Going Lefty.....with GoingLefty

This thread blows my mind haha!

having done some left handed swings with the Superspeed, I think you're lightyears ahead of anything I could do!

Exactly what I was thinking as I read about his progress... and I'm a natural lefty! When I do the lefty swings for Superspeed they are LOL-bad!

Haha, well like you said just getting out with my buddies will be great. If I do surprise myself though, I'll be sure to credit you brother...but if I shoot 145 I get to blame you too ok?? :D Maybe I'll try and film some of my first round and post it here. Would be kind of cool to have some footage of it for posterity. Although we are all pretty vicious s#@&% talkers so I might have to bleep a bunch hah.

Nah, 145 won't even be in your ball-park, brother (but you can blame me if it is. Haha) Your F-bomb game will be on point, for sure. And, yes, I would film as much of it as I could for posterity, sake.

Nah, 145 won't even be in your ball-park, brother (but you can blame me if it is. Haha) Your F-bomb game will be on point, for sure. And, yes, I would film as much of it as I could for posterity, sake.

Ok, I'll make sure you get the blame haha. It's not really that we drop a lot of F-bombs, though they are there, it's more that we try and destroy each others hearts lol. One of the guys put it this way: "You don't want to be the guy with the bad haircut in our group."

The Set and The Bet

The Set and The Bet

Final (for now) Setup.

v9C54fnl.jpg

Titleist 917 Driver 10.5 loft
Ping G 5 Wood (loft changed to 4 wood)
Ping G 7 Wood (loft changed to sex wood)
Ping G30 4 Hybrid
Ping G400 5 Hybrid
Calaway Apex Forged 6i-SW
Ping Mallet Putter (forget the model. also the headcover is all they had. Hazards of buying used equipment.)

Went to my first session of indoor golf as a lefty today. I hit the snell Getsum balls today. Was not impressed. The cover literally broke on one lol. I should have taken a pic. A chunk just broke off. Maybe it's because it's -25C here today. I know my swing is bad but....hahaha

Myslef and thine enemy (Hereafter referred to as "Impy" as is his nickname.) went to play together. I say he's my enemy because we have a bet. I bet him my $25 and a six pack of CO-OP Gold beer to his $200 that I would beat him in 18 hole stroke play by the end of the year. Two years ago he was shooting low to mid 90's with the occasional round below 90 but he could blow up and shoot over 100 too. Well after the bet I found out he was shooting in the 80's all last summer. Damn it.

It's good motivation for me and adds some fun into the process. My short shots were by far the hardest today so gotta work a lot on that. Judging distance left handed on 40 and 50 yard swings is tough. I shanked most of them.

We played 9 holes of stoke play with 10 foot gimmies on. He shot 50 and I shot 55. He played really bad for him and I was hitting better than I should have. Had a 10 on one hole that wasn't so nice but managed a couple of bogies. Then we played match play (no strokes given to me) and I made it until the 14th hole before the match ended. Hit some really good hybrid shots, especially with the 5 hybrid. Such a good club. I was hitting it right around 165-170 yards and my best shot of the day was a 5 hy that went 200 yards off the tee. I had a par on one par 5 too so those were the highlights.

Oh I took some swing speed measurements with my driver. My high was 96.7mph but most were around 94-95mph. Very happy with progress so far guys, that Orange Whip is really great for exercising the golf swing and the mobility work is paying off. My back felt great the whole time and my speed has increased (we made sure there was no boost on the sim).

Cheers

Final (for now) Setup.

v9C54fnl.jpg

Titleist 917 Driver 10.5 loft
Ping G 5 Wood (loft changed to 4 wood)
Ping G 7 Wood (loft changed to sex wood)
Ping G30 4 Hybrid
Ping G400 5 Hybrid
Calaway Apex Forged 6i-SW
Ping Mallet Putter (forget the model. also the headcover is all they had. Hazards of buying used equipment.)

