What's Greater - 2 Majors or 2 FedEx Cups?

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Thinking about this after Rory's win today, making it his second FedEx Cup victory.

What is more impressive, doubling down on Major count, or FedEx Cup count? Rory and Tiger are the two golfers to win twice in the 13 year history.

Two cups to me. More money on the line and they are more of a season long competition.

I have to agree with the 2 cups. You have to play good consistent golf all year rather than just one tournament.

From a status perspective, 2 majors.

From a financial perspective, 2 cups.

For me, winning cups just means being pretty good most of the year and then getting hot at the right time. Justin Thomas had 0 wins this year until last week and then suddenly he is leading the FedEx Cup standings going into the championship.

1 Major is greater achievement than 2 Fed Ex Cups.

Majors because they are majors and seem to be more historically relevant. I can easily recite the major winners from 2018 but had to think for a couple of minutes before I came up with the 2018 FedEx Cup winner.

2 Fedex Cups is pretty impressive. There’s only one chance per year. They have 4 chances to win a major.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suspect that when you ask "Which is greater" everyone has some different definition of "greater" in their head. Until we agree on what we are measuring, I'm not sure there can be any meaningful consensus.

A few points struck me when thinking about this:
  1. Players try and peak for a major weekend, so they are all up for it if healthy
  2. Majors have more historical significance than the FedEx
  3. Some Majors have more historical weight than others (eg Open @ St. Andrews)
  4. People can "get hot" for just those 4 days, or handle pressure better on a Sunday and walk off with a Major
  5. Players don't "get hot" for 30 weeks - it's a reward for consistency. I don't have any issue with someone getting, say 5 top 5's and winning the whole thing. Winner Take All is what the individual events are about.
  6. Winning multiple FedEx cups does mean that those players have been the best players over the whole season, out of ALL the fields, more than once. That's pretty impressive.
  7. I suspect Rory would trade the FedEx for winning the Open at Portrush in a heartbeat

I’d vote for 2 Majors, strictly from a historical perspective. Can’t argue that Fedex Cup is big coin but years down the road people will remember a Major winner (significantly higher WW audience) vs. a FedEx Cup winner in a given year.

2 majors = HOF consideration criteria.
2 FedEx Cups = Obscure trivia answer.

I'm taking the majors.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

pmm21;n8889848 said:
2 cups. Majors are 4 fold/year. Cup comes once. Attaining two seems 4x more difficult.

I came in here to post exactly this. Originally I was going to say majors because people train and prepare for them so much but the Cup requires you to get in and stay consistent AND THEN win at the right time.

There are fewer Cup winners that aren’t stars than Major winners.

I’d take two majors over two fedex cups. Three of those majors give you lifetime exemptions. You’ll always be able to go back to the event for three of those majors and you’re part of major championship history no matter what.

Fedex cup is just a pretty payday

First I thought 2 majors but after thinking more, I went with the FedEx because it is basically a yearlong tournament itself so you must play well all year AND peak at the right time.

BlueHen2006;n8890039 said:
First I thought 2 majors but after thinking more, I went with the FedEx because it is basically a yearlong tournament itself so you must play well all year AND peak at the right time.

That's one of the biggest defenses of the FedEx Cup win IMO. You can hit random lightning at a Major plenty of times. You have to not only play well on tour to get into the playoffs, but also play your best golf at the right time to win the FedEx Cup.

Wow. That this topic is even being discussed shows the marketing genius of the PGA Tour. They should vote it’s creator immediately into the golf HOF. It demonstrates that if you throw enough points and money into a few events, it’ll be in discussion with the majors.

And I do believe when the current crop of golfers come up for HOF consideration, Tour Championship(s) will be a consideration. But the system is remarkably flawed.

Case in point. Two players have identical years, score the same in every event, except four. Player 1 wins the Masters, US Open, and the Open. Player 2, scores 10th in each of those events. The fourth event, player 2 wins the Northern Trust, and player 1 finishes 30th.
They both tie for 2nd (example) in the BMW, and are seeded 1, 2, in the Tour Championship. And shoot the same score, placing them 1, 2.
Who had the better year? Whose year was more noteworthy? Whose year will have more consideration for HOF when each becomes eligible? Obviously Player 1

Who is the Tour Champion? Player 2

MWard;n8889979 said:
I’d take two majors over two fedex cups. Three of those majors give you lifetime exemptions. You’ll always be able to go back to the event for three of those majors and you’re part of major championship history no matter what.

Fedex cup is just a pretty payday

It's not which one you'd like better, it's which one is more impressive.

MonroeBob1955;n8890049 said:
Wow. That this topic is even being discussed shows the marketing genius of the PGA Tour. They should vote it’s creator immediately into the golf HOF. It demonstrates that if you throw enough points and money into a few events, it’ll be in discussion with the majors.

And I do believe when the current crop of golfers come up for HOF consideration, Tour Championship(s) will be a consideration. But the system is remarkably flawed.

Case in point. Two players have identical years, score the same in every event, except four. Player 1 wins the Masters, US Open, and the Open. Player 2, scores 10th in each of those events. The fourth event, player 2 wins the Northern Trust, and player 1 finishes 30th.
They both tie for 2nd (example) in the BMW, and are seeded 1, 2, in the Tour Championship. And shoot the same score, placing them 1, 2.
Who had the better year? Whose year was more noteworthy? Whose year will have more consideration for HOF when each becomes eligible? Obviously Player 1

Who is the Tour Champion? Player 2

In your sample, one player wins three majors and one player wins the FedEx Cup.

The question was whether winning multiple FedEx Cups is more impressive than winning multiple majors. Not sure what your argument is, aside from that Player 1 had an absolutely monster year.

I think I would take the 2 Fedex Cups. To me it's more of being consistent through a long stretch vs. one shot-goodbye in a major.

Majors. With multiple changes in formats so far, the FedEx cup playoffs are still evolving.

Canadan;n8890058 said:
In your sample, one player wins three majors and one player wins the FedEx Cup.

The question was whether winning multiple FedEx Cups is more impressive than winning multiple majors. Not sure what your argument is, aside from that Player 1 had an absolutely monster year.

My point was, and I apologize for not stating it more clearly, that the FEDEX Playoffs points system is so overweighted to hype the end of season to create a (PGA) Tour Champion. The point system up till the Northern Trust is, in my opinion, a far better indicator of the year’s Tour Champion is you’re looking at season long performance.

I think the two FedEx cups is harder to do, but the majors have more prestige.

which is more impressive - 2 cups
which is more important - 2 majors

Back