Change The FedEx Cup Playoffs

I would scrap them and apologize to fans for wasting their time for the last few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Match Play format for at least the last week (prefer the last two) and I'm in. People can talk about what if Chez Reavie & (insert some other journeyman here) make it to the final but how is that fundamentally different than Patrick Reed playing like bleep most of the year but then going from #50 to #2 in one week. Or Bill Haas going from 25th to first in the last week.

Match play is not a contrived form of competition built on some mathematical equation solely intended to tilt the odds in way that prevent two different people from winning the Tour Championship & the Fed Ex Cup. Match play would require the champion to achieve 5-6 wins in a row against some of the best players in the game. I stopped really caring about the Fed Ex cup several years ago because it is basically a made for TV event with (IMO) little competitive credibility. I will watch way more of the US Am this weekend than I will the Fed Ex Cup.

Was Texas Tech making the Final game this year really that detrimental to the NCAA? What about the year UConn won and Butler & VCU made the Final Four? So what if a certain % of bandwagon fans tune out the years Duke, Kansas & MI State get upset. The brand is still relevant because real basketball fans embrace the underdogs and embrace the competitive purity that is March Madness.

They need to stop complicating it, it was 4 events, now its 3 events, now there is some weird way of scoring the tour championship giving guys a score to start with, it's only 30 players all PGA pro's that played pretty well to get there, no one needs a head start, also how can they call it playoff when people missed the cut or WD'd last week yet are still playing in the playoffs? If you have to create an entire web page at pgatour.com to explain the "playoff" you may have over complicated it

Forget the "Playoffs" and just do normal full field events w/ the top 30 FedEx point leaders going to the Tour Championship, maybe even expand it to the top 50 & let them battle it out for the Fedex Cup, no head starts everyone starts at even. Last year Phil finished 30th and still won $144k Plus FedEx Bonus pool money, so it's worth while to show up, even if you know you cannot win the Cup.

By The Way if you finish 150th on the money list you still get a $70k bonus from the FedEx Bonus pool, tour player's get paid even if they are home watching on TV.

Mark_UK;n8877098 said:
I would scrap them and apologize to fans for wasting their time for the last few years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly !

How about having them at the end of the year instead of halfway through?

I'm going to piggy back off what others have mentioned previously... I kind of like making next week's Tour Championship for all the marbles and scrap all the points/weird scoring after today. Part of the fun of today has been the 30 person cut line. The regular season and/or playoffs should culminate w/ players getting in that tournament. Then anything goes.

It's like that in most sports. The best regular season team rarely ends up the champion at the end. The one thing golf has over team sports (prob. tennis too) is they have the majors. You keep them and then make that last tournament almost comparable.

Simplify the system so it's easier to follow. Something like a win is worth 100 points, second place is 95, third is 90, etc. And make the majors count more (maybe double) towards the point standings. I like the gradual cut down of the field from week to week in the playoffs.

They’’re going to keep tweaking it every year until the right people start winning again.

I believe they have messed up the entire season....The Majors are too close together now and the FedEx is 3 events instead of 4. Quit the head start in the last event, go back to it you make it to the final event, everything resets to Zero. We all know that anyone can win on a given Sunday, so make it so. If you make it to the final, everyone starts at zero. Put the majors back and quit the wrap around season. go back to having a few silly season events like the Wendy's 3 tour challenge, Skills Shoot out and skins games....makes everyone wait for the First tournament- The tour Championship in Hawaii

Last edited:
I actually really like the advantage that is created by using FedEx cup points leading up to the final tournament, however I do think they went a bit crazy with the points awarded in the playoffs. JT's one win in the playoffs is worth more than Koepka's three wins (including a major) and that's a bit much.

I also feel like the season is a bit rushed, but I wasn't complaining when we got big tournament every few weeks.

DataDude;n8876699 said:
I have a solution, just dont do it. The Majors are all that matter to anyone but the biggest golf fans and we would all watch the Tour Championship anyway.

Bingo.

There's no reason for the FedEx Cup Playoffs. None. At least other than it being a huge money grab for the pros and sponsors.

The whole concept started with some desire for pro golf to have a playoff format. Because apparently it needed a postseason? That's not even a thing. Golf events take place no matter what, and the world's best are going to play (some of) them when they can.

Bring back the Wonderful World of Golf, Skins Game, and other "post-season" smaller events of yesteryear.

Playoffs dont actually matter. It's just a money grab because the money is just sitting there.

The talking heads have spent 10-20 years smashing into our brains that Majors are all that matter at the end of the day. Now they are backpedaling because they've realized the monster they've created. They are questioning Koepka's approach that Majors are the only events worth trying for, and trying to convince us that these arbitrary playoffs are important. Nobody will remember who won the FedEx Cup 10 years from now. Heck, I forgot Rose won it last year until I heard it on a podcast this morning.

With the possible exception of JT's flurry of action on Saturday the US Am was a much better tournament. Had not heard of more than 4 or 5 of the guys who made it to match play but it was a good watch. Didn't tune in for any of the Sunday Fed Ex cup action.

Off topic but for the record Faxon is easily the best color guy doing golf on TV right now. How Zinger got Miller's gig over him is criminal.

Hate the head start concept and not likely to watch much this weekend either.

The Tour Championship has been reduced to a farce. The ten shot head start is an insult to JT and will make the result a joke. If JT beats Tommy Fleetwood by one, how hollow a victory would it be.

I would not watch it if they played in my back yard.

Back