Went to my first session of indoor golf as a lefty today. I hit the snell Getsum balls today. Was not impressed. The cover literally broke on one lol. I should have taken a pic. A chunk just broke off. Maybe it's because it's -25C here today. I know my swing is bad but....hahaha

Myslef and thine enemy (Hereafter referred to as "Impy" as is his nickname.) went to play together. I say he's my enemy because we have a bet. I bet him my $25 and a six pack of CO-OP Gold beer to his $200 that I would beat him in 18 hole stroke play by the end of the year. Two years ago he was shooting low to mid 90's with the occasional round below 90 but he could blow up and shoot over 100 too. Well after the bet I found out he was shooting in the 80's all last summer. Damn it.

It's good motivation for me and adds some fun into the process. My short shots were by far the hardest today so gotta work a lot on that. Judging distance left handed on 40 and 50 yard swings is tough. I shanked most of them.

We played 9 holes of stoke play with 10 foot gimmies on. He shot 50 and I shot 55. He played really bad for him and I was hitting better than I should have. Had a 10 on one hole that wasn't so nice but managed a couple of bogies. Then we played match play (no strokes given to me) and I made it until the 14th hole before the match ended. Hit some really good hybrid shots, especially with the 5 hybrid. Such a good club. I was hitting it right around 165-170 yards and my best shot of the day was a 5 hy that went 200 yards off the tee. I had a par on one par 5 too so those were the highlights.

Oh I took some swing speed measurements with my driver. My high was 96.7mph but most were around 94-95mph. Very happy with progress so far guys, that Orange Whip is really great for exercising the golf swing and the mobility work is paying off. My back felt great the whole time and my speed has increased (we made sure there was no boost on the sim).

Cheers

Oh, hell yes to ALL of this!

Way to go, brother.

As for that short game, dude, seriously get two Cleveland CBX wedges and let the club do the work. I struggled mightily with those same shots. Enter the CBX wedges and it's one of the only reliable parts of my game. I'm sure you're settling in after building an entire bag in less than 2 months but if/when the budget allows.........put em in the bag. Don't take my word for it. There's a mile long thread in the clubs forum. Check it out.

Congrats on your round, man. So glad to read that post.

Oh, hell yes to ALL of this!

Way to go, brother.

As for that short game, dude, seriously get two Cleveland CBX wedges and let the club do the work. I struggled mightily with those same shots. Enter the CBX wedges and it's one of the only reliable parts of my game. I'm sure you're settling in after building an entire bag in less than 2 months but if/when the budget allows.........put em in the bag. Don't take my word for it. There's a mile long thread in the clubs forum. Check it out.

Congrats on your round, man. So glad to read that post.

Thanks brother, it was a fun afternoon. Nice to play some form of golf anyway, even if it was on a screen. I'll certainly check out those Clevelands. I always used to play Cleveland wedges until Callaway stole my heart a few years ago. They were the best wedges I've ever played at the time. The issue wasn't really the clubs at all though, it was me. I haven't practiced those shots at all so makes sense. Those distances used to by my money shots. I loved 60 yards, 50 yards etc.

I still have room in my bag for one more club so maybe it will be a Cleveland 58 or 60 degree.

My new grips! I love em so far and they look great. Just need to get my Driver, 5 wood and 4 hybrid done now.

tzJja4h.jpg

TtkcrP3.jpg

Hit the indoor golf again today. Here's a swing vid update with my 7 iron. Shank included in the vid. The last swing was my best. Was normally getting 145-150 out of it.

Funny thing was that I couldn't get my 7 wood out much past that. Was hitting it 175-190. I had one over 200. I'm hitting my 5 hybrid almost as far. (didn't hit my Driver, 4 wood or 4 hybrid as I got them regripped today and the glue was still drying on them.) I guess it's just going to take longer to get the long clubs comfortable. I have now set my 7 wood to a 6 wood for the next session and my Driver I have adjusted up to 12 degrees in neutral. I'm still trying to figure out my flight pattern.

Have a good one

Last edited:
Welcome to the dark side of swinging lefty haha very cool seeing the progress! Keep up the work my man.

Welcome and I'll be following your progression!

Being Lefty is the best way to go and basically the norm considering you're Canadian!!

