Should the Tour Championship count as a Tournament Win?

JourdanInMich;n8885391 said:
I would love to see them figure out how to get this playoff system into some sort of seeded, handicapped(with stroke head starts) match play. I think then I’d have it count as an event.

Now that's a great idea. Top 30 in a Match Play event. Top seed takes on no. 30, etc.

As far as the OP goes, to me, this year the Tour Championship should not count as a tournament W.

This whole starting with -10, -8 or whatever is just stupid, let these guys fight it out and the best of the day wins. The best 30 of the year (to par) tee it up and see what happens.

tequila4kapp;n8885393 said:
No. The new system is stupid. The person with the fewest strokes played is the winner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s flawed but I still prefer it to the points system. At least I can easily see who is going to win the FedEx Cup now without the need for Steve sands To go through the point permutations every 15 minutes.

jim54;n8885583 said:
This whole starting with -10, -8 or whatever is just stupid, let these guys fight it out and the best of the day wins. The best 30 of the year (to par) tee it up and see what happens.

I think that’s the best way. Once you’ve made it to the tour championship; winner takes all in a level playing field.

No

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I don’t think so since it’s not scored normally. Let the points winner pick tee times or who the play first in a tournament style. But not a fan of stroke deficits at the pro level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old format: No...Limited field.

The new format: No... Limited field and Stroke deficits...

But, as long as the name Tiger Woods appears on the trophy they’ll count it as a career win.

Last edited:
Bringing this one back from the graveyard

Didn’t it work as it was supposed to? DJ winning even though Shauffele was medalist?
I don’t love the format but can live with it. This counting as an official tournament win for DJ- that’s the part I can’t get behind personally. Have him be the Tour Champion and don’t assign a tournament winner this week.

Its all because of the Russian hackers influence.....

I don’t love the format but can live with it. This counting as an official tournament win for DJ- that’s the part I can’t get behind personally. Have him be the Tour Champion and don’t assign a tournament winner this week.

Ahhh, I concur

I don't love the format. It would be like me going out in a tournament and fluffing lies, kicking balls out from behind trees, dropping behind water hazards without a penalty stroke and taking 6 foot gimmes, then saying I won the tournament. Or as I've said before, it would be like starting the Indy 500 and spotting the fast qualifier 50 laps.

I don't know how they came up with the format, how they think it makes any sense, and/or how it even conforms to the Rules of Golf. Congrats on your trophy and $15M check, but you didn't win the tournament. You just won the equivalent of a charity scramble, with yourself being the charity.

A win is a win. Tournament format was not up to the winner. He just capitalized on it. He earned it throughout the season. Congrats on a well deserved win.

I am totally comfortable with this being a tournament win.

Why not?
Because this is a stroke (not match play) event and the player that scored best this week didn’t win.

as mentioned in another post, Xander scored better and thus gets more OWGR points than DJ does.

Agree with @ApexFan a win is a win!

Because this is a stroke (not match play) event and the player that scored best this week didn’t win.

as mentioned in another post, Xander scored better and thus gets more OWGR points than DJ does.
So, the argument is more like 'does the current structure make sense as a win for the player who wins if it doesn't reflect the four days of work'

...and in that case, I totally get it. I didn't see any issue with someone winning the tournament and someone else winning the FedEx Cup. Never understood why that was a problem, honestly.

So, the argument is more like 'does the current structure make sense as a win for the player who wins if it doesn't reflect the four days of work'

...and in that case, I totally get it. I didn't see any issue with someone winning the tournament and someone else winning the FedEx Cup. Never understood why that was a problem, honestly.
Yeah, perfect way of summing it up. I think DJ deserved the Tour Championship, the pay day, prestige, everything that comes with that.

But I think in this handicapped format there shouldn’t be a tournament winner this week. It’s doubly counting some of his past performances if that makes sense, and taking a win away from a potentially more deserving player.

I agree, there could be two winners this week, as it not "should be" but "could be"

The real prize just just being invited to appear. Just showing up and finishing in last place gets close to 400k. Thats about 10 times more than the normal payout for 30th place.

Xander is still bringing home 4.5 million. That is more than winning a major. He'll be fine without that win listed on his record.

I agree, they're two separate things. Winner of the tournament (with everybody starting even) gets the tournament trophy and tournament winnings, whoever has the most FedEx Cup points gets the Cup and the payout for most points. I don't see what's so difficult about that or why it's a problem, or why the tournament has to be rigged to give the points leader the best chance to win it.

In the NHL, the team that wins the Stanley Cup playoffs gets the Stanley Cup; the team with the best regular season record gets the Presidents' Trophy. One has nothing to do with the other, and there's certainly no guarantee that whoever wins one will win both.

Yes. Of course.

Yeah, perfect way of summing it up. I think DJ deserved the Tour Championship, the pay day, prestige, everything that comes with that.

But I think in this handicapped format there shouldn’t be a tournament winner this week. It’s doubly counting some of his past performances if that makes sense, and taking a win away from a potentially more deserving player.
They also act differently I am sure when in the lead, conserving it vs pressing - So who knows how the weekend would have played out without the big buffer.

I liked the idea of a matchplay to determine the FedEx Cup Champ but there's just too much money for something like that.

They also act differently I am sure when in the lead, conserving it vs pressing - So who knows how the weekend would have played out without the big buffer.

exactly. When someone in the other thread suggested the DJ “coasted” even with the “a little” qualifier, that felt very wrong to me. He may have played a different mind game having to start with a lead. But that’s the point.

the weight of sleeping on a lead going into Sunday at a major makes or breaks careers. DJ had to sleep a week with that weight.

Back