You hit a ball where other people might be, you yell fore.

You hit a ball where other people might be, you yell fore.

Yup, simple enough and more people yelling it as soon as possible is also good.

To me it’s a fact that not enough pros yell fore quickly enough.

I don't know what may be the protocol for Tour golf galleries. For regular amateur play, if one knows their ball is on a line to miss someone, it's best to not yell fore (to prevent the person from possibly moving in to the line of the ball's flight).

The point of his angst was that the group yelled fore, but by the time they can track it it’s much later than the actual person swinging. As we all know, most of us know immediately at impact when it’s bad bad, so the point was he could’ve been yelling before they could.

Plus, him not yelling anything is dumb, but that’s personal opinion.

That's a pretty big assumption. There are plenty of times and circumstances where the guy swinging the club is the LAST one to see where the ball is going and it only takes a split second.

That's a pretty big assumption. There are plenty of times and circumstances where the guy swinging the club is the LAST one to see where the ball is going and it only takes a split second.

I disagree. You may lose eye shot of it, but you KNOW when it’s hit poorly and a severe miss, at least when some level of consistency in the game is established you do. Then, when in ANY doubt, yell fore. It’s simple.

I disagree. You may lose eye shot of it, but you KNOW when it’s hit poorly and a severe miss, at least when some level of consistency in the game is established you do. Then, when in ANY doubt, yell fore. It’s simple.
I have this amazing ability to know my ball is headed right of right the split second after transition half the time. #talent?

I have this amazing ability to know my ball is headed right of right the split second after transition half the time. #talent?

Hahaha, me too brother.

so here is a weird question. This person that got struck, ostensibly a fan there to watch the tournament, has multiple people yelling and does not notice them, how is the person likely to be the last to yell going to be the one that made the difference? Isn't, on some level, the fan partially responsible for paying no attention?

Didn't Rory break someone's phone on the first tee?

I just think this thing is spinning way out of balance as far as the crime and the responses. If I am at a golf tournament and people are hitting the ball, that is about the only interesting part anyway...I am watching the action and theoretically already aware the ball is coming.

so here is a weird question. This person that got struck, ostensibly a fan there to watch the tournament, has multiple people yelling and does not notice them, how is the person likely to be the last to yell going to be the one that made the difference? Isn't, on some level, the fan partially responsible for paying no attention?

Didn't Rory break someone's phone on the first tee?

I just think this thing is spinning way out of balance as far as the crime and the responses. If I am at a golf tournament and people are hitting the ball, that is about the only interesting part anyway...I am watching the action and theoretically already aware the ball is coming.

Sometimes you can be paying attention and have no idea where the ball is, or if it’s coming at you. Everyone starts yelling fore, but who needs to be concerned? The people at 220yds? 260? 280? While I think it doesn’t matter, you should just duck anyway, sometimes people go brain dead and think it’s clearly not coming at them, they can’t see it so why shou*THUNK*.

I always try and yell it and think you should but sometimes weird things can happen. I hit a tee shot a few weeks ago and it was going up the left side but not bad and suddenly did an knuckle ball move and shot straight left. It happened so fast and unexpectedly that none of the three of us had a chance to yell. Sometimes weird things do happen but as a standard rule yell fore.

To add to this though, I have also been on the course waiting for the green to clear in front of my group and had the group behind tee off into us anyway and still not bother yelling fore. There are some really inconsiderate people on the course.

Back