Trying to break 85 club

Well it was one of those days. Being sick and on the couch for 3 days really showed. I was stiff and just could not loosen up. All in all a bad day for 97 is still pretty good for me. I will need to make an effort this week to try and loosen up a bit.

41-41 with 3 three putts on Par 3s. So nice to have birdie putts and walk off with bogey, woof.

Had one hole where I hit twice out of the same bunker, also fun. 191 out I duck hook an iron in the woods.

Some obvious rust but if you told me before the round I'd shoot 88-91 I'd of taken that in a heartbeat.

Need to get my wedge game in tact, didn't do well with distance control.

3 rounds since breaking 85 I've gone 87-89-89.

Yesterday 3 doubles and a triple sure didn't help. I think I wasted a decent ball striking day besides 2 holes.

I like being more careless on the Golf course, but I think a little more focus could help with scoring a bit lower. First and foremost picking an aim point and then finding something in front of the ball to set my club in that direction. I get a little lackadaisical when it coms to that, also the same can be said for putting.

I will try and implement more of a focus on picking a target and then firing. Think that should be a boost with breaking 85.

3 rounds since breaking 85 I've gone 87-89-89.

Yesterday 3 doubles and a triple sure didn't help. I think I wasted a decent ball striking day besides 2 holes.

I like being more careless on the Golf course, but I think a little more focus could help with scoring a bit lower. First and foremost picking an aim point and then finding something in front of the ball to set my club in that direction. I get a little lackadaisical when it coms to that, also the same can be said for putting.

I will try and implement more of a focus on picking a target and then firing. Think that should be a boost with breaking 85.
Congrats that’s a good group of scoring.
focus throughout the round is something I have a tough time with. It definitely hurts me at times. Finding a way to focus on each shot and relax in between is a fine line for me.

Well I'm down in South West Florida for a week from northern Michigan and got a chance to play golf today. All in all I'm happy with how I played considering I haven't played since mid September and I'm playing with an old set of clubs that I keep in Florida. The good news is I had 2 birdies today The bad news is I double bogeyed 2 of the par 3's and I triple bogeyed the last 2 holes to shoot an 86.

Well I'm down in South West Florida for a week from northern Michigan and got a chance to play golf today. All in all I'm happy with how I played considering I haven't played since mid September and I'm playing with an old set of clubs that I keep in Florida. The good news is I had 2 birdies today The bad news is I double bogeyed 2 of the par 3's and I triple bogeyed the last 2 holes to shoot an 86.
Oof, that’s a rough finish. Great round for that long of a lay-off though!

Well I followed up my 86 with a 96. I got a case of the standing up a little at impact causing me to top many shots. This resulted in 5 penalty shots, several thin chips, and a few doubles and triples. At least I'm not home shoveling snow!

Great round in my opinion. I didn’t play for 2 weeks and shot a 103. So I’ve learned that I need to practice more between rounds.

Final round 87, played terrible off the tee as well as my approach shots. Short game was on, it saved me a lot.

Good scores. You seem consistently around that 85 quite often.

I feel like I should break 85 more often. It seems I always have those few blow up holes. Last 6 scores are, 94,91,87,86,96,86. Trending upward. Not good.

Well back down in Florida, I felt really good and confident today, this is rare, I played good on the front, shot a41 with one birdie. I was well on my way to breaking 85, playing smart golf on a short course. The 17th hole I was short right of the green, I had to flop one over a trap and hit it short, right into the trap. From the trap I skulled one over the green into a pond. I bogeyed the last hole. 3 over on the last 2 holes. Man, so close once again!

Well crud, I failed again 43/45=88 stroke control 87 due to a triple bogey on an easy par 3.

I actually feel like I scored better. Putting killed me, 39 putts. Missed a 1 foot and a2 foot putt. Three putted from 4 feet once.

On a good note I had 1 birdie! I'll try again tomorrow.

I did it! I shot an 84 today! 42/42. 2 penalties and a triple.

I got off of the tee well today 9 fairways, a couple of the misses were just off the fairway. 7gir 34 putts. 1 birdie. 3 other birdie putts 10 feet that I missed. Only bogies other than the triple. No doubles today

I did it! I shot an 84 today! 42/42. 2 penalties and a triple.

