Who's going to putt with flag in ???

... The flag in helps a poor putt and doesn't effect a good putt, so why on earth would anyone pull it when it is within the rules to keep it in? I am guessing the same people that will make their drops from shoulder high instead of knee high.

Playing single I’ll leave it in. In a group I’ll leave it in unless someone wants it out. I’m ok with either way.

There’s pretty much no situation minus poor weather that will lead me to do this. Not against it entirely for others it’s just not what I like to do. The extra 20 seconds makes me not feel rushed and enjoy the putting experience more.
Not even the advantage it provides?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'll leave it in unless someone wants it out.

Probably someone putting from 40 feet who has poor eyesight
I have poor eyesight (at least in the left eye) and routinely pulled the pin for every putt (even 40+ feet) even while playing single.

Solo rounds the flag stays on its home.

Group rounds I think it’ll stay in until the first guy holes one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always pull it out... Even for a majority of closer chips and will continue to do so. Just doesn't suit my eye.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Is there research/data available that supports the argument that IN is an advantage ???

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk

Is there research/data available that supports the argument that IN is an advantage ???

I think it was Pelz who did an experiment with chipping and cane to the conclusion that it had no ill effect and could only help (paraphrased). That would most definitely translate to putting.

I’ll putt with the flag in - especially since if the ball is stuck between the edge and flag it counts as holed

I have no "supportive data" but my belief is that the stick , even for short putts, enhances the visibility of the target (hole) and the ability to focus at same.

I plan on putting with the flag in most of the time. Mostly because I just don’t think I’ll take the time to pull it if I don’t have to, should save a bit of time:)

I will probably leave it in for tap ins only. I'm not going to go down the rabbit hole of leaving it in for certain scenarios where I think it will increase my chances.

My assumption is that they made the rule change thinking of saving time for tap ins and groups that want to play quickly. I don't think it was made for the Bryson DeChambeau types. Though, I think we will run into a few of them out there.

I will leave it in. If someone who went before me had it pulled I won't put it back in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’m leaving it in since it can only help.

Yeah I've seen the research but psychologically it will take some getting used to, so it might be a gradual adoption phase to me over several seasons if I choose to do so.

This is prob my favourite rule change and maybe I am over analysing (aka Bryce).

I am also a fan of anything that screws with the old boys who don't like change :)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

This is prob my favourite rule change and maybe I am over analysing (aka Bryce).

I am also a fan of anything that screws with the old boys who don't like change :)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
I just don't know how I will react when playing in a tournament and two of the foursome want the pin in and they aren't going to be playing right after the other. Pull the pin for furthest out. Put the pin back in for the next guy. Pull the pin for the next guy. Put the pin back in. Rinse repeat and add in all the walking off and excessive green reading.

My eyes will be sore from all of the rolling they'll be doing.

I just don't know how I will react when playing in a tournament and two of the foursome want the pin in and they aren't going to be playing right after the other. Pull the pin for furthest out. Put the pin back in for the next guy. Pull the pin for the next guy. Put the pin back in. Rinse repeat and add in all the walking off and excessive green reading.

My eyes will be sore from all of the rolling they'll be doing.
Maybe they'll make a new rule. Each green will have two holes cut in it. One will have a permanently installed flag. The other will be removable. Declare before the round which you're playing to.

I’ll leave it for long putts more often. I’ll leave it in for all putts if the rest of the group wants to.

I am hopeful certain groups I play with leave it in if for no other reason than the cringe it induces everytime they drop it on the green with that massive "thump" that lets me know I will be repairing the flag mark on the green...often followed by their club. weird that a heavy metal clubhead could make an indentation like that...

I'm a bit surprised how many guys will leave the stick in. When playing solo rounds I would always leave it in during long putts and then pull it during mid/short range putts. I'm a bit on the fence as to what I'll do. I definitely think it could help speed up play if guys leave it in but like mentioned before, I bet guys will still pull it until it becomes a norm on the Tour. As long as it doesn't negatively effect me I will probably leave it in.

I am hopeful certain groups I play with leave it in if for no other reason than the cringe it induces everytime they drop it on the green with that massive "thump" that lets me know I will be repairing the flag mark on the green...often followed by their club. weird that a heavy metal clubhead could make an indentation like that...

I'm pin in, but your post actually points out a reason to pull it, at least early in a round when there is dew on the grass. The pin provides a way to keep the wedge grips dry for those who chipped on. Also a good place to lay clubs so as to not forget them and then have to back track and find them.

Back