Going Lefty.....with GoingLefty

wNSBwsj.jpg

So I got out yesterday and the weather was much better. Broke the 110 barrier which is great. I'm still not hitting the ball very solidly but I'm getting it around. I was hitting it much more solid on the simulator overall. I mean I was hitting some shots really well. I don't feel I've been doing that on the course. I had the odd one here and there but not like I was doing indoors. And it's not the sim software or anything like that, its the strike. I know when I catch one and when I don't and I'm just not doing it. At least I know I can though so it's a matter of figuring it out.

The beat goes on!

Well I just drove home from work in a blizzard so no golf for me this weekend or probably next week. I'm off Mon-Tues but it's going to still be cold here. Sunny and warm again starting on Wednesday of course. Ah well.

I decided to order some grips, tape and solvent and learn to re-grip clubs myself. It's insanely easy to do and I can't believe I ever paid someone to do it. I also chopped 1.25" off my driver and put it in heavy draw bias. The most it will go. So it'll be interesting to see if that makes a difference in my strikes or not. That brings my shaft length down to 43.75" total. Can't wait to hit it so I'll be hitting the range Monday and Tuesday.

Have a good weekend all.

Swing update. Hit the range today because there is still snow here from the weekend. So dissapointing but what can you do? Well you hit the range. I am happy with some things progressing. I'm not sucking the club as far inside on my backswing and I'm much more stable in my base. I'm not swaying all over the place. I was hitting it ok until I hit my new cut down driver. It wasn't good guys. Weak slice. That's the process. Play, make adjustments, play, make adjustments.

I'm loving the process though I have to say. I do get frustrated at times but I'm way ahead of where I originally thought I'd be. Hell I didn't know if I'd even be able to hit a ball 150 yards. It's good to appreciate just being out there swinging the club. This thread helps me keep that perspective.

Well I got two rounds in yesterday, walked all 36 holes, I was beat last night hah. Shot 115 and 110. I am still topping the ball a lot. Still hitting some good shots too. Had a birdie and hit the flag on another hole from 90 yards out.

My tendency is to slide in the swing instead of turning so I'm working on that. Short game is coming, putting is still solid. Just gotta get the full swing down hah. The weather here has been terrible of late. Snow, cold...depressing...! Was supposed to golf today but too cold.

Well I got two rounds in yesterday, walked all 36 holes, I was beat last night hah. Shot 115 and 110. I am still topping the ball a lot. Still hitting some good shots too. Had a birdie and hit the flag on another hole from 90 yards out.

My tendency is to slide in the swing instead of turning so I'm working on that. Short game is coming, putting is still solid. Just gotta get the full swing down hah. The weather here has been terrible of late. Snow, cold...depressing...! Was supposed to golf today but too cold.

Dude, you're well on your way. You'll be shooting in the 90s before the season is over and that will be a hell of an accomplishment in less than one year of completely re learning the game. Well done, my friend. Well done.

Dude, you're well on your way. You'll be shooting in the 90s before the season is over and that will be a hell of an accomplishment in less than one year of completely re learning the game. Well done, my friend. Well done.

Cheers man, it is a lot of fun trying. That would be amazing to be breaking 100 on the reg by seasons end. I would be really happy with that. I feel like I had one of those "breakthroughs" today watching a Clemente video. I golfed after and hit some tremendous shots (for me). My low round is still 108 but I feel a breakthrough coming maybe in the next few weeks. The grind continues tomorrow..

20qjb5f.jpg

20qjb5f.jpg

114 today....the struggle is real haha. I hit the range after my round but didn't really figure much out. I'm hitting it very heavy. Not totally fat but the ball was flying about 2 clubs short. I lost a record number of balls today too. 10! And it's sad to say that a lot were within 100 yards of the tee. Topped shots that went into hazards. There are a ton on my course and the ball is just gone. They are all environmental area's so kiss it gooodbyeeee.

I'm too stubborn sometimes and won't just put the driver away. I really like to try and figure things out and not just quit on it. That said, there is a point.........

