Changes to 2019-2020 PGA Tour Schedule

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
Full schedule link: https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.2020.html

The Olympics will be next summer, so the PGA Tour has to move some tournaments around that event. Here are the pertinent changes for next season.
*Season starts at Greenbrier in mid-September. Houston Open also moves to the fall. New event in Japan takes the place of the event that used to be in Malaysia.
*Everything from the start of January through the Masters (West Coast Swing and Florida Swing) is the same as this past season.
*Rocket Mortgage Classic in Detroit moves from July to the last full week in May.
*The WGC event in Memphis moves into the Rocket Mortgage slot, 2 weeks after the US Open and 2 weeks before the Open Championship.
*3M Championship in Minnesota moves from 2 weeks prior to the Open Championship this year to the week after the Open Championship next year.
*The Olympic men's golf tournament is the week after the 3M event.
*First playoff event of the year returns to TPC Boston as that event will alternate years between TPC Boston and a New York metro area course.

I think the WGC Memphis event will feel a little better in the new date instead of right after the Open Championship. Maybe the Rocket Mortgage field is a little better than this year because it's the week before Memorial? The 3M event absolutely got the shaft, I highly doubt any guy playing in the Olympics is going to want to do England -> Minnesota -> Tokyo in 3 straight weeks.

The subplot outside of the PGA Tour is that they moved the WGC Memphis to the week where the European Tour has been playing the Irish Open for the past few years. I love that links stretch they have in Europe that goes Irish, Scottish, then the Open, but forcing the Irish guys to pick between a WGC and the Irish Open is not going to be pretty.

Was reading an article yesterday they are changing the way the cut line is done also.

Thanks for posting Ary

Full schedule link: https://www.pgatour.com/tournaments/schedule.2020.html

The Olympics will be next summer, so the PGA Tour has to move some tournaments around that event. Here are the pertinent changes for next season.
*Season starts at Greenbrier in mid-September. Houston Open also moves to the fall. New event in Japan takes the place of the event that used to be in Malaysia.
*Everything from the start of January through the Masters (West Coast Swing and Florida Swing) is the same as this past season.
*Rocket Mortgage Classic in Detroit moves from July to the last full week in May.
*The WGC event in Memphis moves into the Rocket Mortgage slot, 2 weeks after the US Open and 2 weeks before the Open Championship.
*3M Championship in Minnesota moves from 2 weeks prior to the Open Championship this year to the week after the Open Championship next year.
*The Olympic men's golf tournament is the week after the 3M event.
*First playoff event of the year returns to TPC Boston as that event will alternate years between TPC Boston and a New York metro area course.

I think the WGC Memphis event will feel a little better in the new date instead of right after the Open Championship. Maybe the Rocket Mortgage field is a little better than this year because it's the week before Memorial? The 3M event absolutely got the shaft, I highly doubt any guy playing in the Olympics is going to want to do England -> Minnesota -> Tokyo in 3 straight weeks.

The subplot outside of the PGA Tour is that they moved the WGC Memphis to the week where the European Tour has been playing the Irish Open for the past few years. I love that links stretch they have in Europe that goes Irish, Scottish, then the Open, but forcing the Irish guys to pick between a WGC and the Irish Open is not going to be pretty.

The WGC are so watered down now with the compressed schedules, all the "elevated" events including the Genesis that I think the WGC are basically just regular season events now.

Glad to see that they moved the wgc to before the open. Unfortunately they are still playing it on the wrong side of the pond.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The WGC are so watered down now with the compressed schedules, all the "elevated" events including the Genesis that I think the WGC are basically just regular season events now.
They've definitely lost their shine. There's only so many weekends that can be marketed as "big events", at a certain point it just becomes lip service and the fans decide which trophies matter the most.

Rocket Mortgage Classic moved to May is seriously questionable. We couldn't get out on the courses 4 days in a row till mid June this year. July was a way safer option

I’m interested to see how the changes affect the Travelers. They usually have a strong field. It is now scheduled for the week between the US Open and the WGC in Memphis. But with the Open at Winged Foot hopefully many players will not skip the Travelers.

Totally agree on 3M getting the shaft with that scheduling and having to choose between the Irish Open and the WGC Swamp@$$ Invitational. I think that the WGCs have had their time.

Was reading an article yesterday they are changing the way the cut line is done also.

It looks like it will be top 65 and ties instead of top 70 and ties and the MDF will be abolished.

The PGA Tour have never wanted the WGC events to survive, they do not like anything that is outside their control. When they first arrived , they were supposed to be spread around the world. Amerian players were discouraged to go, so they all moved to USA at the behest of USPGA. Now they are redundant.

Totally agree on 3M getting the shaft with that scheduling and having to choose between the Irish Open and the WGC Swamp@$$ Invitational. I think that the WGCs have had their time.

It looks like it will be top 65 and ties instead of top 70 and ties and the MDF will be abolished.

I believe that you are correct.

Back