Slow Play Trickle Down Effect

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is freaking crazy and is happening week in and week out.

This is freaking crazy and is happening week in and week out.

Yikes. That’s just terrible.

Her opponent seemed a bit agitated, for which I don't blame her.

That was almost painful to watch.

Oh my goodness! I almost couldn't watch that whole video and by the end I was hoping she would miss it. That's just completely unacceptable.

Wow...way too slow!!

I just.........don't understand?

That is ridiculous. They need to bring in a shot clock like that Euro tour event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm her opponent there is absolutely no way I don't say something. That is just beyond absurd. Would love to see someone do that at a THP event and see JB's reaction.

If I'm her opponent there is absolutely no way I don't say something. That is just beyond absurd. Would love to see someone do that at a THP event and see JB's reaction.

No you wouldn't : )

I wish in Tapatalk the links would show so I could click it...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No you wouldn't : )

The scary thing is we know those "schools" are teaching that nonsense to young players. We saw it first hand on our way to a 2.5 hr 9 holes behind them with their absurd pre shot routines.

I wish in Tapatalk the links would show so I could click it...

Two options.
Go to click the 3 dots on the top right and click web view which takes you right from there in tapatalk.
Or use safari which shows everything.

Both are super easy and work well.

The scary thing is we know those "schools" are teaching that nonsense to young players. We saw it first hand on our way to a 2.5 hr 9 holes behind them with their absurd pre shot routines.

Yup, gotta go through the same routine until comfort is found on EVERY single shot. Its flat out terrible.

Two options.
Go to click the 3 dots on the top right and click web view which takes you right from there in tapatalk.
Or use safari which shows everything.

Both are super easy and work well.
Have tried web view in past, doesn't change view. Unless there is a mobile view through chrome or something I am missing I guess I will just deal with it.

WOW! That is insanity. There is absolutely no reason to take that long

i guess this is one of those things where it's "fun" to talk about, but we can't ever really know the root cause to fix it. but i have a thought.

are we over-weighting the big tours' influence on younger players? should we instead be pointing fingers at the coaches and instructors? are these young players being coached at an early age to establish routines to the point of absurdity?

Full disclosure: I have not seen the video linked yet.

Question, are those of you commenting above re: preshot routines actually saying they're a detriment to the game?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

If I'm behind someone like that on the course, I'll just drive to the next tee and skip them. I'll have 2 holes down before they even finish their putt.

Question, are those of you commenting above re: preshot routines actually saying they're a detriment to the game?

There is nothing wrong with a pre-shot routine. But damn it use common sense.

i guess this is one of those things where it's "fun" to talk about, but we can't ever really know the root cause to fix it. but i have a thought.

are we over-weighting the big tours' influence on younger players? should we instead be pointing fingers at the coaches and instructors? are these young players being coached at an early age to establish routines to the point of absurdity?

I think you correctly answered this question/issue. Specifically, competitive junior players are told "don't play a shot until you are ready". And they are also told "have a preshot routine that you use for every shot, and stick to it no matter what". Finally, before a big tournament round and, or, match, well meaning people tell the player "take your time, play one shot at a time and don't rush it".

What's todays date? I started watching this video about slow play and fell asleep...

Full disclosure: I have not seen the video linked yet.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

A lengthy pre shot routine is inconsiderate, an example of poor etiquette.

I think you correctly answered this question/issue. Specifically, competitive junior players are told "don't play a shot until you are ready". And they are also told "have a preshot routine that you use for every shot, and stick to it no matter what". Finally, before a big tournament round and, or, match, well meaning people tell the player "take your time, play one shot at a time and don't rush it".

that's exactly my thought. the bob rotellas and other similar mental coaches seem to teach that very thing. one shot at a time. be in the moment. blah blah blah.

there's a junior academy at the course where i play most of my golf. i routinely see elite level foreign players out for a round, often with their parents. they always have pre-shot routines. every one of them. it's the same thing every. single. time. that makes me think there is a heavy focus on this routine that is taught to them at a very early age. it's not that they all watch golf on the weekends and just mimic what they see jb holmes doing; it's taught to them.

That video was so hard to watch. The absurd time she took, combined with the other player's apparent annoyance almost makes me wonder if it was attempt at gamesmanship.

Back