Shorts on the PGA Tour

My wife worked as an exec at Silicon Valley Fortune 10 company for many years where jeans, shorts, t shirts and sometimes no shoes were common. A golf shirt with shorts would be considered overdressed by many at her workplace.

I don’t have a problem with shorts for PGA Tour events but it’s a slippery slope - the next step will be allowing tank tops and
Denim.

I could go t-shirt here, but I often head straight to the golf course for a quick 9 after work, so I wear golf shirts quite a bit.

Funny, isn't it? Golf's dress code is more strict that my work dress code.

Our work dress code is basically "use common sense and don't be sloppy." That's it. Most people get it. We don't see a lot of cutoffs or dirty t-shirts or tank tops. We subscribe to the idea of getting the right people on the bus and letting that sort of stuff take care of itself.

Now, if we have big clients coming in, we'll hip things up a bit. Hey everyone, Such and Such Customer will be here tomorrow - throw on a pair of jeans and some shoes, wouldya? The team is so appreciative of the general flexibility we give them that it's never a problem when we ask them to step things up a notch.

The notion that "professionals" don't wear jeans or shorts is, IMHO, based on a narrow idea of what constitutes a professional. Sales? Yeah, ok. I get it. But the fact that our crew dresses down does not make them less of a professional any more than putting a cat in a chicken suit makes them a chicken. They're just in a different setting with different requirements.

Back to the thread topic: the real question here is what the requirements should be on the tour, not whether or not wearing shorts is "professional." It's an outdoor athletic activity played in varying weather including (sometimes) fairly extreme heat. I'd think in those cases that shorts would be appropriate.

NBA players are professionals... maybe they should wear suits? I'm being absurd, I know.

Let them wear shorts if they want. I think you will find that very few will all the time, and those that do it will only be for rounds in the afternoon on hot days. I can't see many pulling the shorts out for a morning round at Pebble or Torry Pines, or for any round at any Open Championship venue.

One thing I don't think many people realize is that over the course of several hours, it can get really hot on the course. It's easy for us, in a covered cart with the wind blowing on us between shots, waiting under a shade tree, etc., these guys don't get any of that inside the ropes.

Finally, shorts are not what they were in the 70s and 80s and before. No one will be going out there in super short and tight shorts.

I've worn pants and shorts in comparable temps and, honestly, don't think I was any warmer (dare I say cooler) in the pants.

Just as shorts aren't what they were in the 70's and 80's, pants are far from the same as well. If you get breathable pants, the fact that the sun isn't beating down on your legs makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Yes, I wish they would allow shorts on tour.

I think properly tailored shorts are not an issue, but super tight budgie smugglers would be wrong.

I've worn pants and shorts in comparable temps and, honestly, don't think I was any warmer (dare I say cooler) in the pants.

Just as shorts aren't what they were in the 70's and 80's, pants are far from the same as well. If you get breathable pants, the fact that the sun isn't beating down on them makes a difference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tell it !

I think they should be able to where shorts, whats the big deal.

why would i want my contractor and their team to look like a bunch of suits?

I'd prefer something like this, you know, people that work

vABPghA.jpg

slacks to build a house, that's a good one :banana:

Man, I finally found it. I didn't have any intention of going in and reading this whole thread as I've seen how these seem to turn out every time. But, Tapatalk was showing this picture as the preview and I had to figure out where Mike Holmes fit into this discussion.

For the record, I don't think I've ever seen a construction crew in nicely pressed uniforms. And, shorts should be allowed on the PGA tour. Carry on.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I think properly tailored shorts are not an issue, but super tight budgie smugglers would be wrong.

#golfthong

#speedobirdie

:good:

why would i want my contractor and their team to look like a bunch of suits?

I'd prefer something like this, you know, people that work

vABPghA.jpg

slacks to build a house, that's a good one :banana:

Absolutely; could not agree more.

I had 3 roofers come out and bid on my place. Two of them looked like they worked for a living. One had on pressed dockers, had his shirt tucked in with a logo on it... when I shook his hand there were ZERO callouses. I don't think he's ever swung a hammer in his life.

He tried to get me to sign a contract without surveying the damage or even walking/measuring the roof.

I told him to get the $#@! off of my lawn.

Who was the professional? The well-dressed guy who tried to swindle me, or the hard-working blue collar guy who got the bid and did a great job?

Judging one's professionalism strictly by their attire is silly. I know plenty of morons in suits.

I would prefer no shorts. Golf can be hard enough to watch as it is.

No thank you!

Back