Good luck from a fellow right handed that plays as a lefty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome and I'll be following your progression!

Being Lefty is the best way to go and basically the norm considering you're Canadian!!

Good luck from a fellow right handed that plays as a lefty!

Haha thanks man, what made you take up the game left handed?

Haha thanks man, what made you take up the game left handed?

Probably due to hockey.. I'm left-handed for hockey golf baseball

So I hit the Sim today by myself. Warmed up then played my first full eighteen. It was from Am tee's, slow greens and six ft gimmies on and I took no mulligans. Had three pars, all on par three holes, sunk a forty one foot putt on one of them which was pretty funny. (putting on sims is not great)

NB1bFIs.jpg

Pretty happy with that although no clue how it would relate to a real score. On the first nine I shanked so many chips and pitches closer than fifty yards. Even one yard off the green I shanked a couple. On the back nine I figured it out and might have shanked one. I got stuck in the woods on one hole on the back, took me three shots just to get it out.

My driver speed had dropped from the previous session I noticed. I was only hitting it about 88mph where I had got up to 96mph the week before. After the round I hit the driving range. I had it set in twelve degrees loft and was getting it out there to a max of 235 yards. The cool thing was I adjusted some things in my swing and man, I was getting the speed up there! Consistently over 100mph. Usually 101-102, but I had a few over 104 like this one:

9Qs66Cu.jpg

Pretty surprising but another shout out to the Orange Whip, I should get those guys to sponsor me.

And these are the averages of a few swings. My dispersion may need work...

OY4pGT1.jpg

I adjusted the driver down to 10.5 and hit some more but the flight was too low. I had to leave at that point so didn't get to try it at 11.25 degree setting. I was pushing the ball as well so I have now set it to 11.25 and also put it in draw bias. Not the most draw setting, but one from it. I also put the weight to draw in the bottom of the club. I think that loft will be better and the draw bias should help too. I'll probably do this again Wednesday or Thursday.

It was a real learning session for me. I am trying way too hard and it's costing me. Letting things go, instead of forcing them is my aim and I failed at that quite a lot today. Still, my back was great and I'm happy to learn and keep going. Oh and it was only -20 C here today so it's getting warm now :D

Last edited:
A ha the old adage about lefties, are they normal? The Latin word for left is sinister, so our history is packed with abuse.

I am left handed with two hands and right handed with one. So golf ,cricket , baseball I'm lefty, tennis, writing I am right. My father was the complete opposite. As little boy, he tried to teach me cricket and saw me pick the bat up left handed, and let me go with it. Casting a fishing line for me is left handed if I use both hands (over my left shoulder and with left hand highest) and right handed if I use one. Go figure.

Good luck, and do not try to buy a 13 degree three wood...……….

Oh, I have issues with L3 and L5 after a squash injury thirty years ago. Keep weight at normal, and listen to your back. I go to a chiropractor every month, but I am 64 this year. Easier now I am less than 180 pounds.

A ha the old adage about lefties, are they normal? The Latin word for left is sinister, so our history is packed with abuse.

I am left handed with two hands and right handed with one. So golf ,cricket , baseball I'm lefty, tennis, writing I am right. My father was the complete opposite. As little boy, he tried to teach me cricket and saw me pick the bat up left handed, and let me go with it. Casting a fishing line for me is left handed if I use both hands (over my left shoulder and with left hand highest) and right handed if I use one. Go figure.

Good luck, and do not try to buy a 13 degree three wood...……….

Oh, I have issues with L3 and L5 after a squash injury thirty years ago. Keep weight at normal, and listen to your back. I go to a chiropractor every month, but I am 64 this year. Easier now I am less than 180 pounds.

That's interesting that you write right handed but do most other things left handed. That's some good info on "sinister" too, I never knew that. I'll never see a ciro again but I do a lot of physio work. The weight part is a very good point, I will double down on that effort. I'd like to be sub 210lbs by May.

Oh and no worries on a 13 degree 3 wood finding its way into my bag. Only way I could see that happening is if it replacing my driver.

