Who's going to putt with flag in ???

I'll be fine either way, but will probably go flag in if given my choice. It's easier, faster And statistically of benefit. I'm a lazy guy who likes to make the game easier I guess.

Flag. In.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

If everyone leaves the flag in and the last player to hole out collects all the balls from the cup will this lead to less damage around the hole???

And would it speed up play? You could argue the other players are given time to replace putters and pull drivers a bit earlier. Ready golf replaces honours on the T so it doesn’t matter if the ball collector won the previous hole or not.

Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A number of players were shown yesterday hitting a number of putts in the hole with the flagstick still in. Bryson being one of them.

But not everyone goes out to play a 3 hour round of golf. Why can't i play in a 3 ball that takes 3:45, obviously let people through if they are flying around. I don't see anyone in my group wanting the flag left in within makeable range. If it is a tend the flag situation, then i can see the pin being left alone, allowing people to get their putts ready if further away. Short tap ins don't matter if the pin is in or out its those 8-10 footers

All this talk with this new flag in rule .... I wonder how the first THP event is going to play out this year? :confused2:

But not everyone goes out to play a 3 hour round of golf. Why can't i play in a 3 ball that takes 3:45, obviously let people through if they are flying around. I don't see anyone in my group wanting the flag left in within makeable range. If it is a tend the flag situation, then i can see the pin being left alone, allowing people to get their putts ready if further away. Short tap ins don't matter if the pin is in or out its those 8-10 footers

but with the pin left in the hole, the odds (even if minimal) of balls dropping in are increased. So why would you want to decrease your odds at 8 to 10 feet?

I dont think anyone feels this is any end all to pace problems in itself. But it will help a tad to keep things moving more smoothly. No one has to tend anything, nor deal with the pin at all in any way, everyone can just make their putts or chips etc... when ready. And whomever it is that would tend and/or deal with the pin can then spend that extra time preparing/lining up for his shot instead while the others go which will probably help him make it more times as well in addition to keeping a smoother flow. Its a win win for everyone. I just dont get the logic where 8 to 10 feet would be any different or special from anything else.

All this talk with this new flag in rule .... I wonder how the first THP event is going to play out this year? :confused2:

fist fights, club throwing, cart crashing,.....you name it. A war:alien:
But perhaps THP will just make the rule one way only for such events. If it were me, Id make it an always in rule unless that day was real heavy winds and then id make it an always out rule.

I likely will when on my own, but slow play is never a problem then.

Don't see it having a drastic improvement in groups but every little helps. This combined with the reduced search time and option to drop from oob will all add up.

but with the pin left in the hole, the odds (even if minimal) of balls dropping in are increased. So why would you want to decrease your odds at 8 to 10 feet?

I dont think anyone feels this is any end all to pace problems in itself. But it will help a tad to keep things moving more smoothly. No one has to tend anything, nor deal with the pin at all in any way, everyone can just make their putts or chips etc... when ready. And whomever it is that would tend and/or deal with the pin can then spend that extra time preparing/lining up for his shot instead while the others go which will probably help him make it more times as well in addition to keeping a smoother flow. Its a win win for everyone. I just dont get the logic where 8 to 10 feet would be any different or special from anything else.

Because within 8-10 feet you can physically see more of the hole so a specific part of the hole can become a target, for me I like to aim at the back of the hole and with a pin in I can't see it. As you said the differences are minimal whether taking in or out for saving time over a round. I'm happy we can stop tending now on longer putts.
I just find the pin distracting when left in the hole and I can actually see the inside of the cup.

Most of the time on the green time is wasted by people wanting to check from several angles etc. not flag bothering

I play alone a lot so most likely I will be leaving it in. If I am playing with others and they want it out then so be it I am not going to do the put it in and pull it out back and forth on every green.

My morning rounds, it's just me, and I'm walking. I left the pin in anyways. Saves time, which matters when I'm trying to get to work in the morning.

~Rock

I play alone a lot so most likely I will be leaving it in. If I am playing with others and they want it out then so be it I am not going to do the put it in and pull it out back and forth on every green.

well, I hate to say it but my take is then if they want it out they can disrupt the flow and go and deal with it all the time. In person Im a cooperating person and if im already right there i will pull it but i dont need to leave my agenda of lining up being ready and preparing for my chips and putts just because someone must insist to disrupt that flow by having the the pin pulled when its not required. I dont wish to sound mean but imo its like get over it and get use to it or go and deal with it yourself. There is just no need for the disruption (whatever it may be minimal or more) that dealing with it does actually place on an otherwise smoother flow for everyone. i dont need it out and id rather spend my time better preparing and being ready for my shot while another is taking theirs instead of wasting that time and effort to deal with the pin. That time is simply better spent towards your own next shot and makes for better flow. And im not one to complain much about pace unless its really that bad nor am i one to want to play any form of speed golf at all. I hate speed golf as much as i hate 5 hr rounds. But to me this about smoother flow more than anything and disruption to that flow. It will add to help eliminate some part of a round that does become too slow. But it allows all to get to thier balls and look over their shots/putts and prepare better and more smoothly rather than someone having to do pin work instead of that. The flow of the golf for all will simply be better.

