2019 Women’s British Open

DucatiGirl

Stoked for RWC2019
Reaction score
Handicap
My Height
(I didn’t see another thread, so if this is a duplicate, please merge or delete!)

Great start to the tournament and a lot of great names on the leaderboard

I watched some this morning, some really good golf was being played!

Don't know if i'm alone on this but i'm disappointed that the course is a parkland course, it's virtually cut out of a forest; 50 foot trees lining the fairways. To me any Open Championship - Men's, Senior's, or Women's - should be played on a links. It just doesn't have the right look; why can't the women play the same courses that make up the men's rotation?

Don't know if i'm alone on this but i'm disappointed that the course is a parkland course, it's virtually cut out of a forest; 50 foot trees lining the fairways. To me any Open Championship - Men's, Senior's, or Women's - should be played on a links. It just doesn't have the right look; why can't the women play the same courses that make up the men's rotation?

I'd agree with this. Play all the majors at those courses (PGA, LPGA, Seniors) but I'm guessing they are trying to spread out $$.

Watched this morning and will be watching all weekend. Love women's golf!

Yeah I was hoping for that links golf look too. Though the course is set up well for some of our young American women like Nelly and Megan.

I saw a bit this morning. It should be an interesting weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I watched about 5.5 hours of the coverage before I went and played golf. Got to see Georgia Hall's entire round so I was happy.

Glad I am not the only one who feels this way.

I agree with this also. Links courses should be a given for these major championships in the UK.

Ironically, it is the overseas players, especially Americans , who do not want to play links golf. They prefer parkland courses like the Marquess as they are similar to American and Korean courses. The last Women's British Open was held on a links course used by the Open, Lytham, and was won by a Brit, Georgia Hall. Holding them on links courses favours the Brits and Aussies as they grow up with links golf.

I prefer to see the Open at a links course, but I am biased because it is a pain having it my home course. BTW last week, the urinals in the members changing room were boxed off in preparation for the lady players to use the room this week. :confused2: Having seen some of the Chinese players, I'm not sure it was needed.

Shibuno and Salas are making some serious noise today! Disappointed to see Megan Khang trip up but hopefully she can turn in a better back 9.

I'm a little torn on the venue - Woburn is a great venue, but I love links golf.

The Open, just imo, should be at a Links course, otherwise it feels like just another tournament.

That being said, there is some good golf being played...but the fact it's so similar to other courses they play might just preclude different players rising to the top, and make it too homogeneous. I always enjoy watching the ladies though, they are so efficient and play so many different shots (using so many different clubs) that it's more varied about what's used.

Hoping the lead doesn't reach double digits by the end of today so Hall remains in easy striking distance heading into the weekend.

There are a few European players staking their claim for Captain's picks this week:
Bronte Law is actually playing alongside European captain Catriona Matthew yesterday/today, and she's lying second on -7, won't do her chances any harm.

I know it’s still super early in a 4 day tournament, but dang a five way tie for the lead is a lot of fun!

Shibuno is a joy to watch. We focus so much on golf swing and equipment that a lot of folks forget to have fun. I love seeing her having fun! She’s making the most of her first major.

There are a few European players staking their claim for Captain's picks this week:
Bronte Law is actually playing alongside European captain Catriona Matthew yesterday/today, and she's lying second on -7, won't do her chances any harm.

I’m doing the same Solheim watch on the American side too - biting fingernails for Megan Khang...

I'm just curious as to why it's acceptable to call it the Women's "British" Open, but when you refer to the Open as the British Open, you always see people get their knickers in a bunch.

I'm just curious as to why it's acceptable to call it the Women's "British" Open, but when you refer to the Open as the British Open, you always see people get their knickers in a bunch.

It's acceptable because that is its actual, official name. Just like the US Masters.

I typically still call the men's version the British Open. That's what I grew up with.

The Open is the same as the Masters…….and the same as the NFL and NBA. The Open was called that 100+ years ago, and like the Times was the first. Since then, the US has created its own tournament, known as the US Open. If we created a basketball league here and called it NBA, you would laugh at us if we referred to the NBA as the American NBA. And rightly so.

BTW the PGA exists and is the original unlike the PGA of America which tries to call itself the PGA, and refers to its championship incorrectly as the PGA Championship...……..it has nothing to do with the PGA.

http://www.pga.info/growing-the-game/who-we-are/our-history.aspx

I feel the same. That's what makes the Open so different from other US tournaments

Looks like its going to be a great tournament, i'll be busy this weekend watching these ladies golf their ball.

I'm just now seeing this course today on TV. It's very strange to not see this event played at a Links course.

Was hoping it would tighten up a bit more today. Still time but the leader is playing so darn steady.

Back