Should professionals be forced to find their own ?

Should professionals be forced to find their own ?

• Yes, they should NOT receive help from spectators

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • No, spectators should help players find their golf ball

Votes: 40 88.9%
  • th (explain)

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

Northerner

Reaction score
Should pros be forced to find their own balls when playing?

The networks would love all the extra revenue from Advertising. Think about how many ads you could cram into a 14 hour broadcast.

Spectators should be allowed to help. We complain about pace of play, wouldn’t spectator help speed things up.

Forced to? I don't think so.

They have marshals to help out. And if the paying customer wants to help out then why not?

We aren't forced to find OUR OWN balls. Usually, unless your a "richard" you help your playing partners out to find their balls. Not sure why anyone would take exception to anyone helping find their balls, especially when pace of play is already so poor.....

In what other sport are spectators allowed to help out the pro?

I think it's a fair question.

In futbol fans will yell "man on" from the stands if a player has the ball and doesn't notice someone closing down on them...

I think spectators should be able to help, helps with pace of play plus it's a courteous thing to do, which is part of golf in general. Of course you will have more spectators helping Tiger and Brooks in a final pairing vs. the last place guys in the first group mainly because you have different spectator sizes, and thus more eyes are looking for balls. Nature of the beast to me, you want more attention when you hit a ball off-line, play better!

Amateurs don't get to have 25 people help them find their ball - what if that amateur is trying qualify for a tourney?

Moreovet, what about pros playing qualifiers...they don't get 25 people to help them find a yanked drive.

I think spectators should be able to help, helps with pace of play plus it's a courteous thing to do, which is part of golf in general. Of course you will have more spectators helping Tiger and Brooks in a final pairing vs. the last place guys in the first group mainly because you have different spectator sizes, and thus more eyes are looking for balls. Nature of the beast to me, you want more attention when you hit a ball off-line, play better!
another valid point.

And that can have a profound effect on outcome of tourney as well.

Why should Tiger get 50 people helping him find a bal..versus say, a 257ranked player?

Why should Tiger get 50 people helping him find a bal..versus say, a 257ranked player?
Because as a paying customer I choose who I want to follow??

Because as a paying customer I choose who I want to follow??

Of course,but it doesn't negate the fact that that gives a Tiger an advantage.

In what OTHER sport would they need to???

Nobody is arguing that
So the question is: is that fair to all the players?

Pretty much everyone who voted thinks it's fair.

I just think it's an interesting thought to ponder

There's crowd interaction for every sport.. basketball you get the guys being the basket stripping down to make the opponent miss their shot, hockey fans jeering at the other team, baseball fans catch/move out of the way for the player to make a play..

I think golf fans should be able to help look, cautiously, for a ball.. but I think too they should not be able to help, and sure I'll get heat for this, but for example moving that rock out of tigers way.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So the question is: is that fair to all the players?

Pretty much everyone who voted thinks it's fair.

I just think it's an interesting thought to ponder
On the flip side.

When Tiger shows up to an event their are way more fans, which means more eyes to find a wayward shot from someone because to watch Tiger you have to skip a hole or 2 anyway. So you may get that 257th ranked player a group or two ahead of him and when you have 100 people lined up on the fairway behind a rope they could tell that guy where his ball is.

And I'll tell you right now all players love it when Tiger plays, I'm sure they don't care it isn't fair that more people want to see the greatest or 2nd greatest Golfer of all-time.

FWIW, I hit the wrong button. I meant to vote no.

But, the pace of play, to me, is one that matters IMO to fans and some players on tour. The tours and rules making entities really don't give a hoot about it at that level. They preach but don't put it to practice except in the rare instance.

I think golf fans should be able to help look, cautiously, for a ball.. but I think too they should not be able to help, and sure I'll get heat for this, but for example moving that rock out of tigers way.

Agree 100%.

Agree with this. I have no problem with them helping look for a ball that was a step too far IMO.

I don't think there would be any real way to regulate it anyway though. Golf is unique in being one of the only sports to have spectators on the field of play and you can't take that away.

There's crowd interaction for every sport.. basketball you get the guys being the basket stripping down to make the opponent miss their shot, hockey fans jeering at the other team, baseball fans catch/move out of the way for the player to make a play..

That boulder movement was atrocious.

Yeah that was a little ridiculous. But that is a rare and extreme example of fans helping way too much.

I was just watching the Open and there like 30 people helping someone find their ball.

Like...they didn't even know where it landed, I believe they were just summoned by the player to help them find their ball.

Honestly I don't know if I like that.

Well I am the only one who thinks pros should have to find their bslls like the rest of us mere mortsls.

I would allow for playing partners and caddies (maybe even marshals), but I would say [any number of ] fans should not be allowed to try to walk til they step on a players ball.

That's an unfair advantage, imo. These pros arelike a thousand times more gifted than we amateurs. It's unfair that they get even more help.

Many here cite "pace of play" as problematic, but I think that's a rubbish argumeny.

Pros are more often times than not in play. I guess it could slow things down, but IfIf marshals are allowed to hel0, I think that would help.

Inevitably though, as noted, would be impossible to implement with fans yelling at players telling them where their b all is.

Well I am the only one who thinks pros should have to find their bslls like the rest of us mere mortsls.

I would allow for playing partners and caddies (maybe even marshals), but I would say [any number of ] fans should not be allowed to try to walk til they step on a players ball.

That's an unfair advantage, imo. These pros arelike a thousand times more gifted than we amateurs. It's unfair that they get even more help.

Many here cite "pace of play" as problematic, but I think that's a rubbish argumeny.

Pros are more often times than not in play. I guess it could slow things down, but IfIf marshals are allowed to hel0, I think that would help.

Inevitably though, as noted, would be impossible to implement with fans yelling at players telling them where their b all is.

Do you think pros should be allowed to have forecaddies?

Back