Last edited:
well, I hate to say it but my take is then if they want it out they can disrupt the flow and go and deal with it all the time. In person Im a cooperating person and if im already right there i will pull it but i dont need to leave my agenda of lining up being ready and preparing for my chips and putts just because someone must insist to disrupt that flow by having the the pin pulled when its not required. I dont wish to sound mean but imo its like get over it and get use to it or go and deal with it yourself. There is just no need for the disruption (whatever it may be minimal or more) that dealing with it does actually place on an otherwise smoother flow for everyone.

I can play either way so that’s what I was getting at. If my group wants it out then I am fine with it. Either way we will make a decision before we start playing in or out as a group and everyone will deal with it that way. I am just not going to be pulling it and putting it back for each persons shot.

I can play either way so that’s what I was getting at. If my group wants it out then I am fine with it. Either way we will make a decision before we start playing in or out as a group and everyone will deal with it that way. I am just not going to be pulling it and putting it back for each persons shot.

and that is exactly the potential problem a choice creates. The USGA was stupid here and should just make it a firm no choice rule. with only one exception of a local rule to pull it on the windiest of days. And that can be determined on that rarer day.

I love this rule change for no other reason than it creates debate.

People get hung up on pace of play, but in my opinion no rule change will affect that.

I'm putting with the flag in, did it Thursday and loved it, not sure that it made any difference and there is absolutely no way to tell, but it felt good so I'm doing it.

What I did notice ... If you chip it close you can walk up and tap it in immediately. That's a good feeling and always something I didn't like before. I was always undecided before and hated the indecision on whether to putt or not.

Other thing , it's harder to get the ball out of the hole with the pin in. I noticed that with Bryce too.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk

I love this rule change for no other reason than it creates debate.

People get hung up on pace of play, but in my opinion no rule change will affect that.

I'm putting with the flag in, did it Thursday and loved it, not sure that it made any difference and there is absolutely no way to tell, but it felt good so I'm doing it.

What I did notice ... If you chip it close you can walk up and tap it in immediately. That's a good feeling and always something I didn't like before. I was always undecided before and hated the indecision on whether to putt or not.

Other thing , it's harder to get the ball out of the hole with the pin in. I noticed that with Bryce too.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8304F1 using Tapatalk

I think (if it were always left in with no choice to the matter) it would help a little more than people think because it would (as I keep mentioning) allow things to simply flow a bit smoother.. And that up through 18 holes/greens and it counts. It wont be noticed in a sense of a 5 hr round now going to be a 4 hr round or even a 4.5 hr round but I am confident what will be noticed is a better flow and by default that will have to assist in a positive way as for some measurable over all time whatever that time may been otherwise.

I keep harping on this matter because I just concern that there will be some annoyances and/or tensions between players. I know its going to annoy me that I or someone has to deal with the pin in the same disturbing ways we always had to instead of just tending to our business just because someone will want it out while its no longer required. I just don't care for the idea that we would still continue to do something that imo was always an unnecessary disruption that we no longer have to do. Imo the powers that be finally realized its really been nothing but a disruption all along and there is no real need for the way it was. This change is a good one imo bit they are blowing it and just perhaps even causing it to backfire by having it as a choice.

Last edited:
I still think the 2 holes on each green idea is a good one. :alien:

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Still not going to putt with flag in anytime soon!

That I found interesting was Bryson has backed down in his approach that he would leave the flag in for all putts at certain venues. I noticed today that there were many putts that the flag was out. I suspect that he is adjusting further with real time game play that for him, for whatever reason it is more advantageous to pull the pin. From the telecast that I did catch over the last two rounds, I recollect he made more putts inside 15' with the flag out, than with it in. With all the hype, it will be interesting to see at the end of the week, how Bryson's stats fall out.

I will from time to time. Like when the ball is well below the hole. I can't see doing it for every putt but it could happen. If you go out as a single it probably makes sense to putt with it in all 18.

Still not going to putt with flag in anytime soon!

and respectfully (if playing as a single when with others who wish to leave it in) you just might find yourself having to deal with it on your own and/or possibly being a disturbance to the others who would otherwise not want to deal with it and would rather just go their balls, keep flowing, and get themselves ready.

Last edited:
There are a number of people who say while they will want it out but would then play with it in when by themselves. One thing to note about that is this. ...….That in itself is something which goes to show just how much a disruption to flow that dealing with the pin actually can be.

Last edited:
Back