Slow Play Trickle Down Effect

Wow that took awhile!

My life better depend on the outcome of a putt that short if I'm taking that amount of time before hitting. Holy smokes.
There's a healthy medium in there somewhere between running up and tapping it in and what she did.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It doesn’t bother me. If it’s important to a player in an actual event (worth money or standings) then I get it. Would those opposed to this say the same thing if it were Tiger needing to drop it to win his next major?

I understand your point. I know two women who won USGA National Junior Championships. One went on to win 6 LPGA Tour events, including a Major. The other earned LPGA rookie of the year honors and 4 LPGA tournaments, though she lost her game and dropped off that Tour after only 10 years. If you asked both these women what was their "biggest win" I think they would answer USGA Junior.
So while winning a USGA event is HUGE, no doubt about it, my problem with the girl in the video is that her etiquette was so poor. And etiquette is absolutely part of the game.

I really hope that isn't her routine on every putt. I guess I could understand if you're doing it for some kind of gamesmanship once during the round but if that is the norm she needs to be punished somehow. I just don't understand how someone can think that's ok to do.

But how long did it take for the 2nd girl to make her putt?

If it was me, and I had finished and was just waiting.......... i would be looking back from the next tee box.

I would spend less time on a put that decided my ultimate fate.

Brutal. Just brutal. Especially if you're still waiting to putt yourself.

Watching that video was painful. But this is the way that they learn how to play. They learn that it is acceptable to be as deliberate as you need to be.

Somewhat related rant since it's a junior competition: I think Drive, Chip & Putt competitions should implement a clock system to get kids used to using their gut more and not relying on over analysis. I can't stand watching D, C & P on TV because of how methodical most of the kids are. Kids have great instincts; don't teach their instincts out of them!

The pros are completely to blame for this.

If Tiger did that in an event it would even bother him.

Mickelson, in his short game video, talks about his 3' drill and how at some event or other he won, he hit a shot out of the sand to within 3' and celebrated coming out of the sand because he knew he would make it. He then says he putted it with the same routine as his clock drill, including sounding off the number, like "58" or whatever it was that would in succession and doing his normal routine. It was a putt to win an event that he treated as a practice putt in essence. Great story and approach in my eyes.

So what is the acceptable amount of time to make a 3 footer in a competitive round? Over 1:30 seems clearly out of bounds based on the responses but what would be allowed in your eyes?

...my problem with the girl in the video is that her etiquette was so poor. And etiquette is absolutely part of the game.

Her etiquette wasn't bad. She just waited until the first girl putted out, then went up and tapped in. :act-up:

So what is the acceptable amount of time to make a 3 footer in a competitive round? Over 1:30 seems clearly out of bounds based on the responses but what would be allowed in your eyes?

The rules of golf have a time to play a shot, it’s less than half that. On the green for a 3 foot comebacker, should be less

i guess this is one of those things where it's "fun" to talk about, but we can't ever really know the root cause to fix it. but i have a thought.

are we over-weighting the big tours' influence on younger players? should we instead be pointing fingers at the coaches and instructors? are these young players being coached at an early age to establish routines to the point of absurdity?

At the ShaftUp Grand Finale at Mission Inn last year we witnessed one of these junior golf schools, coaches and instructors definitely play a role. Every single junior golfer had the same robot like pre shot routine and they were all ridiculously long, painfully long. This was one of Gary Gilchrest’s academy’s and I’m sure there are many just like it across the country.

The golf rule makers need to find a compromise for this behavior and actually enforce it!!!

The rules of golf have a time to play a shot, it’s less than half that. On the green for a 3 foot comebacker, should be less
Is part of the problem those rules rules? 5.6a talks about undue delay but doesn't say what amount of time constitutes undue delay. 5.6b(1) gives a recommendation that a shot should be played in 40 seconds or less. However that is just a recommendation and not a set time.

Do you think it would be easier to enforce if undue dealy was spelled out and 40 sec was concrete instead of a recommendation?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have no issue marking and fixing the line with a quick glance in a tournament but that should take 20 seconds

Do you think it would be easier to enforce if undue dealy was spelled out and 40 sec was concrete instead of a recommendation?

Much easier. Gray rules suck.

A Tour event environment has too many external variables happening for any sort of "set shot clock" policy. For example, wind conditions, movement or noise from spectators, movement or noise from players on adjacent holes and, or tee boxes.
Mostly, though, Tour courses are full of players all day long, so there is nowhere for a group to go, no open hole ahead. If pace of play is (for some reason) a goal then the only pragmatic solution is reducing the size of tournament fields from 150 to 50.

Seemed to be a bit excessive... . Golfer emulating what she sees and is coached

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back