Trying to break 85 club

Well what a wake-up call today! I played 36 holes of golf today. These courses were difficult and long. Both had a slope of around 140 and they were around 6500 yards! They kicked my butt. I shot an 86 and 93. The 93 I only made four Pars in 18 holes.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I played another 36 holes yesterday. These courses were a little easier with slopes of around 130. I shot a 90 in the morning and then attained my goal of breaking 85 with an 82 in the afternoon. I'm still really struggling off the tee and struggling with confidently hitting approach shots. Right now my short game is really helping me out with good chipping and good putting.

I haven't really been posting recently. Since my leg was broken last October and the big backwards steps my golf had gone since then I was on the verge of quitting. Last few rounds there have been glimmers of breaking 85 with nines from 40 to 43 but disaster nines accompanying them.

This morning was my second round in with the Ping G400 Max and a different swing thought from a quick tip by the teaching pro at my club, resulted in a 86 (42/44). 8 GIR's and 8 Pars but only 6 Fairways. The big difference was where I was on missed fairways, only one was a big slice the others were all playable in a forwards direction.

This is the first round since my leg was broken last October where I got a 0.3 handicap cut. There's still a long way to go but I've now got something to build on, especially confidence wise.

Shot a 41/44 today playing from the blue tees on a Par 71 6180 yard course.

I was hitting pretty good on the front and doing some great chip and one putt saves. I even had three penalty strokes on the front! The back was a little tougher and harder for me to score but I had no penalty strokes but couldn't get up/down like I was on the front . It did get pretty warm by the back nine!

No birdies, three doubles, a bunch of single bogies and some par's! No three putts either!

I made a couple costly mistakes today that cost me a very good score, a wedge shot that was 2 yards too long and bounced in a ditch, a thinned bunker shot that lead to a loss ball in the woods... I need to make better decisions out there, and I can improve a lot on that 89

41/45 for a 86 this morning, esc's down to a 85 due to a 8 on a par 5. 10 / 13 fairways hit with driver, 6 greens, 1 birdie, 6 pars, 9 bogies and 2 triples. Dropped another 0.3 off my handicap. Im loving golf at the moment, just need to keep this momentum going.

I've a lesson booked for Thursday afternoon. I have a issue hitting from the right side of a target. I.E. ball on the right side of the fairway and the green is diagonally left, I just can not get myself aligned to hit that shot. I always end up short and further left of my intended target. I set up check, doubt myself, set up again and in the back of my head I am saying this doesn't feel right. Hopefully we'll be able to sort this Thursday.

another solid round this morning with an 82, the wedges were money. once again my mistakes were costly, hooked my drive in jail on 1, duffed an iron in the water on 8 and 10, and a 3 putt on 16.

I love playing well

another solid round this morning with an 82, the wedges were money. once again my mistakes were costly, hooked my drive in jail on 1, duffed an iron in the water on 8 and 10, and a 3 putt on 16.

I love playing well

Pretty dang good. Be alot better if you stop washing them balls.:smile-big:

I feel like I'm in the same boat as dthogey. I'm consistently in the mid-high 80s (85-88), but have only broken 85 once this year. I've shot 85/86 quite a few times this year so it almost seems like getting down below that number is a mental block. I used to only really play golf occasionally each year and would be happy to shoot in the 90s, so I can't really complain about now being in the mid-80s. But I decided to take the game a bit more seriously this year and hope that playing more often can help get both my swing and distance-control more consistent. Like most mid-high handicappers I lose most of my strokes on or around the green (not enough free time at the moment to work on the feel/touch needed in the short game). Once I have the short game under control I should be able to break the 85-barrier on a consistent basis. The trouble is finding enough time to get to the range and work at it haha.

85 today for me. Could have been a little better but poor course management left me scrambling too many times.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

I watched some of these guys videos when I was struggling recently to get my score back below 80. It's been a while since I teed it up so I am rusty. The course management aspect is something I never thought about befoe. I likes this video and also one he does with an older guy called Didi - really shows you you don't need to be perfect to play well and if you think on the golf course then you can make better scores.
I can proudly say I am back under 80 for the first time last week after months of trying and shooting 86, 84, 85, 82, 89, 86, 84, 80, 87, 89, 88, 83!
I don't agree with everythng he says but I look at the golf course in a different way now than before.
[video=youtube_share;GIydDUnoh-c]https://youtu.be/GIydDUnoh-c[/video]

Golf time has been limited lately. I played last Saturday and shot a 96. Playing with some new people on a tight course and didn't have time to warm up. Came out of the gate with a 9 on the first hole and went out in 55. Turned things around on the back and pared the last 5 holes for a 41. It's crazy how your swing and your mindset can change so much for the start to the finish of 18 holes.