Hope all you guys are well. I play again tomorrow. Plan to get to the course at least an hour early to hit some balls and work on a few things.

Cheers man, it is a lot of fun trying. That would be amazing to be breaking 100 on the reg by seasons end. I would be really happy with that. I feel like I had one of those "breakthroughs" today watching a Clemente video. I golfed after and hit some tremendous shots (for me). My low round is still 108 but I feel a breakthrough coming maybe in the next few weeks. The grind continues tomorrow..

20qjb5f.jpg

20qjb5f.jpg

I love Clements stuff. His videos always bring me back to center (even though I don't completely mimic his swing style).

I love Clements stuff. His videos always bring me back to center (even though I don't completely mimic his swing style).

Yeah you are the one that got me onto him. Thanks for that!

I was trying to follow rotary swing but I found some things pressured my back. I obviously have a particular issue so I'm not knocking them at all but Scott seems to really be about freedom in the swing. Hopefully it helps lol.

Pretttty crappy round today. Shot 120. Just could not swing it at all. It felt all wrong today. But there is always tomorrow...I'm teeing off at 11:30am. I'm optomistic..for now reason haha.

My last round was no better and shot 121 guys. Since then:

I had a "lesson" with Shawn Clement. As a premium member of his site you get one swing review every month from Shawn. He sends you back an audio file which was a bit of a surprise as I just assumed it would be a video file. It didn't matter much though as Shawn clearly explains what you are doing right and wrong. He then tells you what you need to work on and which videos to watch of his that will address the issues. I actually like this format. What he had to say was really enlightening and I could see what he was talking about right away. The videos really made it hit home and I was doing some of the drills at home the last few days.

Hitting the range tomorrow morning and then golfing in the evening. I don't expect things to change overnight but it's great having a particular direction to work on. Shawn is all about feel and what is natural over mechanics and positions. There is some of that but he tries to keep things intuitive. So far I am liking what he has to offer. The proof is in the pudding though so we'll see what tomorrow brings!

My last round was no better and shot 121 guys. Since then:

I had a "lesson" with Shawn Clement. As a premium member of his site you get one swing review every month from Shawn. He sends you back an audio file which was a bit of a surprise as I just assumed it would be a video file. It didn't matter much though as Shawn clearly explains what you are doing right and wrong. He then tells you what you need to work on and which videos to watch of his that will address the issues. I actually like this format. What he had to say was really enlightening and I could see what he was talking about right away. The videos really made it hit home and I was doing some of the drills at home the last few days.

Hitting the range tomorrow morning and then golfing in the evening. I don't expect things to change overnight but it's great having a particular direction to work on. Shawn is all about feel and what is natural over mechanics and positions. There is some of that but he tries to keep things intuitive. So far I am liking what he has to offer. The proof is in the pudding though so we'll see what tomorrow brings!

You said it, yourself. Change won't come overnight. Keep at it, brother. Having a direction is half the battle.

Hey all!

Ok, so I have been doing some thinking about my game and since I now have a good baseline of rounds (over a dozen so far) I decided I'm going to start looking how I can improve with different area's. The first one was to get my equipment checked.

I bought a set of used clubs and since I couldn't hit anything at the time it was just what looked good to me. I bought some used APEX Callaways. I decided this week that I should have the loft and lie checked out so I scheduled a fitting which I just got back from.

Man oh man. My face was red. I did not notice when I bought these used irons that some were the same length. The person who owned them previously had cut down this set. So the PW and AW were the same length. The 9i and 8i were the same length and the 7i and 6i were the same length. Not only that but the irons were all cut down to be shorter than normal length! :banghead:

Learning left handed everything felt weird to me so I didn't even notice this! Man oh man. The fitter gave me some proper length irons to hit (Ping i200) and instant difference. I felt pretty stupid but I had so much else on my mind learning left handed that it was just not something I even thought about. I just thought I sucked lol (which I do, but not as bad as I thought!) and things felt weird because I was on the left side.

