2019 Open Championship Contest and Thread

Wind is up and has moved around to the expected prevailing direction, so now a good score on the first 5 holes will be level, apparently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/49048235

Not too blowy, but the change in direction will test the players and their caddies. Advantage Koepka, as his caddy is a local boy. It was wet and miserable on Friday, and today looks very grey, so the Open is going to be the worst week of weather this month. Will be in the 80's F by Tuesday......:banana:

That 5th green with the OOB right behind it looks vicious today. Pin is back left and into the chuff, so anyone trying to go at it with a draw is brave. I'm assuming the players lower down will have to go for everything.

Sky just told the story about Kyle Stanley and Robbie MacIntyre yesterday. I can imagine that group's atmosphere was a bit eggy. Good on Robbie though.

Look at the blistering sun on display today!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty cool Game of Thrones themed Opening on NBC

GMac is playing well today. I hope he leaps up the leaderboard.

GMac is playing well today. I hope he leaps up the leaderboard.

Just needs to hold it together through this stretch of holes.

2019 Open Championship Contest and Thread

Sky just told the story about Kyle Stanley and Robbie MacIntyre yesterday. I can imagine that group's atmosphere was a bit eggy. Good on Robbie though.

Just went and read about this. Good on MacIntyre, eff Stanley if he really handled it like a prima donna.

I wonder if NBC plans to actually show the golf tourney or just special interest stories and commercials. So far it’s been too much chatter and not nearly enough golf.

Typical of NBC and cBS during sporting events. Heck trying to follow along with McDowell and he is probably finished and already has his clubs in the car and back at his lodging.

I have 3 thoughts thus far:
1) I need to get to that area of the world to play golf.
2) I feel awful for Rory, but I find solace in the brutal neutrality of golf.
3) Stanley is a clown if he thinks he is above reproach for being a dingleberry.

I wonder if NBC plans to actually show the golf tourney or just special interest stories and commercials.

I was just thinking that!!! I was just thinking, "Who has the best golf coverage of all the networks." Definitely not NBC. Does Tirico think he is part of the entertainment? Good Lord, shut up. They love to hear themselves talk and run their stupid specials. Of the 4 channels that are available on theopen.com I'm gravitating to the 3 hole special. Past couple of days they have had international announcers who don't have to talk every second.

Many many years ago DirecTV had a channel, during the open, that was the BBC coverage. It was spectacular. If we could turn off the announcers, in sports, it would make watching so much better. Sights and sounds like you are there live.

Typical of NBC and cBS during sporting events. Heck trying to follow along with McDowell and he is probably finished and already has his clubs in the car and back at his lodging.

theopen.com has Watson and Graeme as one of their marquee pairings.

Oh Bubba...those shoes look awful...

One of the golf podcasts did a timing of how much golf coverage was played per hour vs. commercials and short special garbage. I think it was the Masters coverage. It was like 20 minutes of golf to 40 minutes of crap. Something to that effect.

Just went and read about this. Good on MacIntyre, eff Stanley if he really handled it like a prima donna.
Agreed.
Even if Stanley didn't go full diva, there's really no leg to stand on there.

...and a dart by McDowell...great way to close out the round.

Strong finish by Graeme. I wish he and Rory could have had a better showing for the home crowd

...and a dart by McDowell...great way to close out the round.

Don't know if your coverage had the audio as he hit it, but he said "I don't think I got all of it". Faldo immediately said "Yes he did" and it landed and released to that 3 footer. I know some can find Faldo annoying, but he does get things right fairly regularly.

A few guys making some strong early moves.

Really nice to see GMac have a solid round and thrill the crowds with a closing birdie.

Don't know if your coverage had the audio as he hit it, but he said "I don't think I got all of it". Faldo immediately said "Yes he did" and it landed and released to that 3 footer. I know some can find Faldo annoying, but he does get things right fairly regularly.
I like Flado. Significantly better than Azinger who to me is very annoying with a lot of utterly mindless comments.

Van Rooyen sporting the joggers again today....

Back