Correlation between Driving Distance and Money Earned on PGA TOUR

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
From the AimPoint twitter feed, this is a pretty stark difference.

They also don't compare it to anything from another generation (see Nicklaus).
#clickbait

It could be interpreted different ways. Perhaps better players tend to drive the ball farther. Or maybe driving the ball farther leads to lower scores. Or it could be both.

what's the N per bar? I bet there is a small number in the 1st and 5th.

edit: based roughly on current stats.

310-320 #8
300-310 #42
290-300 #86
280-290 #55
270-280 #9

a scatter plot of all pros would be more useful, I don't think the correlation would be as dramatic as this chart makes it look.

Not really shocking. I guess that’s a fairly normal stat. When you’re talking about a game where the object is to get as close as possible to a target, in the least amount of tries... the closer you start to the target the better chances you have.

I guess it is now drive for show and dough

what's the N per bar? I bet there is a small number in the 1st and 5th.

Good points.

Per the PGA Tour website, in 2018 there were 14 players who averaged 310-320 yards. There were five players in the 270-280 range, and that's only because the list stopped at 193 players.

Interesting....but not really surprising. If they did the Sr Tour would it look similar or completely different?

This is not surprising in anyway.

Weird how Troy Mullinax is not leading the money list...
And Cameron Champ is awfully quiet.

The correlation CAN be there, but those that are trying to make it an absolute are off base.

Weird how Troy Mullinax is not leading the money list...
And Cameron Champ is awfully quiet.

The correlation CAN be there, but those that are trying to make it an absolute are off base.

that's my thought too. when you watch coverage on pga tour live and they show graphics of the guys with the longest drives on a given hole, there are always 2-3 guys who you've never heard of. guys who miss cuts all the time, or fall apart on the weekend.

how much of these earnings does brooks alone account for? it's like saying nba salaries suggest that you should be born in ohio in order to make the most money, when in reality lebron and steph would be such a big piece of that pie.

There's more to it than hitting the ball a long way. You have to be able to putt well. You don't win unless you get the ball in the hole in fewer strokes than your competitor. Koepka has dominated in his wins because of both ... hitting it far & hitting greens. You can't do much if you don't hit the green too.

13th is driving distance at 308 yards
6th in birdies average per round with 4.32
3rd in scoring average with 69.265
9th in Strokes Gained in Approach to the Green .739 (so he's hitting his irons well into the green)
100th in putting average ... so he's not exactly putting the lights out.

Point being is you have to have more of a game than just the long ball. If that was the case, all of the Long Drive hitters would be on Tour.

Longer is better, but if you stand out in an area I think you just need to be long enough. The long enough number seems to go up though.

One reason I enjoy the masters and the open is those tournaments are setup with a good balance of playing for distance and playing for position

b4ffdcba3de66eab91a28f2aa3d8a71d.jpg

This chart is useless without showing how many players make up each distance category.

I believe that the point the chart is making is true. Longer players dominate the Tour but where I take issue is that this is NOTHING NEW. Longer hitters have dominated the Tour FOREVER.

Correlation between Driving Distance and Money Earned on PGA TOUR

The best players in the world have all around games and are good at hitting the ball far? Shocking.

The winners each week tend to be either leading the field or at the top of strokes gained putting and/or proximity to the hole on approach shots too.

I’d have to think leading one if not both of those stats on a weekly basis have a much higher positive correlation than driving distance vs money earned in a given week at least.

Hitting it long isn't the only thing, but there are too many courses on tour where it is a must-have instead of a nice-to-have. Bethpage Black was long hitters only.

Back