Rory on the new Tour Championship Format

If you're in a motor race and you qualify back of the pack, you don't get to start on the front row.

Shut up and play better, Rory.

I am not really a fan, I think they should all start our even.

The guy who shoots the lowest score across 4 rounds at East Lake this year is going to have a very legitimate gripe.

The problem is that everyone calls it a tournament and they don't want it to be a tournament. Tournaments aren't necessarily the best way to choose a champion because there is too much left to chance and the luck of the draw (at least in other sports). They're trying to reward good play and give the most consistent player the best shot. For instance, Bryson won two events last year (I think), but it didn't give him a big advantage. This new format won't fix everything, but it's interesting. I suppose instead of thinking of it as four separate events, think of it as one event in four locations.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

OGputtnfool;n8885882 said:
$10,000,000 = 1 billion cents.

He has 1 billion reasons. Yep...

I can't even refute that. Well done.

Bucketsofjoy;n8886554 said:
The guy who shoots the lowest score across 4 rounds at East Lake this year is going to have a very legitimate gripe.

Unless that is Justin Thomas.

aljaklaw;n8885913 said:
If you're in a motor race and you qualify back of the pack, you don't get to start on the front row.

... and if they wanted that scenario, they'd have joined NASCAR. I still say the Tour was trying to fix a problem that wasn't there.

I don't think the Tour Championship have a 'major' feel and I don't like the connection being made.

What they've done this year is awesome, and frankly, Rory's strong play yesterday shows the value in it. Right with the leaders, despite not being dominate this year.

I got home at about 4:30 last night and flipped on the Golf Channel and saw Koepka at -10 and I thought OMG he must’ve had a monster round.....then I realized it was the inflated clown show of the Tour Championship. I had a fun ten seconds though.

Rather than starting the top seed at -10 and going down, why not base everyones starting score on the AVERAGE of all of the rounds played in the prior finals or throughout the year? It would potentially balance out the MC's and the wins and maybe make it a bit fairer? Just a very quick thought on the subject.

Anybody good with stats for the year and can quickly calculate what peoples averages would be for just the finals?

Danimal;n8886899 said:
I got home at about 4:30 last night and flipped on the Golf Channel and saw Koepka at -10 and I thought OMG he must’ve had a monster round.....then I realized it was the inflated clown show of the Tour Championship. I had a fun ten seconds though.

haha, was hanging out with some buddies yesterday at the club and they said they couldn't find the coverage on TV. Found golf and saw leaders at -10 and thought it was a replay lmao!

Eh, whatever they do no one will be happy. So I'm good with it, Rors just needs to buckle down and figure his ish out because the clock is ticking, and father time never loses.

Canadan;n8886879 said:
I don't think the Tour Championship have a 'major' feel and I don't like the connection being made.

What they've done this year is awesome, and frankly, Rory's strong play yesterday shows the value in it. Right with the leaders, despite not being dominate this year.

Which is weird. Rory won the RBC Canadian Open and the Players. Five top-5 Finishes. Six top-10s. I mean,it's not like Rory has had a bad year. It's missing a major, and that's about it.

The motor sports analogy is perpetuated by the PGA & the golf media. Just dumb and complete spin doctoring. That approach in motor sports is an accommodation for physical space and safety. They can't line everybody up side by side and drop the flag so hence the qualifying process.

This concept is simply another ill conceived attempt to fix a problem (tournament winner doesn't win Fed Ex Cup) that should have never been part of the process from the start. Good for the players getting another chance to earn some $$ but I have like 1/10th the interest in this that I do for a major.

aljaklaw;n8885913 said:

Rory McIlroy - "Hold my pint" :good:

I'm sure they will change the format after this year, it was a poor idea and Rory's answer was perfect.

One windmill on the green was all they needed.

Back