What should the penalty be for slow play?

Pro's = hit them in the wallet where it hurts & they will notice

Amateur Hacks = kick them off the course, no refund (that's hitting them in the wallet as well)

Simple :micdrop:

M2C

Glad to hear any and all other Solutions.

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Why try to find a solution when there is no problem ?
The only time I've encountered slow rounds is on golf courses full of people. Anyone looking to play a fast round should tee it up early in the morning or evening or weekday or whenever the course is not full of players.

Amateur Hacks = kick them off the course, no refund (that's hitting them in the wallet as well)

for me the pro game is not super relevant as I don't watch so for me it is just the amateur hacks that matter. And here is where you undrop your mic:

I tend to be among the if not the very fastest players. Even within my own groups I tend to be waiting my turn for the other people in the group. So if I happen to get matched up with randoms, as I often do, and I am pulling my club, walking to the tee box as soon as we reach it, on my approach and then the subsequent approach after I chunk it I am waiting either for the group ahead or someone else in my party, when I reach the green in 4 and 1 or 2-putt and then stand by for the next 5 minutes as the random strangers I am paired with take as long on the green as I took to play the entire hole...why should I be penalized? We may be a slow group...but it ain't me and I am not trying to get charged for other people's slowness. And this is a very common occurrence for me.

It is not usually hard to see which person/persons are slowing a group and there are often a person or people who slow the entire group down. Needs to be a way to penalize the offender, not render the other(s) guilty by association.

My favorite slow play story involves the time Frank and I were playing Heron Lakes. On the 9th hole, the group ahead of us walked to their carts and even before they reached them I hit my wedge. I happened to yank it, yelled fore, it landed closer than I wanted but not particularly close to them, I shouted an apology, they waved and drove off, I chipped close, putted, we walked off green...and the marshal chastised us for our slow play. Uh...could not play much faster, you watched me almost dome them as I hit before they reached their carts, right?

Pro's = hit them in the wallet where it hurts & they will notice

Agreed. If you are holding up the line. Say. GOOD Bye. BYE bye. BIRDIE

for me the pro game is not super relevant as I don't watch so for me it is just the amateur hacks that matter. And here is where you undrop your mic:

I tend to be among the if not the very fastest players. Even within my own groups I tend to be waiting my turn for the other people in the group. So if I happen to get matched up with randoms, as I often do, and I am pulling my club, walking to the tee box as soon as we reach it, on my approach and then the subsequent approach after I chunk it I am waiting either for the group ahead or someone else in my party, when I reach the green in 4 and 1 or 2-putt and then stand by for the next 5 minutes as the random strangers I am paired with take as long on the green as I took to play the entire hole...why should I be penalized? We may be a slow group...but it ain't me and I am not trying to get charged for other people's slowness. And this is a very common occurrence for me.

It is not usually hard to see which person/persons are slowing a group and there are often a person or people who slow the entire group down. Needs to be a way to penalize the offender, not render the other(s) guilty by association.

My favorite slow play story involves the time Frank and I were playing Heron Lakes. On the 9th hole, the group ahead of us walked to their carts and even before they reached them I hit my wedge. I happened to yank it, yelled fore, it landed closer than I wanted but not particularly close to them, I shouted an apology, they waved and drove off, I chipped close, putted, we walked off green...and the marshal chastised us for our slow play. Uh...could not play much faster, you watched me almost dome them as I hit before they reached their carts, right?
Agreed:

Now let's offer reasonable Solutions?

Lots of talk about slow play recently, people see it on tv and it has made its way our local courses. It's something that is always talked about but never enforced.

How do you enforce something like this and what do you think the penalty should be that will get people to take notice?

2 or 3 quickie trials followed by swift executions! The effect as a deterrent would be immediate!

The only problem I see with this is ...

Wouldn't it be your responsibility as the faster player in the group to speak up and say to the group "Hey looks like we are falling behind a bit. We need to pick up the pace. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to get kicked off the course. "

MicDrop

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why try to find a solution when there is no problem ?
The only time I've encountered slow rounds is on golf courses full of people. Anyone looking to play a fast round should tee it up early in the morning or evening or weekday or whenever the course is not full of players.
When the morning round takes 3 to 3.5 hours and the afternoon rounds take 5.5 to 6 hours. Same foursome. Same golf course.

