Open Championship - Only clapping and cheers

Bunker Snot

**** 2024 GOAT Cup **** $$$ Team MIKE $$$
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Watching the Open Championship and my wife turned to me and said "Did you notice no one is shouting stupid things when the players hit the ball" I wasn't really listening for the yells but started paying attention and she was right, polite clapping and cheers. Not only was I surprised that she noticed but I think it added to the enjoyment not having the noise and distraction.

Do you think anything can be done to quite the ignorant and annoying "get in the hole" and "mashed potato" yells at PGA events?

No, there will always be someone loud and obnoxious in a crowd full of Americans IMO. It's part of what makes us Americans.

I absolutely hate the yelling and would be in favor of immediate ejection from the event. There is nothing at all funny about it, you are just a loud stupid idiot.

I absolutely hate the yelling and would be in favor of immediate ejection from the event. There is nothing at all funny about it, you are just a loud stupid idiot.

This is the correct approach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed.

Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

No alcohol sold on the course for the 4 tourney rounds. That ain't gonna happen though.

It would take all of maybe one or two tournaments and it would stop.

Announce the policy at the end of this season. Start it with the first tournament next season. No exceptions, no second chances.

BA BA BOOEY!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Right. I’ve heard loud/stupid comments serval times this week while watching a The Open. I even think there was video of someone saying Ripper Magoo earlier in the week.

I’m with the group that says eject them. It’s annoying and trashy.

I’m opposed to banning alcohol. Why punish the majority of responsible people for the dumb decisions of a few?

Maybe I haven’t heard as many, but I’ve heard plenty of stupid yells after tee shots this weekend. Part of it might be the weather, too - if someone wants to go and pound drinks and yell, they probably don’t want to do that in the rain and wind.

Open Championship - Only clapping and cheers

Wrong thread....

I've heard plenty of yells. I just assume they are americans.

No, there will always be someone loud and obnoxious in a crowd full of Americans IMO. It's part of what makes us Americans.
The Masters patrons are mostly Americans, and they don't act like idiots.

The first 100 years if professional golf in the US didn't have people acting like idiots.

Set a standard, enforce it and the yelling will go away.

When I went to the Masters, the crowd behaviour was impeccable and a pleasure to be around, so criticism of Americans is unfair. I think golf tournaments attract people who know more about beer than golf in USA. Here they drink all day without having to go to golf.

I've heard plenty of yells. I just assume they are americans.

Maybe they were just situated near the final holes, so they weren't heard earlier.
Saturday, there was a lot of singing, football team songs and such (olay, olay...) not as loud on Sunday.

Right. I’ve heard loud/stupid comments serval times this week while watching a The Open. I even think there was video of someone saying Ripper Magoo earlier in the week.

I’m with the group that says eject them. It’s annoying and trashy.

I’m opposed to banning alcohol. Why punish the majority of responsible people for the dumb decisions of a few?
How is not serving alcohol, something that's hardly a necessity, a punishment?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Less drunk dumba** frat boy types at euro events but the euro soccer goons at least got drunk and trolled with the "ole ole ole ole" stuff. Still nowhere near as obnoxious as the "mashed potatoes" "bababooey" crap.

I am in....funny thing is, I marshall at the Colonial and don't remember a lot of hollering there either.....but i am over on 7, so maybe it happens in the later holes..

When I went to the Masters, the crowd behaviour was impeccable and a pleasure to be around, so criticism of Americans is unfair. I think golf tournaments attract people who know more about beer than golf in USA. Here they drink all day without having to go to golf.

There is a reason for it at The Masters. Pull that crap and you are immediately removed from the property. And, you will probably be banned forever. I have witnessed one such removal when I was there. It is amazing how quickly they reacted to unruly/obnoxious behavior.

The Masters patrons are mostly Americans, and they don't act like idiots.

The first 100 years if professional golf in the US didn't have people acting like idiots.

Set a standard, enforce it and the yelling will go away.

Folks that frequent the Masters are fully aware that any stupidity will be met with swift action from the marshals that could lead to being ejected from the course. And so they should take this approach.

There is no place in golf for all the shouting and general idiotic behaviour from the small minority. Yes I am in the UK and thankfully we don't suffer from this 'disease' as much as you guys over the pond.

If these idiots want to keep shouting stupid things all the time they need to go and watch football or something. Anything that keeps them away from golf.

They could have a 'name & shame' facebook page for all to see who these idiots are.

Watching the Open Championship and my wife turned to me and said "Did you notice no one is shouting stupid things when the players hit the ball" I wasn't really listening for the yells but started paying attention and she was right, polite clapping and cheers. Not only was I surprised that she noticed but I think it added to the enjoyment not having the noise and distraction.

Do you think anything can be done to quite the ignorant and annoying "get in the hole" and "mashed potato" yells at PGA events?

European amateur players usually have more knowledge about golf than American amateur players, so it fits that European spectators at pro golf events tend to behave better.

I like the focused encouragement (although the Greller cheers were a bit much lmao).

The random bababooey stuff I could definitely do without.

Back