Slow Play Trickle Down Effect

She must be a high handicapper being that slow ;)

that's exactly my thought. the bob rotellas and other similar mental coaches seem to teach that very thing. one shot at a time. be in the moment. blah blah blah.

there's a junior academy at the course where i play most of my golf. i routinely see elite level foreign players out for a round, often with their parents. they always have pre-shot routines. every one of them. it's the same thing every. single. time. that makes me think there is a heavy focus on this routine that is taught to them at a very early age. it's not that they all watch golf on the weekends and just mimic what they see jb holmes doing; it's taught to them.

There is nothing wrong with a pre shot routine, in fact it can be very helpful to playing the shots needed to shoot low scores.
But there is no good reason that an effective pre shot routine must take more than 4 or 5 seconds.

That looked like the 4-some I was behind last week - grinding over every freaking putt as if a major was on the line.

Golf has a major issue with slow play and it's getting worse and starts at the top. This junior should have been told a long time ago that her "routine" is unacceptable and needs to find something else that takes about 10% of that time. Unfortunately, all they are doing is mimicking what they see on tour.

My daughter got her first taste of slow play in May at the high school sectional match. 5:30. I told her that’s the way it will be for most of her matches but the good news is she plays most of her golf with me. She now appreciates our normal 90 minute 9 hole pace even more!

Wow, everyone associated with the training of that player should be ashamed of themselves - they've failed.

Full disclosure: I have not seen the video linked yet.

Question, are those of you commenting above re: preshot routines actually saying they're a detriment to the game?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'll say it. I think preshot routines at an amateur level are dumb. 99% of the guys I play with that use a routine don't putt/chip/strike the ball any better than anyone else. We all suck equally on average, some of us just suck a little faster.

That video was so hard to watch. The absurd time she took, combined with the other player's apparent annoyance almost makes me wonder if it was attempt at gamesmanship.

The Euro Ryder Cup team has definitely used exaggerated slow play to try and win matches, for sure gamesmanship.
I don't think the girl in the video was using gamesmanship. I think she knew that winning a USGA event is a life changing deal so she was determined to take her time playing every shot. So I think she showed poor etiquette and selfishness, but not planned "gamesmanship".

That is absurd; can't even imagine how aggravating/frustrating it would be to play with someone like that. I always focus on keeping my family moving with pace of play. When we have the kids out there, we play up on the closest tees, scramble, and play ready ball - just to fight the perception that kids on a golf course slow things down. We end up constantly waiting on grps ahead of us, and thankfully, the rangers all know us by face now and laugh when people complain about their perception that we are playing slow.

i guess this is one of those things where it's "fun" to talk about, but we can't ever really know the root cause to fix it. but i have a thought.

are we over-weighting the big tours' influence on younger players? should we instead be pointing fingers at the coaches and instructors? are these young players being coached at an early age to establish routines to the point of absurdity?

Its fault at all of them. No coach should be telling a player to take that much time. Have a routine sure, but i think an emphasis of trust your gut and go with first instincts and the body will follow.

Question, are those of you commenting above re: preshot routines actually saying they're a detriment to the game?

Not per se, but as someone mentioned earlier, a pre shot routine as an amateur is pretty silly. By all means if you need to look at your line/think about shot shape, go for it, but ticking every single little box for you to hit a mediocre shot more often than not is asinine. See ball, see shot, hit shot, repeat

That's called a "Lost Hole" as everyone heads to the next tee without you lol.

haha I wouldn't doubt it. Who gets the blame/loss though....

I saw that on twitter this morning. Freaking crazy.

That was painful to watch.

It doesn’t bother me. If it’s important to a player in an actual event (worth money or standings) then I get it. Would those opposed to this say the same thing if it were Tiger needing to drop it to win his next major?

Wow, everyone associated with the training of that player should be ashamed of themselves - they've failed.

I'll say it. I think preshot routines at an amateur level are dumb. 99% of the guys I play with that use a routine don't putt/chip/strike the ball any better than anyone else. We all suck equally on average, some of us just suck a little faster.