I got off of the tee well today 9 fairways, a couple of the misses were just off the fairway. 7gir 34 putts. 1 birdie. 3 other birdie putts 10 feet that I missed. Only bogies other than the triple. No doubles today
Well done!!!!! Congrats. Next goal is 80

Well things are finally opened up here in Michigan. I've Played about 5 times, last Wednesday in league I shot a 38. This followed a 49, 44, and a 45. I feel like I've been playing pretty well but have several blow up holes each round, somehow I was able to avoid the blow UPS on my league night. I'm really hoping to be consistently below 85 this year. My handicap has really ballooned up, I am close to a 12 now.

With back to back rounds of 87 this week I feel like getting down under 85 is near. I’ve improved at keeping the blow up holes at bay, but have not eliminated them completely. It’s the difference in being under and over 85 for me. The double bogeys are tough to make up for me. Yesterday I think I had 4 or 5 of them. I also only made 2 of 7 birdie opportunities. I need to work on those two things and I should be able to get the score down consistently. Range work this morning. Putting practice to follow the range work.

My game is very similar, i shot an 86 yesterday with 3 doubles. I had 4 birdie opportunities less than 12 feet, two of those were 6 footers, i didn't make any of them. My big problem is that I have developed a tendency to stand up on my shot, When I do that I severely top the ball, I really need to figure out a way to stay in position until after I hit the ball!

I don't remember which old swing guru it was who said a good long game will help a golfers short game. Might have been Earnest Jones, de la Torre, or maybe even Pinick. I know I remember reading about this idea many years ago.

I know when I go out to play for a score, my personal par for that round is 85. The idea of averaging less than 5 strokes per hole is very doable. I don't want any 90+ scores. Of course, some days are better than others. My personal best is 48 consectutive rounds in the 80s.

A 4 on a par 3, a few pars on the par 4s, and par or better on the 5s should be with anyone's playing ability, who has a decent long game.

I don't think one's long game has to be that long either. If a golfer can get 220+ off the tee, and 180+ off the fairway, that is probably good enough to "shorten" one's short game. The key of course is having a quality, playable next shot as many times as possible..

I know a guy who treats all 18 holes as par 5s. His whole game plan is to score 5, or less on every hole. It's part of his mental game I think. A 3 on a par 3 is his eagle. A 4 on a par 4 is his birdie. He consistently scores in the mid, low 80s.

For me to break 85, it has always been when my tee, and fairway shots were going well for me. These better, longer shots made my short game easier.

I suspect I'm like a lot of golfers, where I have spent, and now spend too much practice time on my short game than I do on my long game. Why not? It easier to practice one's short game. That, or maybe it's easier to neglect one's long game.

Anyone ever see a thread on here that just called to you (that might be an idea for another thread:D). This one calls to me as most of my scores are between 85-90 with some blowups past 90. My issue is more with the long game as well. I think if I can get rid of my 2 way misses off the tee that will help me get below 85.

Anyone ever see a thread on here that just called to you (that might be an idea for another thread:D). This one calls to me as most of my scores are between 85-90 with some blowups past 90. My issue is more with the long game as well. I think if I can get rid of my 2 way misses off the tee that will help me get below 85.
It definitely helps. However its my short game thats saved my score on a regular basis. Being able to get up and down when I miss the green is golden. It keeps the score from getting out of hand. When IM good off the tee I have a birdie chance. When IM not I often end up a little short and that up and down becomes huge. Over all it would be much easier to do it all well. When I can swing easy off the tee I tend to be in good shape. However thats harder than it sounds. At least for me.

Well I had a good round today. I shot an 81 with 1 birdie. I had one penalty and missed a birdie from about 2 and a 1/2 feet.

Well shoot, I shot a44 with 1 penalty and one 3 putt in league tonight. I only hit 4 greens.

I played yesterday and started out great, par, birdie, par. I thought this is it! Then I made a quad. Never really recovered, shot an 88. My putting really failed me, I missed 6 putts less than 6 feet, two of them were about 2.5 feet.

I've had a great month of golf. My short game has helped me out a lot. With the exception of an 87 my 10 best scores are all below 85! I have one round of 78, One round of 80, and 3 rounds of 81. As of now I have 4 rounds in a row with at least one birdie and my handicap is a 9.8.

Back