Could You Sign Brooks Koepka

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Speaking to a friend of mine this morning, he said "I wouldn't want to be the company that signs Brooks to a deal unless it was Mizuno". He went onto say the reason for that is because if he doesn't continue this tear in the majors, the equipment looks inferior and only Mizuno (since he is currently playing it) would get the positive rub there.

If you were any of the top 12 brands or so, would you take the risk, knowing his price tag is VERY expensive and if he doesn't continue on this pace, how some might take it?

I think it would be a tough decision whether to go for it and sign him or not. Who knows, even staying with his normal setup, he might go on a streak where he isn't winning. Golf is a fickle game, sometimes you just really get on a hot streak.

Do people think a person like Justin Rose is not as successful because of the switch to Honma? I honestly don't. I just see it as the ups and downs of the game.

IF I were to sign him, I would want to try to take advantage of all the reasons I personally don't like him. Leverage his "I don't care what you think, F off" demeanor. Build a marketing campaign around golf being the Wild West and and he's the anti-hero taking down the evil majors.

But no, it would be real hard for me to sign him.

I would. He has a good demeanor, likeable, well spoken. He would sell clubs even if he isn't winning IMO.

I do not think that Brooks Koepka would be a good golf brand ambassador. Major dominance he has going on is crazy impressive, and I'm enjoying watching him play. (A fan)
I'm just not feeling Brooks embrace the marketing role.

Rickie Fowler is also one of my favorite golfers to follow on the television. Just different.

Your point on probability/longevity is also a good one.

Would I sign him - yes
Would I sign him to be the face of the brand - no

If he wants the big time dollars (Tiger, Phil, Jordan) then he needs to be the face so I wouldn't care what is asking price was, he is just another tour pro that would get just another tour pro endorsement contract.

I'd sign him, but Id try to make the contract heavily weighted towards major wins.

I don't think so. He just isn't that marketable despite all of the wins. On the LPGA side, did Yani Tseng get that much endorsement money when she went on her run? But look at Michelle Wie, who was heavily marketed despite a comparative lack of success.

I wonder if Brooks doesn't sign a deal as a brand ambassador because he doesn't really need the money and doesn't want to be bothered to sell golf equipment, or if he really just wants a setup that works for him. One problem is that he's just not a particularly charismatic guy, which might move more product than success. Rickie still hasn't won a major, but Cobra keeps him front and center because he moves product largely on the bag of style and charisma.

I would sign Brooks if only because pictures of him hoisting trophies goes a long way. But I don't think he'd get Rory/Nike money.

Maybe to setup kind of like Woodland has with Wilson but for woods, ball, and clothing. I wouldn't try and get his iron deal.

I wonder if Brooks doesn't sign a deal as a brand ambassador because he doesn't really need the money and doesn't want to be bothered to sell golf equipment, or if he really just wants a setup that works for him. One problem is that he's just not a particularly charismatic guy, which might move more product than success. Rickie still hasn't won a major, but Cobra keeps him front and center because he moves product largely on the bag of style and charisma.

I would sign Brooks if only because pictures of him hoisting trophies goes a long way. But I don't think he'd get Rory/Nike money.

Honestly this is where the conversation started. "Would Brooks be more likable if an equipment company were featuring him in marketing spots". My thought is 100% yes. Then the conversation shifted to why this individual said he wouldn't sign him.

No. I wouldn't take the risk. One, because I don't think he's the kind of golfer that would help sales (If any golfer helps sales). Two, because I actually think switching what he's doing right now would hurt his success.

No. I wouldn't take the risk. One, because I don't think he's the kind of golfer that would help sales (If any golfer helps sales). Two, because I actually think switching what he's doing right now would hurt his success.
Three. He's gotta show you more! :alien:

Brooks Koepka is a modern day Ben Hogan. He wants to win majors and be left alone. He doesnt seem like he has a lot of expensive tastes so there is no need to sign a ton of endorsements.

Honestly this is where the conversation started. "Would Brooks be more likable if an equipment company were featuring him in marketing spots". My thought is 100% yes. Then the conversation shifted to why this individual said he wouldn't sign him.

This kind of chicken & egg conversation fascinates me. He feels like he doesn't get enough attention from the media, which is a classically antagonistic/heel thing to say. But then that turns off marketing companies, which means generally there's less exposure of him to the consumer, which means there's less customer-driven interest. And since the media doesn't write about stuff customers don't read, the media doesn't pay attention to Brooks. But does that mean Brooks needs to change tack, does it mean a company needs to take a flyer on him, or does the media need to take a break from covering Tiger's every grunt, groan, and grimace and start actually pursuing new avenues for where golf coverage really can go in the next ten years?

I'm not sure if anyone could afford him. I get the vibe that his confidence in his abilities is extremely high and the way he has made snarky comments about not being featured in promo stuff sort of rubbed me the wrong way. I also seem to remember somewhere reading that the reason he hasn't signed a deal is that there is no company that will pay him enough to make it worth it. I might be wrong but he just seems like a different kind of guy that isn't the most marketable.

I shifted. I believe Brooks would become more generally likable because of exposure. Ads are designed for it.
Depending on what I learned about him from this increased exposure might change how I felt about him as a person. I don't know.

I just enjoy watching Brooks play this game.

Very interesting. Maybe Wilson would be a good fit - play the irons and market the baseball gloves.

I don’t see it happening with anyone because the price tag is too darn high and it won’t pay off.

I think Nike is the perfect brand for him. They really don't care what people think. Now the club companies are a different story. From what I have heard is that he changes very infrequently. Free agency is perfect for him because can you imagine him doing the TMade commercials with DJ Day Rahm Rory and tiger?

Yes I would sign him in a minute. On another note, Brooks feeds off of disrespect whether real or perceived. So for the competition going into the weekend, best hope he doesn't read this thread. Personally I love his game and his demeanor.

No, I would pass. He's a phenomenal talent but I don't think he moves the needle.

I would. He has a good demeanor, likeable, well spoken. He would sell clubs even if he isn't winning IMO.

And I totally disagree with everything in this statement. There are a lot of people who find his demeanor, attitude, etc. to be horrid. The worst part is actually when he opens his mouth for many of those people. Personally, I would steer clear of the guy. Is he a good player? Yes. But because he acts and carries himself the way he does winning consistently is the only thing that will constantly draw to the brand as his attitude will not carry him alone.

Think of it like this. Who do you think sells more clubs for Cobra? Fowler or Dechambeau? I would say Fowler hands down. Dechambeau has more recent success but his personality is a bit lacking for many people. Fowler on the other hand is a guy that everybody loves.

Just my opinion of course....

I could and he would absolutely be more likeable in a marketing campaign. I think he will wind up winning more majors than The King which would rank him at least 6th all time in the history of American golfers. I think he wins more majors than Jordan or Rory and although not as marketable currently, things could change after he wins a few more in the next 3 years.

Last edited:
Would sign him in a heart beat! Brooks has already proven he's a champ even if he does cool off a bit so what he is gonna win several more Majors before his time is up he's a winner....SIGN HIM!!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back