JDay parts ways with Stevie

Tweet tags don't work yet on this version?

Either way, I thought Stevie was brought in to make Jason Day get on the right track and start working like he wanted to be the best player in the world again. I guess that didn't last long since he has a friend back on the bag again.

Clearly things sounded better on paper for them instead of the actual execution of the partnership. No shame in saying “hey we tried”.

Canadan;n8874141 said:
The J Day story is a fascinating one to me.

What a quick rise and fall, with bandaids strewn everywhere lmao
So true.
When he won at Whistling Straights it was easy to assume he would be a dominant force for a few years at least. It seems he lost it as quick as he found it.

ArmyGolf;n8874147 said:
So true.
When he won at Whistling Straights it was easy to assume he would be a dominant force for a few years at least. It seems he lost it as quick as he found it.

the sad thing is that JDay has it all - looooong, wizard out of bunkers, impeccable short game, unreal putter

Canadan;n8874141 said:
The J Day story is a fascinating one to me.

What a quick rise and fall, with bandaids strewn everywhere lmao

I'm with you here. I've never been his biggest cheerleader, but I hope he can figure it out. He's a great role model for the kids, and to have someone like him at the top is great for the game.

He is one guy I can always count on to stink if I pick him on DraftKings. He never does good when I expect him to LOL!

Last edited:
No real surprise, never seemed like a good fit.

First time Day's name has been mentioned in quite some time sadly.

Sucks to see his trend continue downward but Stevie seems to be a pain for more than just Tiger

Hopefully he'll figure out his form again and be competitive. But man... he's one I have a hard time watching. Something about that closed eye pause behind the ball that drives me nuts.

DataDude;n8874185 said:
He is one guy I can always count on to stink if I pick him on DraftKings. He never does good when I expect him to LOL!

It's him, Rory and Rickie Fowler for me in the majors contests a bunch of my friends have.

PhillyV;n8874461 said:
Sucks to see his trend continue downward but Stevie seems to be a pain for more than just Tiger

Williams has been on some pretty legendary bags in his career. When you get used to some of the highest level of ballstriking ability in the game with Norman, Floyd, and Woods, you kinda don’t want to settle for less.

MWard;n8874488 said:
Williams has been on some pretty legendary bags in his career. When you get used to some of the highest level of ballstriking ability in the game with Norman, Floyd, and Woods, you kinda don’t want to settle for less.

Which I get, but then again hes never hit one shot. His job is to carry the bag and be a support system. If that was what he was doing would Day drop him so quickly?

PhillyV;n8874550 said:
Which I get, but then again hes never hit one shot. His job is to carry the bag and be a support system. If that was what he was doing would Day drop him so quickly?

Probably asked him for one too many balloon animals after bad shots or injuries.

From the Golf Channel article:

"Parting with Steve was a mutual decision and not an easy one to make," Day said in the report. "He is the ultimate pro; it was a real learning experience being exposed to a caddie who has achieved what Steve has. He has worked with the best. But it was a disconnect of old school and new school."

That's an interesting way to put it and subject to several different interpretations.

Parrot;n8874571 said:
From the Golf Channel article:

That's an interesting way to put it and subject to several different interpretations.

I'm still confused. I thought he brought him in because he needed someone to push him and help make him work harder to be the best in the world again. Then this sounds like "he's too mean and is making me work harder than I want to."

gmiller598;n8874135 said:
Tweet tags don't work yet on this version?

Either way, I thought Stevie was brought in to make Jason Day get on the right track and start working like he wanted to be the best player in the world again. I guess that didn't last long since he has a friend back on the bag again.
I agree about Stevie getting Day back on the right track! Thought Stevie would work well with Day...even thought Day would win right away as soon as Stevie was on his bag, although didn’t happen. Wondering if Day’s occasional slow play caused problems for Stevie.

Looks like Day May have already had his day in the sun. He doesn’t strike me as someone who will do whatever it takes to win. I see A lot of the bigger stars grinding and striving to change and continue to win (DJ, Rose,TW etc). Never been a fan. I really hate when he “visualizes” a shot. It looks like he is in a trance.

Jason who? Is he that fella with a funny accent?

Kidding aside, between injury and raising a family it doesn’t appear that he’s motivated much anymore. I could be wrong but seems he kind of fell into that Rory type syndrome. Early wealth and success and priorities change. To be the best you have to commit to being the best, both in being willing to put in the work and mentally. Happens a lot in a lot of different sports.

Fun factoid, he married a girl from one of my rival schools here in cow country Ohio.

It seems like Jason Day first started struggling when his mother passed away. Then the back has been balky. This game is so difficult. There are many who seemed headed towards lasting stardom, lost it and could never get it back. As far as Stevie goes, I think all of his success with Tiger would have made it difficult for him not to be the tail wagging the dog with lesser players, but I truly have no idea and am in no place to judge.

Back