How cooperative are the PGA Tour and The European Tour?

Parrot

2025 Worldwide Golf Championship - Team ?????
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The discussion about Olesen, and Garcia earlier, got me curious whether the PGA Tour and European Tour, or any of the world tours, are cooperative in player discipline. Does one tour levy a reciprocal punishment if a player is sanctioned on another tour?

Garcia is a member of both Tours, I believe. His conduct this year that has some folks riled has been in Euro Tour events. Part of the discussion here and elsewhere has been that a Euro Tour suspension wouldn't be effective because, among other reasons, he would play in American while suspended. Is it not within the the purview of the PGA Tour to issue a reciprocal punishment?

I'm not saying he should or shouldn't be suspended. I'm just curious about the possibility of the reciprocity of player discipline between the tours.

It's been mentioned that Olesen isn't a member of the PGA Tour. If the European Tour imposed some punishment upon him for his antics on the plane, could (and I suppose, would) the PGA Tour issue some concurrent discipline to prevent him from playing in its events, however he might qualify for them?

I would hope that would be the case. We certainly don't need their rejects and problem children.

Not sure about reciprocity of discipline among the various tours. I think that you have to look at the bylaws of the PGA Tour regarding discipline and suspension. You would need to see if they would honor a disciplinary action taken against a non-member by a golf governing body or another professional golf tour should that person attempt to play in a PGA tour event. If the bylaws are silent as to the issue, then the PGA may be powerless to prevent the non-member from playing in PGA tour events.

Back