Shorts on the PGA Tour

Short pants are good for a picnic, walk on the beach, maybe relaxing around the house during the summer etc... For golf, not so much.

How in the world is a less stuffy, more approachable change in apparel a cultural and societal issue?!

I also assume you are against states rights too, yeah?

How in the world is a less stuffy, more approachable change in apparel a cultural and societal issue?!

It used to be that the concept of"appropriate dress for the occasion and, or circumstances" was understood, respected, even appreciated.
But in recent years it seems "all casual...all the time" is what people want and, or demand. This is a shame.
I understand the guy who wants to be able to wear his shorts, t-shirt and ball cap to his office, to the golf course, to Church, to an expensive restaurant etc... feels entitled to do so, but that doesn't mean I have to agree.

I guess I don't see how pants are different than pants from years ago. Dress pants are dress pants. How does the time period change that? Materials are different but they are still wearing pants. They aren't showing their hairy disgusting legs in either era.

Golf had always been set to a higher professional standard than other sports.

Shall we require pleats or pressed creases? Most golf pants are now flat front, not conforming to typical dress pants standards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It used to be that the concept of"appropriate dress for the occasion and, or circumstances" was understood, respected, even appreciated.
But in recent years it seems "all casual...all the time" is what people want and, or demand. This is a shame.
I understand the guy who wants to be able to wear his shorts, t-shirt and ball cap to his office, to the golf course, to Church, to an expensive restaurant etc... feels entitled to do so, but that doesn't mean I have to agree.

While your example is purposeful taking things to the extreme, I’ll address it - if the office permits the casual dress, it is appropriate and the employer sets that. I know of top law firms that require suits everyday and top law firms that are completely casual. This applies to many industries.

If the expensive restaurant permits it, it is appropriate and they set that. I enjoy plenty of jacket-only places but many other expensive places don’t care.

The common thread? If the powers that be permit something, it is therefore appropriate. you can certainly overdress to your hearts content but you can’t dictate to others when it is permitted by the governing entity.

Thankfully, when you make the tour you can take the jacket and tie with you. That doesn’t mean that Justin Thomas couldn’t wear shorts if the PGA says he can.

Go ahead - tell me I’m wrong.

Do you have avatars turned off in your settings? Seriously, how is that even related to people not wanting to look at some guys hairy legs and would rather look at professional dress attire?

Do you have avatars turned off in your settings? Seriously, how is that even related to people not wanting to look at some guys hairy legs and would rather look at professional dress attire?

You are against allowing tournaments making a decision on what they believe is best for them and what they want. Seems like a parallel line of logic to me.

Completely agree. Its people not having respect for their location or activity they are participating in.

Completely agree. Its people not having respect for their location or activity they are participating in.

This always cracks me up, who gets to determine what’s “not having respect for their location and activity”?

Did Bobby Jones write a novella on it I missed?

You are against allowing tournaments making a decision on what they believe is best for them and what they want. Seems like a parallel line of logic to me.

How was that said earlier....oh!

TELL IT !

While your example is purposeful taking things to the extreme, I’ll address it - if the office permits the casual dress, it is appropriate and the employer sets that. I know of top law firms that require suits everyday and top law firms that are completely casual. This applies to many industries.

If the expensive restaurant permits it, it is appropriate and they set that. I enjoy plenty of jacket-only places but many other expensive places don’t care.

The common thread? If the powers that be permit something, it is therefore appropriate. you can certainly overdress to your hearts content but you can’t dictate to others when it is permitted by the governing entity.

Thankfully, when you make the tour you can take the jacket and tie with you. That doesn’t mean that Justin Thomas couldn’t wear shorts if the PGA says he can.

Go ahead - tell me I’m wrong.

Your point seems to be "the owner of the business decides what is the appropriate, permitted dress policy". Is that right ?
If so, my response is that enough people have now felt entitled to wear what they want, whenever they want, that offices and, or, business like restaurants and golf courses have relaxed their dress code to accommodate same. That's what has happened, and I get it, but I don't have to like it.

completely agree. Its people not having respect for their location or activity they are participating in.

​Tell it !

What a surreal thread.

I’ve started wearing T Shirts when I’ve played the last few weeks, just for the rush. I’ve got to tell you, it’s freeing. (For the record I prefer athletic polos to cotton Ts, but for the sake of the experiment right?) You guys have to give it a shot.

Late July in Memphis and the guys are playing in pants. That’s madness, performance material or not.

I'll be wearing shorts at the THP Championship so you all can get a good gander at my thick muscular calves

I need to check the temps for the championship, I could go either way with the pants or shorts.

Can't be getting a chill, they keep the temps pretty warm in the assisted living home.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I say let them wear shorts

Would you rather see Lefty in shorts, Ricky in his joggers, or John Daly in his loudmouth trousers?

I'll be wearing shorts at the THP Championship so you all can get a good gander at my thick muscular calves

Photos or it didn’t happen. And I’m expecting Phil level calves!

It's unprofessional and looks bad. The same thing applies to professional musicians. Are there really any professionals left in America?

Professional here, at a Fortune 100 company, responsible for a system thru which several billion $ flows thru each year.

I wore shorts, flip flops and a golf shirt to work today.

So did my boss, and many of the 500+ professionals we employ.

We measure their work product, not their attire. As good professional leaders should.

Anyone can micromanage a dress code. That’s easy.

Practice or not, shorts is an unprofessional look for a Tour player (or a caddie).
Traditionally, men were not permitted to wear shorts on a golf course, and some private clubs still maintain that policy. For example,here in Northern California men are forbidden to wear shorts at San Francisco GC as well as Cypress Point GC. It's a good rule.

What is your position regarding the LPGA’s policy on shorts?

Professional here, at a Fortune 100 company, responsible for a system thru which several billion $ flows thru each year.

I wore shorts, flip flops and a golf shirt to work today.

So did my boss, and many of the 500+ professionals we employ.

We measure their work product, not their attire. As good professional leaders should.

Anyone can micromanage a dress code. That’s easy.

My wife worked as an exec at Silicon Valley Fortune 10 company for many years where jeans, shorts, t shirts and sometimes no shoes were common. A golf shirt with shorts would be considered overdressed by many at her workplace.

I don’t have a problem with shorts for PGA Tour events but it’s a slippery slope - the next step will be allowing tank tops and
Denim.

I say let them wear shorts

Would you rather see Lefty in shorts, Ricky in his joggers, or John Daly in his loudmouth trousers?

don't forget Adam Scott's pleated slacks... :golf3:

Let them wear shorts if they want. I think you will find that very few will all the time, and those that do it will only be for rounds in the afternoon on hot days. I can't see many pulling the shorts out for a morning round at Pebble or Torry Pines, or for any round at any Open Championship venue.

One thing I don't think many people realize is that over the course of several hours, it can get really hot on the course. It's easy for us, in a covered cart with the wind blowing on us between shots, waiting under a shade tree, etc., these guys don't get any of that inside the ropes.

Finally, shorts are not what they were in the 70s and 80s and before. No one will be going out there in super short and tight shorts.

Back