JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it was mentioned in the Open thread this morning, good on the kid for calling Stanley out.

If several really yelled fore then this is a bit overblown in my opinion. He should have added to the chorus but I see both sides and it isn’t crazy to not yell if 3 others already are.

If several really yelled fore then this is a bit overblown in my opinion. He should have added to the chorus but I see both sides and it isn’t crazy to not yell if 3 others already are.

The point of his angst was that the group yelled fore, but by the time they can track it it’s much later than the actual person swinging. As we all know, most of us know immediately at impact when it’s bad bad, so the point was he could’ve been yelling before they could.

Plus, him not yelling anything is dumb, but that’s personal opinion.

The point of his angst was that the group yelled fore, but by the time they can track it it’s much later than the actual person swinging. As we all know, most of us know immediately at impact when it’s bad bad, so the point was he could’ve been yelling before they could.

We certainly don’t disagree - not yelling is dumb. And you are right, he could know first. So yeah, I’m converted a bit to your side already

Does anyone else suffer from this weird compulsion NOT to yell 'Fore' after a really bad shot? I don't know why, maybe it's calling attention to the fact that I just hit a horrifically bad golf shot or didn't see someone - but I always have this urge not to yell a warning. Don't get me wrong, I've never failed to give a warning, but I'll admit to a weird irrational compulsion not to (coupled with an equally irrational urge to hide behind my golf cart).

I'm sure it's just me :doh:

It happens so fast it's hard for your brain to compute it sometimes. I am not going to call anyone out for this.

Fully behind MacIntyre here. The onus isn't on "someone" to shout Fore, it's incumbent on the player. Abdication of responsibility from the person launching the projectile, and the one with the best idea of whether it was hit well, online or whatever, is a really arrogant and entitled attitude.

Not a huge deal if others did but he should still yell. I snap yell if it goes off line unless I 100% know there isn't anyone there. I gladly yell when someone is slow to do it as some seem gun shy. I got hit 3 times last year and only one yelled.

Not a huge deal if others did but he should still yell. I snap yell if it goes off line unless I 100% know there isn't anyone there. I gladly yell when someone is slow to do it as some seem gun shy. I got hit 3 times last year and only one yelled.

I’ve been hit once this year with no yell. Really pissed me off. I always yell, even if it is not going to be that close.

One thing about golf in Britain especially that makes it different from America is how much more public and open golf courses are in general. So when a golfer is in Britain especially and not yelling fore, to me it sort of implies that the folks out on the course shouldn't be in the way of his trying to play golf. I know, it's a tour event, this guy is used to having folks out and about, but the end result is he looks like a cad. Do the right thing, shout fore when it's a poorly struck shot. It's simply good form.

Craig connelly the caddie implied on twitter that some players don’t shout fore because if it hits the fans it has a chance of going back into the fairway. This is a veteran not some newbie making this statement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not the first time I have heard that.

Gotta yell fore. Have a little care for your fellow golfers and spectators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll yell every time. Unless someone beats me to it and I think they were loud enough. Then I might not.

I posted this in the "Does it matter who yells fore" thread:

At a golf tournament, with these guys carrying their drives as long as they do, and with the buzz of the crowds, how many people almost 300 yards away hear the people on the tee yelling "Fore" to begin with? And if it is into the wind it is even less likely to be heard. If multiple people are on the tee watching the tee shots, including marshals with their paddles indicating the direction of the ball, is one more voice going to make a difference? Do spectators at an event have an obligation themselves to be aware of and pay attention to what they supposedly came to watch with golf balls flying around at speeds well over 150mph? Look at how many people have been tragically hurt at baseball ballgames by not paying attention!

For us amateurs while playing it is a different story as there are typically only as many as three others with us that may or may not be paying attention. Plus, when we are out there it is pretty darn quiet in comparison to the noise at a professional tournament.

I posted this in the "Does it matter who yells fore" thread:

At a golf tournament, with these guys carrying their drives as long as they do, and with the buzz of the crowds, how many people almost 300 yards away hear the people on the tee yelling "Fore" to begin with? And if it is into the wind it is even less likely to be heard. If multiple people are on the tee watching the tee shots, including marshals with their paddles indicating the direction of the ball, is one more voice going to make a difference? Do spectators at an event have an obligation themselves to be aware of and pay attention to what they supposedly came to watch with golf balls flying around at speeds well over 150mph? Look at how many people have been tragically hurt at baseball ballgames by not paying attention!

For us amateurs while playing it is a different story as there are typically only as many as three others with us that may or may not be paying attention. Plus, when we are out there it is pretty darn quiet in comparison to the noise at a professional tournament.

I’ll put this one in here as well.

But, is one more person yelling fore going to hurt?

I’ll put this one in here as well.

But, is one more person yelling fore going to hurt?

Certainly not going to hurt but does it really make a difference?

Certainly not going to hurt but does it really make a difference?

But does it not?

Even if it only makes a FRACTION of a difference, that’s a projectile headed at human beings at over a hundred miles per hour.

I yell FORE all the time on errant shots but find nobody does anything. They either still go about their business, or just look up. No one makes an effort to see what is going on, or ducks. When I watch golf on the tube (funny saying, as nobody has a "tube" tv anymore) I notice not one spectator moves after FORE is called out, not one. Shouting FORE is the right thing to do, but I am not sure it makes a difference, still I won't stop my warnings.

But does it not?

Even if it only makes a FRACTION of a difference, that’s a projectile headed at human beings at over a hundred miles per hour.

Us playing? Yes. At a professional tournament I say no with everything else going on. If the player were yelling separately, yes, but at the same time as others, no.

I yell FORE all the time on errant shots but find nobody does anything. They either still go about their business, or just look up. No one makes an effort to see what is going on, or ducks. When I watch golf on the tube (funny saying, as nobody has a "tube" tv anymore) I notice not one spectator moves after FORE is called out, not one. Shouting FORE is the right thing to do, but I am not sure it makes a difference, still I won't stop my warnings.

I'm pretty much on board with this. Someone already raised the point that it happens so fast, it's hard to get 'FORE!' out for the person who hit the shot. If you're downrange, the odds that you're going to look up, spot the ball, and avoid it - for me, the odds of that are slim. I've also always felt that the worst thing someone downrange can do is to raise their face up and look for an incoming ball. Not arguing we shouldn't yell 'FORE!' - but I think the odds that it's going to keep someone for getting hit are not very good.

Definitely agree because as we hit we first see where that ball is very likely heading within a Second or less and I feel it is an unwritten rule or courtesy to show you care. Put his family out there and let it happen and see what he says being on the other side...

If everybody else in the group has yelled fore/indicated that the ball is going offline, then it's hard to argue that one more voice would make a difference from 300 yards away, but I understand how the lack of any gesture would be perceived.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

It just seems like it's common golf etiquette to yell fore if you hit one offline, regardless if others are yelling or not.

Back