Preshot routines don't have to be long. My regular Wednesday threesome has one guy that takes triple the amount of time on the greens than me and my other buddy. We finish in 3:20 or less walking. Preshot routines have also gotten longer it seems each decade. I remember playing on a busy Friday or Saturday afternoon back in the 1980's and a super long round was 4:10. Now that would be considered a fast time at most public or resort courses.

A lengthy pre shot routine is inconsiderate, an example of poor etiquette.
I agree. Where the issue comes up is when we realize everyone defines "lengthy" differently.

There are many that are. I cannot get the video to play but I gather it is about lining up a putt. And I will say those idiotic single lines on the ball are a huge detriment to the game overall. (the triple track seems an improvement, the people I have seen using that are much quicker than the single line). There are some people for whom they are valuable but the vast majority of the people that use them...and studies have shown this...are actually WORSE using them, but they make up for it by taking way more time.

I am just one example and, by definition, anecdotal, but I will say this, I am a very fast and above average putter: here is my putting routine. Check out the green as I am walking up to it, hunch behind the ball for just long enough to see the high and low point of the green, look for break at the hole, pick my line, putt. And I consistently am closer to or in the hole more often than the people surrounding the hole, looking from above and below, marking the ball, carefully, slowly lining up their putt, make a subtle adjustment, make a subtle adjustment, make a subtle adjustment and missing by a wider margin, only to do it again including marking it 3' from the cup. Just stop already. Putt the #$%^&* ball.

My routine is fast, efficient, a large percentage of the prep work can be done approaching the green and/or leaving cart/bag at the appropriate place to exit the green.
Note that nowhere in my routine is marking/cleaning the ball, etc. I have had people comment on it as I so seldom pick up a ball on the green unless it is in someones line or vision and even if it is just vision, I ask if they want it marked for that purpose and most don't care so I don't. If there is visible dirt or if it is still sitting in my ballmark, sure. Otherwise, I am rolling it and as a general rule pretty successful. Oh, sure, like anyone else I have off days...within the last couple weeks I had a round where I averaged 2.2 putts (and scored better than normal, weird) but overall, it does not improve the quality of putts to take a lot of time, it just takes longer.

But otherwise...by the time you are on the green, you have 90% of the information you need to putt and these lengthy pre-putt routines that don't improve the putting, yes, they are a detriment on the amateur level.

This is freaking crazy and is happening week in and week out.

She has like 10 preshot routines lmao!

What was that?!

It doesn’t bother me. If it’s important to a player in an actual event (worth money or standings) then I get it. Would those opposed to this say the same thing if it were Tiger needing to drop it to win his next major?

yes. He and other big names have been blasted for it before. There's no reason to take that long on a putt you generally wouldn't even think about 99% of the time.

If it is legit for a win I can semi understand and give them a pass if it is due to that reason. If its an ongoing theme the whole freaking day? eff that

great thing is tiger typically does not take a forever amount of time to hit shots most of the time (or at least its not televised as much as say JB, Day, Spieth, etc).

If Tiger did that in an event it would even bother him.

The Euro Ryder Cup team has definitely used exaggerated slow play to try and win matches, for sure gamesmanship.

Any chance of some facts to back that b/s up? I doubt it, I'll see your Per Ulrick Johansen and raise you a JB Holmes.

My life better depend on the outcome of a putt that short if I'm taking that amount of time before hitting. Holy smokes.

I suspect she was taking a long time in the hope it would be given....or she thought that making such a meal out of it would put doubt in the mind of her opponent with her putt.

Either way, it was poor and copied from the pros.

I played 18 yesterday in 2:34. I was slightly rushing since darkness was setting in and we could barely see the ball on 17 and 18. I shot a 78 with 32 putts. I could have likely made that a 74 if I'd take an extra 30 to 60 seconds on a couple shots. Rushed a couple of tee shots and putts that I shouldn't have.

I wish in Tapatalk the links would show so I could click it...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You're not missing much. Just an entitled jr. golfer who thinks she needs to take 1:32.97 from the time she missed a 10-footer to the time she struck her 2-footer. She went through her entire putting routine to make the tap in. The biggest issue here is the coach that told her taking that long to make a 2-footer is acceptable.

Back