Rory on the new Tour Championship Format

blugold

Autobots, ROLL OUT!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Rory McIlroy is not a fan of the new format for the Tour Championship. He is starting 5 strokes behind FedEx Cup leader Justin Thomas.

Does Rory have a point? Does this tweak to the format add anything interesting?

“If the FedEx Cup really wants to have this legacy in the game, like some of these other championships do, is people starting the tournament on different numbers the best way to do it?”

I think this format simplifies the FedEx Cup's last event and how the standings work, but it is an odd adjustment.

As usual, I enjoy Rory's candor at the Tour Championship.

Is Rory right? Is this the sort of tweak that will keep this event from being respected?

Personally I think it is rubbish and stupid the way this event has been done

Theoretically someone could shoot 15 under par and still not win because the leader (starting on -10) shoots 6 under par
I thought golf was supposed to be about whoever shoots the lowest score wins?

I think it's stupid, too. The Tour said they ran many scenarios and it wouldn't have changed any (or few) of the outcomes in the FedEx Cup races in the past. My question, if it wouldn't have changed anything, then what's the point? Just change for the sake of change?

I like the new format. A player's top 30 position is set based on the points he compiled over the course of the year.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I agree with Rory, its stupid but I don't know how to fix it

I don't like the stoke advantage either. I get the premise of giving the points leaders some reward, but 10 strokes is way too much. Maybe something like top three only get an advantage (1st get 3 Stroke advantage, 2nd gets 2, 3rd gets 1).

It will be interesting to see this play out this weekend, and to see if it impacts TV ratings at all.

I think there is to much gap between 1 and 30. If you want to do it that way 1-10 get -2, 11-20 get -1 and 21-30 start at 0.

I don’t have an issue with how the winner of the FedEx Cup is determined. Only think that this should not count among career wins under the new format.

Dumbest thing ever.

Finals should be the finals, everyone starts even. Your performance through the year got you to the finals. Let you play determine winner.

millsan1;n8885206 said:
Dumbest thing ever.

Finals should be the finals, everyone starts even. Your performance through the year got you to the finals. Let you play determine winner.

But...I mean...isn't that what this format is doing? The highest ranked player, presumably, the play who put themselves in the best position, is getting a benefit of a head start.

The new format solves the problem of having very often two winners: the event and the cup.

blugold;n8885228 said:
But...I mean...isn't that what this format is doing? The highest ranked player, presumably, the play who put themselves in the best position, is getting a benefit of a head start.

The hed start is the dumb part to me. It's akin to going to the playoffs and spotting the #1 seed a TD in each game.

skujan;n8885259 said:
The new format solves the problem of having very often two winners: the event and the cup.

Right. Nobody cares who won the FedEx cup last year. They only care that Tiger won the tournament.

My plan is to not even watch it as I think it's awful.

I don't like it personally. I feel like once you whiddle it down to the top 30 golfers for the year they should already be on an even playing field - giving someone more of an advantage than others just doesn't make sense to me. To me it just make it look like you want someone in the Top 5 or Top 10 to win.

I don't have an opinion on it yet, I want to see it play out first.

It's essentially taking the mold from Motorsport and applying it to golf. The guy that qualifies the best starts in the front, so it's not an unheard of concept.

Reactions: JB
This is not about winning an event, it's only about winning the cup. Can't blame FedEx for wanting that to be the goal.

blugold;n8885290 said:
Right. Nobody cares who won the FedEx cup last year. They only care that Tiger won the tournament.

I bet Justin Rose would beg to differ on that point. I'm sure he cares who won the FedEx Cup. He has (or at least had) a billion reasons to care.

It's supposed to be about the Top 30 best players during the year, correct? Why did it need changing at all? These 30 best players have been playing the best all year long, so they should just be in this tournament .... Winner take all. Period. Best 72 hole score wins out of the Top 30 players.

Nappy;n8885298 said:
I don't like it personally. I feel like once you whiddle it down to the top 30 golfers for the year they should already be on an even playing field - giving someone more of an advantage than others just doesn't make sense to me. To me it just make it look like you want someone in the Top 5 or Top 10 to win.

Exactly. I don't see the reasoning behind giving players' an advantage. Every other tournament on Tour has everyone starting from the same point. Why do we need to handicap this one event? On that note, if we're handicapping, should the lower players be getting the strokes?

The cup is won by the player with the most points. They have found a way to bring it to a conclusion in the context of an event. Ingenious!

Are they handing out a two separate trophies still or is it just the Fed Ex Cup?

OGputtnfool;n8885440 said:
I bet Justin Rose would beg to differ on that point. I'm sure he cares who won the FedEx Cup. He has (or at least had) a billion reasons to care.

I mean, not a billion. I think the prize was a $10,000,000 annuity. Which, also according to Rory, is not that much of a prize. :alien:

blugold;n8885479 said:
I mean, not a billion. I think the prize was a $10,000,000 annuity. Which, also according to Rory, is not that much of a prize. :alien:

$10,000,000 = 1 billion cents.

He has 1 billion reasons. Yep...

Snickerdog;n8885193 said:
I think there is to much gap between 1 and 30. If you want to do it that way 1-10 get -2, 11-20 get -1 and 21-30 start at 0.

This.if they really want to make it so anyone can win but you can an advantage for where you finished. As it sits right now no one outside of the top 10 can really win.

But what they should really do if the PGA Championship isn't going to do it is make it matchplay.

Back