Why not address the problem?

2 extra hours doing exactly what?

It's not sizing up 20 foot Birdie attempts.

And it makes turns golf from a reasonable from of recreational activity to a slow walk, without any end in sight.

M2C

Wouldn't it be your responsibility as the faster player in the group to speak up and say to the group "Hey looks like we are falling behind a bit. We need to pick up the pace. I don't know about you guys but I don't want to get kicked off the course. "

MicDrop

So which Solutions sound reasonable to you?

We are open to any and all solutions.

But we are not in support of the do nothing, or pessimism about nothing can be done option.

When the morning round takes 3 to 3.5 hours and the afternoon rounds take 5.5 to 6 hours. Same foursome. Same golf course.

Why not address the problem?

2 extra hours doing exactly what?

It's not sizing up 20 foot Birdie attempts.

And it makes turns golf from a reasonable from of recreational activity to a slow walk, without any end in sight.

M2C

The "problem" you are describing is due to the numbers of players on the golf course, and the only "solution" to that is to reduce the number of players.

So which Solutions sound reasonable to you?

We are open to any and all solutions.

But we are not in support of the do nothing, or pessimism about nothing can be done option.

Why isn't hitting them in the wallet a reasonable solution?

The ones that don't care have plenty of money and again don't care...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

There is no reasonable solution that can be enforced or will be enforced

I could not care less about the whole thing, it is on TV for crying out loud.
When did the pace these rich folk play at start to matter so much? And absolutely destroying a young girl for putting too slow..wtf are we becoming?

It is golf, not anything that will change the course of history. If you can't afford the time don't go, but don't whine about it if it does not fit your perfect idea of how long a round should take.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You know what’s funny? Everyone is talking about the pros and why should we care when my original question was about your local course and how to enforce some sort of slow play penalty.

The problem begins with the guys on tv I agree but my concern is the 5-530hr rounds locally

In a perfect world, 20 lashes. :act-up:

The offender spends a week in solitary with a Presidential candidate.

For recreational players? Monetary discounts/increases.
Finish in 3:30 or less, a nice discount or proshop credit for your next round.
Finish over 4:00, you pay more when you turn things in.

Pay by the hour!

MicDrop

I have on occasion said something. weirdly, when you are matched up with people you don't know, it is not received well. Weird. And we all know the threat of getting kicked off the course is hyperbole. I do everything I can to enhance the speed and make suggestions without being obnoxious when a group is behind. Numerous times I have mentioned "we are a half hole behind, got people waiting." Sometimes people pick up, sometimes they don't.

Turns out I am not omnipowerful enough to affect the behavior of random strangers.

Unmicdrop

1 stroke penalty on the spot, no waiting after the round just BAM 1 shot added on. You have plenty of people following holes or groups so its not a problem with having rules officials out on the course or referees. The european tour did a thing where there was a giant screen behind the player counting down the time they had. Not saying that is right but it can be done

2) Group timer. You have 15m to replace the flag stick starting from when the previous group replaced the flag stick. 1st offense is a verbal warning. 2nd offence is 1 stroke to each player in the group.

That's easy to get around. Just don't pull the flag. :act-up:

...but i don't see any way to police it other than a financial impact.

Simple. Ask them to leave. That'll hit them in the wallet AND free up some space on the course for faster groups to continue playing.

If you finish in 4 hours that's $60 to $120 per round.

If you finish in 3 hours then your cost is $45 to $90 dollars. Plus a ten percent discount on your next round.

I guess I can't play anymore if that happens. I could barely afford to play a 2 hour round.

You know what’s funny? Everyone is talking about the pros and why should we care when my original question was about your local course and how to enforce some sort of slow play penalty.

The problem begins with the guys on tv I agree but my concern is the 5-530hr rounds locally

As you've said both times, it's seen on TV and therefore is seen as acceptable. If local players start seeing the pros being penalised for slow play, and therefore see them not spending minutes over each shot, that might well make its way through on to the local courses.

Back