Who's going to putt with flag in ???

On long putts I will probably leave it in just so no one has to tend it.
But on any other putts I can see the hole fine, the flag will be out.

I’ll leave the flag in unless my playing partners want it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will for sure!

My new favorite sound will be "clank"!

I'm lazy so it will all depend on the preference of my playing partner(s).

I'll probably still take it out unless pressed for time

I’ll probably leave it in if I’m ready rather than wait for other players. Once it is out, unless it is a severe downhill putt, I’ll leave it out.

Basically my thoughts as well-unless the wind is into me and it's leaning toward me.

When I've played as a single I've usually kept it in anyway so that won't change. Otherwise I'll go with whatever the group wants to do, doesn't bother me either way.

I don't quite understand the rule, but the only change for me will be when/if I chip or hit the ball to tap in range and others are off the green. Instead of pulling the flag and knocking it in or marking and waiting, I will just go up and finish it off.

What I was told by someone who wasn't really sure either was that if you putt once with the stick in, it stays that way for your 2nd putt and vice versa. Is that anywhere close to the truth? If so I don't see this rule speeding up play if you have someone like bryson who wants the stick in and the rest of the PGA who wants the stick out....

Minus an official tournament, I’ve been putting with the flag in for years lol

for me, I will do what ever the majority in my group want to do. When playing alone, I will pull the flag!

I will do what the group wants to do. I've been leaving it in for years, especially when playing Solo or with buddies that like to play fast.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

I don't quite understand the rule, but the only change for me will be when/if I chip or hit the ball to tap in range and others are off the green. Instead of pulling the flag and knocking it in or marking and waiting, I will just go up and finish it off.

What I was told by someone who wasn't really sure either was that if you putt once with the stick in, it stays that way for your 2nd putt and vice versa. Is that anywhere close to the truth? If so I don't see this rule speeding up play if you have someone like bryson who wants the stick in and the rest of the PGA who wants the stick out....
I've never seen that. Only references to it being optional.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Alone for sure as I already putt with the flag in when playing alone. In a group, I will do whatever the group is doing and/or just putt with it in when the group is not impacted. I.e. I am first on and no one is near the flag to tend/pull it, I will just putt with it in.

I like the idea of tending the pin for others. That way I don’t have to rush in behind them to get a read on their putt if I may be on a similar line. I don’t see leaving the pin in as a huge time saver. In a foursome where everyone is on the green you can still play ready golf as usually the guy closest to the pin tends it. Then the guy who just putted ends up taking that role while the guy who originally tended the pin can go back and get ready to putt while the other two are putting.

I'll go with whatever the group I'm with prefers, but by myself I'll leave it in all the time most likely.

I’ll leave it in.

Me. Not taking it out...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm pin in, but your post actually points out a reason to pull it, at least early in a round when there is dew on the grass. The pin provides a way to keep the wedge grips dry for those who chipped on. Also a good place to lay clubs so as to not forget them and then have to back track and find them.

I have no issue with it being pulled and/or resting clubs, my issue is the letting it drop. The metal rings on those things, I have repaired the marks they left so many times. I actually personally prefer it out, but when I remove the flag, I try first to place it on the fringe, second well away from anyone's line. Either way, I actually lift my foot to catch it and lower it gently to the ground. Costs me no time and saves damage to the green. When I take a club to the green, my preference is to lay it crosswise across the stick as you mention, but that can also be done without casually dropping the club on the green and indenting it.

Already slowing my groups down. Some want it others don't. Lots of flag work.

Played yesterday and still pulled the flag on all putts between 4 and about 25 feet. Then again, I have always been one to pull the flag on the majority of my chip shots if I could clearly see the hole. Almost 40 years of playing one way is going to be tough to change.

Half the pins I come across are leaning some way or another and would actually knock the ball out so I am probably pulling the pin. If I am playing by myself I leave it in.

Half the pins I come across are leaning some way or another and would actually knock the ball out so I am probably pulling the pin. If I am playing by myself I leave it in.

Same here, especially in the off-season. When they're wonky, pulled for sure, but I'll putt with them in as long as they don't look like they'll interfere. For me, this one is more about the availability of convenience within the rules of golf than anything. I'm sure most groups I play with will pull it by force of habit alone for some time, but nice to know i'm not technically cheating when I'm playing alone or walk up to tap in a putt after a good chip (not that I really cared before :D)

leaving it in always. and imo should be the rule. You want it out, then go and get it, avoid lines, figure where to place, then put it back when all are done.

Back