President Cup captain's picks? Does Tiger pick himself?

Tee/Ski;n8882976 said:
Title says it all: Two questions.

1. Does Tiger pick himself? Does he currently have the game?

2. Overall who do you think the four Captain's picks will be?

1. He doesn't have it right now and I don't think that he'll pick himself, although he is 13th in the standings(?!). He seems far less ego-driven in the past year (not to make that a negative thing, but that's a pro athlete's mindset).

2. I'd pick Finau, Woodland, Sneds, and Glover/Fowler/Kisner.

My thoughts are that he won't pick himself so he can focus on his responsibilities.

I'm going with Fowler, Finau, Reed, Woodland as his picks.

As long as he doesn't pick Phil, I don't really care who he picks. I don't think he will pick himself. Does anyone even really care about the PC? I've watched and followed the heck put of Ryder Cup action over the years but not sure I have actually ever watched a PC.

As much as I love watching Tiger play, I think he will do the right thing and focus on his captain responsibilities. There are too many quality players to make up the picks. With a lot of travel coming up including Japan, he needs to prioritize his playing and focus on being ready for 2020 majors.

Woodland has had 2 top 10s (the PGA and US Open) in the last 6 months and missed more cuts (2) than he has top 20s (one) since winning at Pebble. He had a really good run from October to February. I don’t think simply being the US Open winner gets him a spot.

And, no, I don’t think Cat picks himself.

Finau .Reed and Fowler are favourites as they did well in previous match play cups, and I would like Woodland , especially as I think he would be a good team man. Put Reed with Woodland and kid Reed into thinking he will mentor him. Having seen Woodland bring out the best in the lovely young girl at the 16th in the desert, he would be ideal for Reed.

I don't think I've ever watched a PC but depending on who's playing I may make an effort. I don't think tiger would pick himself, but hoping these young guys step up

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I hope not, had he played his into the top 8 then ok it's automatic, but with his health issues it would be a shame if he picked himself then could not play due to injury

My guess is that the Tour commissioner is going to ask Tiger to make himself a Captain's pick. Pro golf is a business and t.v. ratings, ad dollars etc... are part of it. When Tiger plays I think the numbers of worldwide viewers is much higher than when he does not play.

Seeing news that Tiger had arthroscopic knee surgery and will resume practicing in a few weeks. Does this change anyone’s thoughts about him picking himself?

jdtox;n8892055 said:
Seeing news that Tiger had arthroscopic knee surgery and will resume practicing in a few weeks. Does this change anyone’s thoughts about him picking himself?

I don't think he would have picked himself regardless.... Its time to pass the mantle and hope golf fans are willing to watch the young guns

My opinion as competitive as Tiger is he doesn’t select himself as a captain’s pick. He hasn’t been playing that well, add in the recent surgery and I see him not playing.

He should not pick himself especially after another knee surgery.

I think he should give some consideration to Wolff and Morikawa. They both played great in a high pressure quest to earn their tour cards. Plus, they are the future of the American teams for the PC and RC.

mmaynard11;n8892093 said:
My opinion as competitive as Tiger is he doesn’t select himself as a captain’s pick. He hasn’t been playing that well, add in the recent surgery and I see him not playing.

I agree with you but TW sure could make it interesting. Let's say he plays well in the skins game against Rory and the others and in the Zozo in China. He hasn't committed to playing (that I've seen) the HSBC the very next week but could add it late. A win in one of those could create some drama.

Bernoulli;n8892110 said:
He should not pick himself especially after another knee surgery.

I think he should give some consideration to Wolff and Morikawa. They both played great in a high pressure quest to earn their tour cards. Plus, they are the future of the American teams for the PC and RC.

I'd love to see both of them pick up a win and play well leading up to the week of 11/4 when picks are announced.

Could care less whether Tiger picks himself, sort of hope he doesn't as he seems to have worn himself out this season. But one player I will fight for, Tony Finau! He has been so consistent and sure he did really well and has proven that he can play! Would be sad to see him not get the nod from Tiger.

what the what?!

44d37a20eec89bc260a7d4d691752f34.jpg

McLovin;n8907568 said:
what the what?!

44d37a20eec89bc260a7d4d691752f34.jpg

At first I didn't want him to, but then after reading he did, got me all fired up.

Big effing Cat.

OITW;n8907589 said:
At first I didn't want him to, but then after reading he did, got me all fired up.

Big effing Cat.

i think it would be great for the ratings. and i hope he plays well.

McLovin;n8907608 said:
i think it would be great for the ratings. and i hope he plays well.

Agreed, at least better than he did the last 5 months.

Wouldn't be the worst pick. I think he does.

I think it is more of a ticket selling ploy than anything else. I know he'll help TV ratings -which will give the Tour corporate wood - but I just don't see Tiger picking himself, negating someone else's good play, when he hasn't been competitive since Pebble. If he plays very well in the two events he's scheduled to play between now and then, the conversation is obviously different. As it may be for others who could play themselves into the picture.

Just take a look at the signature...

tiger_screengrab.jpg

Back