Just got back from the sim again. I joined a league. Today I played Pebble Beach. The rules are you play from the Am tee's and 6 ft gimmies are on. It goes until Spring so it should be good fun.

My Score today was 94 with a 42 on the back 9. The front was not great, I just wasn't hitting the ball very solid at all. I really started to hit some decent shots on the back (new long drive record for me 252 Yards) though. My chipping and pitching was much better too. Only had 2 shanks I think, maybe 3. I made a few putts too which was nice.

YSHnkBC.jpg

I haven't been out to the range at all, it's been -25C here for the last 10 days or so. Even with the heaters, that's a bit much, even for me.

I however just had a swing breakthrough at home. I wasn't even swinging, I was just thinking about my swing and that there is still a tension in it. A tightness in the follow through in my upper back. It wasn't crazy bad or anything or even painful but it was there. I have been thinking that it was just my injury and that it was probably going to be like that no matter what going forward. Then I started thinking it might not be...

This whole approach I'm making is based on feel. So I starting thinking, was there something that was restricting my swing. Was I as free as I could be? And then bam, it just hit me. My hips. I started thinking that I was restricting them somehow in the swing. I grabbed my orange whip and tried something. Bam! It worked right away. In my swing I was not turning my hips much at all. It doesn't look too bad on tape but the feeling when I loosened them was immediately effective.

In order to turn them more, I had to "squat" a bit more in the back swing and especially the follow through. I took a few normal cuts and same familiar tension. I then started that squat move in order to turn my hips more and just crazy. Major increase in club head speed right away (at least it felt that way, have to get on a sim to see). Much more free and no tension in my back at all. Real freedom! Wow. I was using the ground much better as well. I reverted back to old habits a few times and man what a difference, my swing was slower and tense. Switch back to the big hip turn and squat and it feels like butter.

Figuring this out is a major mile stone because it's something I never would have found if I was seeing an instructor I'm sure. I did the same thing swinging right handed for 20 years. I was a long hitter as it was but if someone could have seen that I had this issue I'm pretty sure I could have competed in long drive haha. Never once did an instructor point it out. I bet unless you were really, really looking for it, it's not something a coach would notice. Next post is my method to figuring things out in my swing by myself. Well so far. I'm sure it will change in some ways as I go. I'll try and keep it updated.

My Methods ( long) for finding My Swing.

My Methods ( long) for finding My Swing.

This is my method for uncovering or finding my swing:

1. I have to be loose and swing with rhythm. If I don't have a nice rhythm it brings in tension and kills the swing. This means a very light grip too.

2. Pay attention to what feels tight when you are swinging. Is it your feet? Ankles? Knees? Hips? Back? Neck? Jaw? When you notice something off, stretch it out or look up some exercises on youtube for that part of the body. Play around with some things and try and get some freedom back. This may solve the issue. If not...

3. Try making some swing changes to see if you can get rid of the tension. Take your club and just make a bunch of practice swings. Try moving your weight around. Balls of feet, on the toes, on the heels. Try swinging a bit smoother. Try a shorter back-swing. Try swinging faster. Try Varying the angle of the swing. Try changing your grip or setup. Where you feel free and without tension is your path. Where I have been able to reduce tension it has never failed to provide a better strike and freer swing.

4. Closing your eyes can increase awareness when looking for tension or a solution to it. (balance is key here, go slow if you haven't tried this before)

5. Think about your swing when you aren't golfing. Think, where does it feel like you are trying too hard to do something? Does it feel like a huge effort to take the club back? Does it hurt a little? Is there tension somewhere? Why? Wherever there is excessive effort I think there is a good chance that's where your problem is or a huge clue to it. Now that tight left arm going back might be caused by many things however, you're going to have to go back to #3 to find it.

6. Do lots and lots of mobility work. 10-20 minutes a day will add up but an hour and you will see a huge change. Get a matt, some massage balls of different sizes and a foam roller. Do it in front of the tv. I sleep better when I do it before bed too. Again youtube for your mobility work. Kelly Starrette is a good place to start. He has lots of great stuff. Some things you can do at work without looking like a fool too haha. Lower body strength exercise is good too of course, squats and that kind of thing.