85 on the nose this morning. 2 Birdies, 5 Pars, 9 Bogies and 2 Triples. Both triples were stupid mistakes and a lack of concentration. Im optimistic sub 85 is about to happen.

Golf time has been limited lately. I played last Saturday and shot a 96. Playing with some new people on a tight course and didn't have time to warm up. Came out of the gate with a 9 on the first hole and went out in 55. Turned things around on the back and pared the last 5 holes for a 41. It's crazy how your swing and your mindset can change so much for the start to the finish of 18 holes.

I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago. After making a dumb decision on the front and taking triple, I completely fell apart and shot 53. Slapped myself around a bit at the turn and came back with 42 on the back. The good news is that I was so upset by that 53 that I came back to the course the next day (at 5:30pm, when it was 102) and cruised around with no doubles for 82, my first time under 85.

Last Sunday I shot 85 on a harder course, but there was also a 100 in between those rounds. I'm thinking the problems might be in my head as much as in my swing.

How do you like the Crossover 3 iron? That is my new favorite club and a big part of my recent success.

I had a similar experience a couple weeks ago. After making a dumb decision on the front and taking triple, I completely fell apart and shot 53. Slapped myself around a bit at the turn and came back with 42 on the back. The good news is that I was so upset by that 53 that I came back to the course the next day (at 5:30pm, when it was 102) and cruised around with no doubles for 82, my first time under 85.

Last Sunday I shot 85 on a harder course, but there was also a 100 in between those rounds. I'm thinking the problems might be in my head as much as in my swing.

How do you like the Crossover 3 iron? That is my new favorite club and a big part of my recent success.

Good shooting. I also think most of my swing issues are from my head.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Well I had a good score today, I shot a 43 / 37 for an 80. I scored good but actually played terrible. My Approach shots were all over the place. I only hit 6 Fairways and 6 greens, luckily two of the greens I hit on the back 9 I made birdies on. My short game was really on fire. I missed many greens but was able to get up and down to save my pars. I only had 10 putts on the back nine.

Well I had a good score today, I shot a 43 / 37 for an 80. I scored good but actually played terrible. My Approach shots were all over the place. I only hit 6 Fairways and 6 greens, luckily two of the greens I hit on the back 9 I made birdies on. My short game was really on fire. I missed many greens but was able to get up and down to save my pars. I only had 10 putts on the back nine.

10 putts for 9 holes? Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, Tiger Woods on the front last Sunday. Certainly not something I'll ever come close to.

Nice round, I went the other way in my tournament today. On a course where you can't miss the fairway, I hit 9/14 and only badly missed one (the first swing). Just played sloppy, though, kicking away strokes left and right. Finished with a 94 that should have been an 89.

I know, it is unbelievable. But even when I scored a double bogey I still only had one putt! Here is my scorecard, I have highlighted the 16th hole which is a par 5, I ballooned my tee shot, duffed 2, 3 wood shots, hit a decent 7 iron to about 25 feet and made the putt!

I've never chipped and putted like this before!

What a crazy game.
dc74299be7b461221c11daa3b90df561.jpg

83 today. Not bad score seeing I had only pw at my highest lofted club.

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

1e6c9d444ce685f2eab13289b6db45d6.png

Close to 85 today with an 86. Really 2 bad holes. 7-1 putts with a 40 footer for par. Irons were good today.

Well today was quite different for me then yesterday. I shot an 85. This is such a funny game, yesterday I was on fire with my chipping and putting, I had to scramble around to make par. I couldn't seem to hit a green. Today I hit 12 greens but could not putt very well, I missed three good birdie chances less than 10 ft!

I had a disaster on the front nine this morning, started with triples on the first 4 holes. I kinda wrapped it at that point and just went through the motions. My wife was playing well and I didn't want to disturb her. Hole 8 I almost discovered my golf swing, and by 10 it was back. 43 on the back nine which included 2 doubles.

This continues to be the most frustrating infuriating addictive game I have ever played.

1e6c9d444ce685f2eab13289b6db45d6.png

Close to 85 today with an 86. Really 2 bad holes. 7-1 putts with a 40 footer for par. Irons were good today.

That's an 85 with ESC. Four doubles and a quad (triple) and you shoot 86? That's amazing.

Thank you! I'm surprised that I didn't set a personal best with 9 pars.
The Grint had me for 56% Grints which was a personal best.

Back