The Viktor Hovland rule

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Last edited:
As a big fan of Viktor, I'm in favor of this one.

As a big fan of Viktor, I'm in favor of this one.

I think so, too. Has it affected anyone else in recent history?

As a common sense fan, I’m a fan of this. Granted he would have come up one point shy anyway, knowing what you need vs having no idea is a big difference.

Makes sense to me. Why limit a talented person's ability to earn?

I'm in support of this change. it just makes sense to me.

I'm good with the change. It seems like common sense.

I really like the guy and found myself disappointed that he still has work to do to earn his status. With all that he's accomplished it seems like he should have it by now. It makes me think the status rules as a whole are probably a little convoluted. Especially the rules regarding the number of sponsors exemptions a non-member is allowed (7). For example, maybe that number gets extended for each cut a player makes. The rule seems like it was meant to keep non-performers out, but it punishes someone like Hovland who has just flat out performed any time he's given the opportunity.

I too like this change.

It does make sense. He should make it thru the finals okay though.

I approve of this change, great move!

Makes a lot of sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's more amazing, that this rule existed in the first place, or that the USGA finally did the right thing with a rule change?

What's more amazing, that this rule existed in the first place, or that the USGA finally did the right thing with a rule change?

Classic USGA... Make the change after its been antiquated for decades....

I'm good with the change. It seems like common sense.

I really like the guy and found myself disappointed that he still has work to do to earn his status. With all that he's accomplished it seems like he should have it by now. It makes me think the status rules as a whole are probably a little convoluted. Especially the rules regarding the number of sponsors exemptions a non-member is allowed (7). For example, maybe that number gets extended for each cut a player makes. The rule seems like it was meant to keep non-performers out, but it punishes someone like Hovland who has just flat out performed any time he's given the opportunity.

T10 or better gets another entry. The rule is fine I think. It is meant to give a shot to young players who if they play like a superstar they are in and if not they have to qualify just like everyone else through q school. I don't see the issue honestly.

I'm more curious on what the PGA Tour does....will they go forward and retro award FedEx Cup points to a player like him who played in events during the season as an Am, and then turned pro later. That decision would have more effect on a player trying to gain their tour card than this one does IMO.

I doubt they change it but I imagine you will see way less events entered as an AM. Guys going pro will do it after the Masters most likely. The one off exemptions for college players still in school won't matter much.

Looks like it’s all going to work out for him either way, all he needs is to finish top 25 today and he’s in the lead headed into the final round with the lead.

Jman;n8889273 said:
Looks like it’s all going to work out for him either way, all he needs is to finish top 25 today and he’s in the lead headed into the final round with the lead.

His card is all but locked up but man, kid is getting a bit snakebit out there. Shoot -18 and lose to guys dropping 65’s on you to finish one back. I’m sure it won’t bother him too much but man that’s gotta sting a bit

MWard;n8889741 said:
His card is all but locked up but man, kid is getting a bit snakebit out there. Shoot -18 and lose to guys dropping 65’s on you to finish one back. I’m sure it won’t bother him too much but man that’s gotta sting a bit

Card is his. I’d imagine with that on the mind he doesn’t mind finishing 2nd.

Jman;n8889760 said:
Card is his. I’d imagine with that on the mind he doesn’t mind finishing 2nd.

As long as he keeps that up, he should have no problem with events next year. He keeps it going, fall season is his for the taking.

Saw that earlier. Happy for him that he locked it up. That's gotta be a huge weight off his shoulders.

Tom Lewis came through winning the Tour Championship of the Korn Ferry over the weekend. He qualified due to non member earnings exemption to final round, put together an impressive four round win , and now has his PGA card...this makes little sense. He has done less than the old tour school graduates as they played six rounds he has only done four.

Wait to see this door rightly closed next year.

Back