Why Has the LPGA Korean Dominance Not Translated to the PGA Tour?

Sox_Fan

Go Sox!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Cold Temps
We obviously all know the huge success that South Korean women have been experiencing for several years. There has been some mild success with Korean players on the PGA Tour with 2 Players Championships (K.J. Ckoi and Si Woo Kim) being probably the biggest PGA wins to date. Meanwile the ladies are racking up numerous Majors (winning 3 of 5 in 2019).

What do you attribute the difference to?

Part of it is the mandatory service requirements for males in Korea. The men would have a 4 year break for their service time where the women do not.

Snickerdog;n8883800 said:
Part of it is the mandatory service requirements for males in Korea. The men would have a 4 year break for their service time where the women do not.

Good point. I forgot about that.

Do you think work ethic plays a part? I have heard that the South Korean women have legendary work ethic and dedication when it comes to golf. If it were a natural gift, I would think we would have seen more success from the men even with the service requirement.

The service is a tough one, but I also think the tour was already deeper at the time golf took off in South Korea.

Snickerdog;n8883800 said:

I think it’s two years, but..... still a factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still believe it’s still physical. Generally speaking Koreans or most asians are shorter and less strong compare to non-asian counter part. You generally can hit further if you are taller and stronger. Not many 6’ or taller asian golfer out there. There are good players that are short but to dominate at the top. You have to have physical gift.
For women golfers. Koreans are not that far off from non-asian golfers.

i would think it’s disparate priorities and financial commitments. this is all assumption, but i don’t think as many american girls are pushed hard to excel at sports as boys. if american parents pushed their girls as hard as korean parents, and if american golf schools for girls were as well funded and properly staffed, i think the americans would be more dominant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sox_Fan;n8883845 said:
Good point. I forgot about that.

Do you think work ethic plays a part? I have heard that the South Korean women have legendary work ethic and dedication when it comes to golf. If it were a natural gift, I would think we would have seen more success from the men even with the service requirement.

The work ethic of the Korean people is above and beyond.
I am sure status plays a part in Korea for sure, not everyone is going to have access to golf over there.
Totally going on assumption here.

All Korean's have a very, very strong work ethic. It's so incredible to see. The service component must have something to do with it, They serve two years. Other than that I'm out of ideas.

This is great conversation. I have no idea why they aren’t more prevalent on the PGA and Korn ferry tours. I know they absolutely love golf though. I’ve met a lot of them getting randomly paired up and they live for the game.

I think the women’s game is still evolving and certainly not as established as men’s game. I would also point to US presence in Korea over the past 50+ years (look at evolution of baseball in Korea) align that with progressive gains for women in Korea and over time the gains seem clear.

Back