...more people need to start pushing back at the non-stop outrage mob.

SJWs have completely destroyed comedy...music, TV, and movies aren't far behind. Sports is suffering as well.

Movies have already been destroyed by the woke scolds. Even Disney is pushing SJW narratives. Used to be I could pop on a Disney cartoon and let my child watch it. Now I have to make sure there aren't any narratives that most parents don't want to have to talk to their kids about at age 5.

Sadly lines have been drawn and the corporations, who used to stay out of it, have jump into the fray. ie. Dicks, Nike, NFL, etc....

Haney was spot on and the SJWs don't like it so they destroyed him. SiriusXM, like most corporations, are spineless and located in NYC so they think the entire country thinks like NYC. Amazingly Howard Stern is their bread and butter but I guess he is untouchable.

Breed today dipped his toe into the "equal pay" nonsense the woke scolds are crying about. If they cancel Breed I'll cancel SiriusXM.

Breed today dipped his toe into the "equal pay" nonsense the woke scolds are crying about. If they cancel Breed I'll cancel SiriusXM.

Breed seems like a nice guy, which is great, but I think Sirius Radio should get credible players to host the programs. Legitimate Tour pros such as Craig Stadler and John Cook are ideal golf radio show hosts.

Breed seems like a nice guy, which is great, but I think Sirius Radio should get credible players to host the programs. Legitimate Tour pros such as Craig Stadler and John Cook are ideal golf radio show hosts.

I like his show because its more than about the Tour. He talks just about everything golf and some outside stuff too. I'm not big into what the Tour is doing. Tour players don't get the average man. They are TV entertainment. I'd rather play and to listen to someone who is able to instruct via radio is really appealing. Additionally, his positivism is infectious. Tour stuff is on just about every other show and most of those guys put me to sleep with their monotone commentaries. Saying that, I do get the channel is "PGA Tour Radio."

I like his show because its more than about the Tour. He talks just about everything golf and some outside stuff too. I'm not big into what the Tour is doing. Tour players don't get the average man. They are TV entertainment. I'd rather play and to listen to someone who is able to instruct via radio is really appealing. Additionally, his positivism is infectious. Tour stuff is on just about every other show and most of those guys put me to sleep with their monotone commentaries. Saying that, I do get the channel is "PGA Tour Radio."

I don't consider Breed to be a competent instructor. I once asked him "Michael, do you realize how much that address technique influences and dictates the entire golf swing, and if so, why don't you and most other instructors spend more time teaching grip-posture-alignment?"
His answer was "DG, you are absolutely right about the importance of address fundamentals , but when students are paying for a lesson they want the teacher to make the swing complicated. If we stuck to address fundamentals they would not think they are getting their moneys worth".
Once Breed told me that I knew he was a posing as a golf instructor, not the real deal. And seeing his amateur-like hitch filled golf swing confirmed same. He is a low 80's shooter who has made a career and nice bit of money for himself by talking a good game.
There are literally hundreds of legitimate former Tour pros out there available to take the microphone and talk about the swing, playing strategies, stories from when they played on Tour etc....I would much prefer Sirius Golf Radio hire legitimate players to talk golf, rather than giving poseurs like Haney and Breed the microphone.

Good competent instructors don't always translate to good and competent radio show hosts. You have to have a balance. i.e. The Greg Norman disaster of the US Open last year.

Good competent instructors don't always translate to good and competent radio show hosts. You have to have a balance. i.e. The Greg Norman disaster of the US Open last year.
Hated Norman on Fox, but I actually enjoy his show on Sirius XM. He had the Navy Seal that shot Bin Laden, Rob O'Neill, on the other day. It was a great listen.

I agree that Haney was probably on his way out soon anyway. His obsession with hammering the USGA was stale and you can only insult your listening audience so so many times before the people that write the checks get tired of that. Haney was notorious for making derogatory marks about anything and everything he even remotely disagreed with. The number of times he called someone an idiot or said it was idiotic is astonishing. His arrogance was overbearing andI got to the point I couldn't listen to him anymore. With that said I don't think what he said about the LPGA tour was all that bad, but I think that Sirius XM was just done with him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hated Norman on Fox, but I actually enjoy his show on Sirius XM. He had the Navy Seal that shot Bin Laden, Rob O'Neill, on the other day. It was a great listen.

I agree that Haney was probably on his way out soon anyway. His obsession with hammering the USGA was stale and you can only insult your listening audience so so many times before the people that write the checks get tired of that. Haney was notorious for making derogatory marks about anything and everything he even remotely disagreed with. The number of times he called someone an idiot or said it was idiotic is astonishing. His arrogance was overbearing andI got to the point I couldn't listen to him anymore. With that said I don't think what he said about the LPGA tour was all that bad, but I think that Sirius XM was just done with him.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Heard the O'Neill interview two different times, never actually hearing the full thing once. REALLY sad I didn't, cause holy crap was that an awesome listen. Some of the stories I was like... Yep, you should be dead. How are you not?

Heard the O'Neill interview two different times, never actually hearing the full thing once. REALLY sad I didn't, cause holy crap was that an awesome listen. Some of the stories I was like... Yep, you should be dead. How are you not?

Look up the podcast Team Never Quit. It's Marcus Luttrell's podcast. He "interviews" O'Neill a couple times and it is really good. They are buddies from being in the teams together and has to be the best couple interviews of O'Neill I have ever heard.

Back