Xander Schauffele Driver Fails

I’m really surprised a signed player like this couldn’t get an identical driver immediately, especially at a major event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remember kids:

When your equipment fails a random test, the best defense is usually not "Well what about all the other illegal heads out there?!"

Never is. Never is.

And here we are worrying about John Daly having an unfair advantage with a cart haha

You are like the rain man of cutting through the ********. Well done.

And here we are worrying about John Daly having an unfair advantage with a cart haha
I had an Artificial Intelligence joke in the chamber but it ain’t topping this. Well played.

Realistically, how much of a difference in CT do you need, compared to the max allowable CT, to see a difference in the performance?

Are we talking a big distance gain due to it?

This seems like it’s much more on Callaway than on Xander. I can’t imagine he is testing the COR on his driver. I imagine he got a setup from the truck and assumed that it was within the legal limits

I don't like Xander's response at all but I put the onus on Callaway. They pay him to play their clubs so they're the supplier of tools and responsible for their spec.

But my question is, as to protecting the field, if this CT test is so quick and unobtrusive, why not test everyone's driver?

His 2019 club head speed average is a hair over 120. So it’s not like he really needs the help from a juiced driver. It’s 100% on Callaway. Maybe they are too big for their britches and are just screwing everything they do up. Maybe it’s time to take it down a notch and focus on quality and not the bottom dollar.

They remind me of TaylorMade a few years ago.

While I do think some blame goes to Callaway, ultimately the responsibility of what is in the bag, and what gets used on the course, belongs to the player. With the amount of attention these guys get, it can't possibly be difficult to ask someone to ensure their club is conforming to the rules.

While I do think some blame goes to Callaway, ultimately the responsibility of what is in the bag, and what gets used on the course, belongs to the player. With the amount of attention these guys get, it can't possibly be difficult to ask someone to ensure their club is conforming to the rules.
Devils advocate: why would anyone ever think a mass produced consumer good would be non conforming?

Devils advocate: why would anyone ever think a mass produced consumer good would be non conforming?
Better yet, if I were being paid to play a manufacturer's equipment and was provided with such, why would I hire a 3rd party to confirm specs?

And how many of us have done the same while participating in events under USGA rules?

Personally, I have, and will continue to, expend zero.zero energy toward realizing that goal.

I may be wrong but I’d venture a guess that all parties involved knew it was close to the line. Manufacturers and players have an interest in being as close to legal as possible.

why wouldn't they? the OEMs themselves like to boast about "to the legal limit" (both limits) and verbiage meaning the same thing, it's not beyond reason that manufacturing tolerances result in a face that is too hot

Not saying I’m speculating this is what happened, but I could imagine someone finding a head that was right on the number, and either after a little bit of play/etc., ends up testing higher. I’m sure there’s a (very) slight bit of measurement noise as well.

That’s why I think the stuff they produce for the masses tends to shoot for a slightly lower number, right? So that they don’t have hordes of non conforming stuff out there. That’s at least one of the reason that I’ve heard people go for “tour issue” heads, but it could also be that they’re trying to justify spending ridiculous amounts of money on a driver.

I may be wrong but I’d venture a guess that all parties involved knew it was close to the line. Manufacturers and players have an interest in being as close to legal as possible.

I’m actually in this camp, there’s so much testing and measuring done on tour heads, I just don’t see them not knowing.

I really want to know how far off the limit it tested. If 257 is the limit most manufacturers try to get close to, how would a driver test “freshly made” versus one that has been in play for a while? Does the face change properties to allow the higher CT to register when measured?

Not making any excuses for anyone, I’m just not educated enough to know if a driver being in play over the period of time like Xander’s could be the reason the CT number registered non confirming .

Last edited:
I’m actually in this camp, there’s so much testing and measuring done on tour heads, I just don’t see them not knowing.
It hurts to say because I like the guy, but is Xander a cheater then? Or is this sort of like speeding...everyone knows everyone else is doing it anyways ?

I don’t have an opinion really other than to say I don’t think there is a player on tour that has ever done a CT test.

It hurts to say because I like the guy, but is Xander a cheater then? Or is this sort of like speeding...everyone knows everyone else is doing it anyways ?
I’d bet if they pulled every head from every player at the same time to test, there would be several which tested over, that’s jmo though.
I don’t have an opinion really other than to say I don’t think there is a player on tour that has ever done a CT test.
No, but companies and trailers do, no?

You think that’s because they inherently trust the gear (Tour van) they are given and are focused on performance and/or fit?

I’m in the camp of as a player that would be the last thing I’d worry about. If I’m given a club to put in play I’m trusting my manufacturer to give me a club that is confirming and not a prototype of some sort that could get me in trouble.

I still don’t like his reaction or comments, but I guess he gave the interview a little heated under the collar.

Interesting to see that he failed it.

Really curious to find out how why it failed, use/materials etc

I’d bet if they pulled every head from every player at the same time to test, there would be several which tested over, that’s jmo though.

No, but companies and trailers do, no?

I agree with this. I do and I think that someone missed here. Not all companies have people overseas working with the manufacturers daily to make sure things are right. Its one of the inherit benefits in larger companies and more production. The downfall of course being that with more heads, something might miss, which clearly happened here. It's bad. I don't think its as bad as it will be talked about online, but its bad.

You think that’s because they inherently trust the gear (Tour van) they are given and are focused on performance and/or fit?

I’m in the camp of as a player that would be the last thing I’d worry about. If I’m given a club to put in play I’m trusting my manufacturer to give me a club that is confirming and not a prototype of some sort that could get me in trouble.

I still don’t like his reaction or comments, but I guess he gave the interview a little heated under the collar.

I think its multifaceted. First, where are they going to test it on their own? Its not as if CT gear is all over the place or a player can run to his local club and do it.
Heck, unless people watched the video put up, they wouldn't even know what a CT test or how it's done. Jesus, Golf Channel and Rex (who I like and respect) didn't even get it right, which is abysmal and goes back to the misinformation on equipment that plagues this sport.

There is a line on the number and then there is a level at which the wall is set that can't go over (grace period so to speak). I believe in that video MV discusses what that is and no company should go above it. Yet I can say without a shadow of a doubt it happens, and most likely more frequently than we care to believe.

Apparently, two or as many of three other OEM's had drivers fail the test as well. From GolfWorld:

However, multiple sources have told Golf Digest that Schauffele was not the only player with a driver issue. At least two, and possibly three, equipment manufacturers other than Callaway had clubs deemed nonconforming.

Golf Digest reached out to OEMs on Friday evening and Saturday morning to see if their products failed the test. As of writing, no one would confirm or deny the results on record. UPDATE: According to a company spokesperson, no Titleist players' drivers failed the R&A's CT test. Srixon/XXIO also told Golf Digest that "all of our drivers passed."
In a follow-up to the R&A on the prospect of multiple failures, the organization replied it would not comment further on the process.

If those three companies are fine, means it’s TM, Mizuno, Ping, or PXG. With one company making them hot and dialing them back, guessing TM may have had an oopsie as well.

I love that Srixon/XXIO informed GD all two or whatever of their drivers passed, lol

Back