Should the Tour Championship count as a Tournament Win?

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
Last year in the Tour Championship Tiger Woods was the best player in the (limited) field, scored the best in relation to par, and notched his historic 80th win. It was a huge moment, and despite the field size no one is discounting his win.

Under the new format, the player that scores the best during the week doesn't necessarily walk away with the win. Under these rules Justin Rose would have won the event last year. Were that to happen again this year, let's say Brooks Koepka wins by one shot, but doesn't shoot the best score during the week, should this count as another tournament win? Or should the FedEx Cup be regarded in its own light but given the scoring changes, no longer count as an "official win?"

so the guy who finishes with the lowest score at the tournament doesn’t get the win? what kind of fraggle knocker bullsh1t is this?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8884095 said:
so the guy who finishes with the lowest score at the tournament doesn’t get the win? what kind of fraggle knocker bullsh1t is this?!

Hahaha if I could’ve typed that out instead of reading it from you I would’ve. Why do they try and complicate things for the avg everyday ho hum golfer and golf fan?

“Grow the game” lol....right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McLovin;n8884095 said:

Fraggle knocker might be my favorite thing I have ever read on THP.

McLovin;n8884095 said:

Winning the FedEx Cup doesn’t always mean a win at the actual tournament . At least it hasn’t in the past. The person still wins $15M and a nice trophy which are both nice consolation prizes.

Just not sure starting out the week with certain scores allows for the event win to also count as an official tournament win.

Absolutely, just because it's a bit flawed doesn't mean it's not a legit tourney.

I’m going to guess this will be the only year with this format but since everyone who tees it up is guaranteed at least $390k they are all winners.

This is something that I have not thought about, but makes perfect sense. I think obedt might be the smartest person here.

I think it should count, you are playing against the 30 best golfers of the year.

JB;n8884148 said:
This is something that I have not thought about, but makes perfect sense. I think obedt might be the smartest person here.

I just think weird things JB. Maybe it was worth a discussion. I can see both sides to the argument tbf

Reactions: JB
obedt;n8884064 said:
Last year in the Tour Championship Tiger Woods was the best player in the (limited) field, scored the best in relation to par, and notched his historic 80th win. It was a huge moment, and despite the field size no one is discounting his win.

Under the new format, the player that scores the best during the week doesn't necessarily walk away with the win. Under these rules Justin Rose would have won the event last year. Were that to happen again this year, let's say Brooks Koepka wins by one shot, but doesn't shoot the best score during the week, should this count as another tournament win? Or should the FedEx Cup be regarded in its own light but given the scoring changes, no longer count as an "official win?"

I hate the new FedEx Cup Tour champ
Format

It’s season long the best 30 should
Vie
For both a
Tournament win and the Tour Championship

I like that the winner if it’s someone coming from even par will take down the $15 million

I don’t like the different starting points that’s dumb

Sure. Champ might not be the straight stroke play champ, But neither is match play or stableford tourneys.

This week's winner with the member-guest handicap gets the FedEx Cup, but the true stroke play winning score gets the OWGR points and the real win (afaik; not that anybody will care about that).

I like this new format. But maybe winning a major should be worth more points.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

JB;n8884108 said:
Fraggle knocker might be my favorite thing I have ever read on THP.

haha i can’t take credit for it. it’s damon wayans still standing circa 1997. and i even got it wrong, it’s “fragger knockle” not sure which is funnier lol

about 20 minutes in (nsfw)
https://youtu.be/Egb8Nev22N0

With this format I don't think it should be counted as a win. I like the OWGR points being determined by true strokes though.

When this format was announced last year I hated the idea, but so far I've warmed up to it. It added just a little more drama to the last round of the BMW. As for the staggered start, it probably won't matter much by Saturday unless one of the top 3 or 4 guys runs away with it. If JT can keep the feels from last weekend nobody is going to catch him, but we all know GOLF is a four letter word and anything can happen.

You know? This is something I haven’t really thought about. Like you I’ve warmed to the idea of the “head start”, and now that you mention it I don’t think it should count as a career win, since the conditions are different from any other event.

Though, I guess if someone comes from behind, it’s more of an achievement than a usual win.

McLovin;n8884095 said:

What’s a fraggle knocker?

brianmk24;n8884449 said:
This week's winner with the member-guest handicap gets the FedEx Cup, but the true stroke play winning score gets the OWGR points and the real win (afaik; not that anybody will care about that).

I didn't know how the OWGR handled this event. You're right brian... The OWGR will award points for the event, but will go off a scoring system where everyone starts at par like any other tournament. Here's an interesting report on it:

https://thegolfnewsnet.com/golfnews...king-points-with-separate-leaderboard-113031/

Since the format change was announced, there's been concern in golf circles about the Official World Golf Ranking awarding points to the declared winner of the tournament using the handicap format. It didn't make sense, but not awarding points to a field of that caliber also would have a negative impact on a player despite earning their way into an elite tournament.

With that in mind, the Associated Press reports the PGA Tour took the step of submitting a plan to the Official World Golf Ranking that would award points to the field based solely on the on-course results of the 72-hole tournament. With this plan approved, the OWGR will offer ranking points based on the tournament's field strength and how those 30 players finish in a separate leaderboard that doesn't take into account the FedEx Cup points-to-strokes system.

While the PGA Tour wanted to get rid of the idea of having a tournament within a tournament to decide the FedEx Cup, the OWGR wouldn't allow them to award points based on that winner-take-all concept. So now we're back to having two tournaments, though one doesn't really impact the other. And almost certainly, a player would prefer to win the $15 million from taking the staggered-start Tour Championship than the first-place points from the pure-as-snow Tour Championship.

So it looks like smarter people than myself at the OWGR thought about this a while back. The tournament win counting officially to career totals hasn't been discussed though.

JourdanInMich;n8885331 said:
What’s a fraggle knocker?

haha see post #15. it's actually a fragger knockel lol

baylrballa;n8884440 said:
Sure. Champ might not be the straight stroke play champ, But neither is match play or stableford tourneys.

I think this is the best argument against my initial post.

I would love to see them figure out how to get this playoff system into some sort of seeded, handicapped(with stroke head starts) match play. I think then I’d have it count as an event.

No. The new system is stupid. The person with the fewest strokes played is the winner.

I should have set up a poll. Right now it looks like it's split close to 50-50

Good question. I'm going to go with no as to whether it should count as a win. For example, let's say everyone in the field shoots even except Jason Kokrak who shoots -9. Under that scenario, JT is absolutely the winner of the FedEx Cup, which is a tremendous achievement. But I'd have a hard time saying he won the tournament when someone else beat him by 9 shots.

Back