Anyway, they are going to put plugs in for me to get them to the correct lengths and check the lofts and lie angles and adjust them to the correct specs if needed. (turns out I am standard loft and lie which is nice.) I have been thinking of new irons but I want to see how this goes first. Until I get to a certain point I'm not sure new irons will make much difference anyway.

I am super pumped to get on a course and see if there is a big difference in my game.

Hey all!

Ok, so I have been doing some thinking about my game and since I now have a good baseline of rounds (over a dozen so far) I decided I'm going to start looking how I can improve with different area's. The first one was to get my equipment checked.

I bought a set of used clubs and since I couldn't hit anything at the time it was just what looked good to me. I bought some used APEX Callaways. I decided this week that I should have the loft and lie checked out so I scheduled a fitting which I just got back from.

Man oh man. My face was red. I did not notice when I bought these used irons that some were the same length. The person who owned them previously had cut down this set. So the PW and AW were the same length. The 9i and 8i were the same length and the 7i and 6i were the same length. Not only that but the irons were all cut down to be shorter than normal length! :banghead:

Learning left handed everything felt weird to me so I didn't even notice this! Man oh man. The fitter gave me some proper length irons to hit (Ping i200) and instant difference. I felt pretty stupid but I had so much else on my mind learning left handed that it was just not something I even thought about. I just thought I sucked lol (which I do, but not as bad as I thought!) and things felt weird because I was on the left side.

Anyway, they are going to put plugs in for me to get them to the correct lengths and check the lofts and lie angles and adjust them to the correct specs if needed. (turns out I am standard loft and lie which is nice.) I have been thinking of new irons but I want to see how this goes first. Until I get to a certain point I'm not sure new irons will make much difference anyway.

I am super pumped to get on a course and see if there is a big difference in my game.

+1 0n the Callaway Apex Irons. I'm playing the same irons and they are straight butter. I want the newest Apex from Callaway but in all honesty, it's just a want for something new. These irons will serve me well until I decide to take a knee to the balls from my wife for blowing $1300.00 on a new set of irons.

Good to hear that you saw improvement just from swinging proper length clubs. I'm certain it will carry over to the sticks you're used to seeing at address. Good luck, brother. Keep plugging away!

Kananaskis, Alberta - Mr. Lorette Course

Kananaskis, Alberta - Mr. Lorette Course

Some pictures from my round yesterday: This course was completely destroyed in a flood a few years ago and you'd never know it. They did an amazing job rebuilding it.

omUajJ4.jpg

omUajJ4

pVLMRdd.jpg

G9A8cH9.jpg

dFQYOX0

undefined

tPX6UBY

dFQYOX0.jpg

tPX6UBY.jpg

+1 0n the Callaway Apex Irons. I'm playing the same irons and they are straight butter. I want the newest Apex from Callaway but in all honesty, it's just a want for something new. These irons will serve me well until I decide to take a knee to the balls from my wife for blowing $1300.00 on a new set of irons.

Good to hear that you saw improvement just from swinging proper length clubs. I'm certain it will carry over to the sticks you're used to seeing at address. Good luck, brother. Keep plugging away!

Cheers man, and I understand the urge for new clubs hahaha. Good luck with the wife! Wear a cup.

Last edited:
So I fired my new low round yesterday! 105 on my home course. Starting to hit it a bit better. I was averaging 220 yards with the driver instead of 180 which I had been. Making a little better contact overall, plus I was putting pretty well. Left an eagle putt on the edge of the hole from 20 feet away! Still, had the birdie so that was nice. Heading out again right now, the next big goal is to break 100

Played twice this week. Monday I shot a 111 and didn't play well in any facet except for putting. I think I am becoming or have become a better putter left handed than I ever was right handed. One thing I have been doing on long putts is expanding the target to 2 or 3 feet around the cup. I am still trying to make the put but I am happy if I get it inside my target area. The area is bigger or smaller depending on how far away I am.

This approach seems to relax me and I make a better stroke. The last few rounds I've been doing that and focusing on having a rhythmic swing and that's working even better. I only had 30 putts yesterday which is a new low record for me and I still had one three putt in there. That also was the major reason for shooting a new low round of 104.