7. Video of the swing is mostly only useful to look at after finding a problem by feel. When you find an issue, fix it through feel and then compare before and after swings with video, it's cool to see. It's immediately obvious in retrospect that there is an issue. "Why couldn't I see that before? Seems so obvious now."

I'll update this as I evolve and sharpen my methods for anyone interested. I realize this is crazy talk to a lot of people and most will disagree with my methods. That's fine, i'm not trying to convince anyone. It would have been crazy to me a few years ago too. I was enamored with hitting "positions". So terrible imo now. The proof will be in the pudding as they say. It will be interesting to see what happens at least :bomb:

Oh man, strange day.

So I had a match set with a buddy on the sim. Last night I get home and crashed way early. Fell asleep at 8pm, and woke up at 2:30 and did not get back to sleep until 7am. Golf was 11:30 so when I woke up at 10:30 it did not give me time to stretch out. I did warm up but it wasn't as good as it should have been.

We started and I was hitting the ball unbelievably. first 4 holes I was 2 over with 4 GIR. The hip change I made made it so easy to hit the ball. It was awesome....and then it wasn't. I was setting up to swing when the guys in the stall next to me started yelling something to each other and it threw me off. I should have stepped away but I didn't and made some super weird jerky swing (almost missed the ball) and I felt a pop in my back. ****.

For a moment I was scared to move and broke out in a light sweat. But I did move and it was ok, kinda..... There was definite pain in my lower right back. I could swing gently to a degree so for the rest of the round I just chipped and putted while my buddy hit my full swings. No point risking anything. So I got home and have been stretching out and it's better now. Still there is a major tender spot in my back and I'll have to see how it is tomorrow.

This is a wake up call. I need to totally reconsider my physical training. I can't be in 75% of the way like I have been the last week or two. I have to be 100% committed. I got cocky and let some things lax. I was so far ahead of where I thought I would be, I just got overconfident. I have not been as consistent in my exercise as I had been. I'm doing it most days but not as long etc. I've been slacking a bit. And for me, I can't do that anymore. It's not going to work. I need to get more serious about that, starting now.

So I took two weeks off of golf and just worked on my back. Mostly mobility work and it was feeling good after a few days. Took my time just to be sure. I started swinging my Orange whip a few days ago with no pain.

So went for indoor golf against my buddy who I have the bet with (actually made that same bet with another buddy too. He's better, around a 13 hc). It only applies to a real course, not indoor. Anyway I shot a 93 and he shot 97. His putting and chipping was horrible thankfully.

By the end of the round my back was starting to tighten up a bit. Just shows me I need to increase my training and lose more weight. I have to push my comfort level again or I'm going to be stuck here at best.

Swing was ok. Overall I'm happy with the score but that's not really what this is about for me. It's about improving my body and overcoming the challenge of golfing left handed. The golf part I'm having good success at. The improving my body part has been at a plateau for several months. I have a friend that's a trainer that is going to help me with some new exercises to shake things up.

Cheers all, hope everyone's good

So I took two weeks off of golf and just worked on my back. Mostly mobility work and it was feeling good after a few days. Took my time just to be sure. I started swinging my Orange whip a few days ago with no pain.

So went for indoor golf against my buddy who I have the bet with (actually made that same bet with another buddy too. He's better, around a 13 hc). It only applies to a real course, not indoor. Anyway I shot a 93 and he shot 97. His putting and chipping was horrible thankfully.

By the end of the round my back was starting to tighten up a bit. Just shows me I need to increase my training and lose more weight. I have to push my comfort level again or I'm going to be stuck here at best.

Swing was ok. Overall I'm happy with the score but that's not really what this is about for me. It's about improving my body and overcoming the challenge of golfing left handed. The golf part I'm having good success at. The improving my body part has been at a plateau for several months. I have a friend that's a trainer that is going to help me with some new exercises to shake things up.

Cheers all, hope everyone's good

Stay the course, brother. You got this!

From one Canuck to another, good luck! There's one bonus to having such a long off-season up here, we get to practice a lot at the sim or the dome.

Back