I'm still not striking the ball solidly, much range time is needed and I'll be doing that today. My course management and club selection is helping a lot. It's damn hard pulling a 6i out of the bag or even at times, a 5hy from 150 yards but that's my reality right now. Putting the ego aside is dropping my scores and because I'm not leaving it as short on most approaches.

Last edited:
Played twice this week. Monday I shot a 111 and didn't play well in any facet except for putting. I think I am becoming or have become a better putter left handed than I ever was right handed. One thing I have been doing on long putts is expanding the target to 2 or 3 feet around the cup. I am still trying to make the put but I am happy if I get it inside my target area. The area is bigger or smaller depending on how far away I am.

This approach seems to relax me and I make a better stroke. The last few rounds I've been doing that and focusing on having a rhythmic swing and that's working even better. I only had 30 putts yesterday which is a new low record for me and I still had one three putt in there. That also was the major reason for shooting a new low round of 104.

I'm still not striking the ball solidly, much range time is needed and I'll be doing that today. My course management and club selection is helping a lot. It's damn hard pulling a 6i out of the bag or even at times, a 5hy from 150 yards but that's my reality right now. Putting the ego aside is dropping my scores and because I'm not leaving it as short on most approaches.
Smart choices with the club selection until you build up comfortable swing speed. Ego can be an evil mistress. It's good to hear that you're shutting it out. Like Arnie said, brother, swing your swing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Smart choices with the club selection until you build up comfortable swing speed. Ego can be an evil mistress. It's good to hear that you're shutting it out. Like Arnie said, brother, swing your swing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yeah man, it's oddly tough to do but it's just where I'm at. The odds of hitting that perfect shot are slim at best haha.

It's damn hard pulling a 6i out of the bag or even at times, a 5hy from 150 yards but that's my reality right now.

Look at it this way, 5hy from the tee then 5hy from the fairway, then a wedge to 5-7ft, one putt IS PAR

I have decided to give up on distance and focus on 100 yards in and better lag putting, First round with this mindset was last week and even with a horrible putting day I scored very well.

I am thinking of putting tape over my club numbers and writing the distance on them, so to mentally take ego out, instead of calling it a 6i it will be called the 150 club.

Look at it this way, 5hy from the tee then 5hy from the fairway, then a wedge to 5-7ft, one putt IS PAR

I have decided to give up on distance and focus on 100 yards in and better lag putting, First round with this mindset was last week and even with a horrible putting day I scored very well.

I am thinking of putting tape over my club numbers and writing the distance on them, so to mentally take ego out, instead of calling it a 6i it will be called the 150 club.

Yes I agree with you, that's my new style. That said I have not given up on striking it better. I am going to play smart like you suggested until I get a better strike going. Speaking of which, I had a really good range session the other day with a PW and 7i. I have been hitting my PW about 80 yards on average since this started. I literally hit the flag on the fly with one of my first wedge shots at 100 yards. It rolled out about 115 yards. I hit several almost as good as that too. 7i I was landing about 140-145. I was finally getting that "solid" contact and feel. This is due to this video. I came across him via one of GolfSideKick (youtube) vids. He mentioned this guy had helped his swing.

He has almost nothing on youtube other than this vid, but the idea of the swing being "U" shaped seemed interesting so I decided to try it. My contact was much better as said, the first time trying it out. I haven't hit the ball that well in months. (I also still had plenty of bad shots btw) I was so relieved I almost teared up haha. I am obviously not doing it perfectly so I'm excited to see how much better it will get, or if it goes by the wayside like so much has....? Time will tell. I plan on having a big day of practice tomorrow and keep working on it.

This is something I think I will start looking into. Although the youtube rabbit hole will cause my head to spin if I go to far.

Congrats on it clicking and moving in the right direction.

Ehhhhhhh, tough round today. 117. I just could not hit the ball, it was a nightmare. My short game which has been awesome was also gone. I shot 105 yesterday too haha. I got to the course early and I was striping my 7 iron. I hit about 8 great shots in a row. I was even hitting my driver decently. Get on the course and NOPE. It was just gone.

I love golf.

Back