Who's going to putt with flag in ???

There are a number of people who say while they will want it out but would then play with it in when by themselves. One thing to note about that is this. ...….That in itself is something which goes to show just how much a disruption to flow that dealing with the pin actually can be.
You keep mentioning flow. How much time is spent pulling the flag when you play? Walk up and pull it, takes 5 seconds.

I already was leaving the flag in when playing casual rounds by myself.

Who’s going to putt with flag in?

If I were to ask my golf buddies this question they would have the faintest idea of what I’m talking about.

There are a number of people who say while they will want it out but would then play with it in when by themselves. One thing to note about that is this. ...….That in itself is something which goes to show just how much a disruption to flow that dealing with the pin actually can be.

Playing as a single and playing in a group, even if only two of you, is a different animal. Also, being so concerned about "flow", I am surprised you haven't discussed the new ability to fix spike marks, etc., on the green. Given the condition of the greens where I play, the number of newbies who aren't tuned into etiquette and the number of old guys that drag their feet, fixing damage to the greens could be a real disruption to "flow" much more so than pulling the flag and/or putting it back in. I'd be interested in your solution for that!

I'd be interested in your solution for that!

Lifetime ban from the course for anyone caught dragging their feet and not taking the time to fix it themselves!

Lifetime ban from the course for anyone caught dragging their feet and not taking the time to fix it themselves!

That may be something we’d all like to do but that does not address the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playing as a single and playing in a group, even if only two of you, is a different animal. Also, being so concerned about "flow", I am surprised you haven't discussed the new ability to fix spike marks, etc., on the green. Given the condition of the greens where I play, the number of newbies who aren't tuned into etiquette and the number of old guys that drag their feet, fixing damage to the greens could be a real disruption to "flow" much more so than pulling the flag and/or putting it back in. I'd be interested in your solution for that!
yea I suppose it could be but its not what this discussion is about so disrupting flow via dealing with the pin is not relevant to the other disruptions to flow that may exist except for in a different conversation of why something else is bad (or not) for a smoother flow. I havnt thought about that one.

You keep mentioning flow. How much time is spent pulling the flag when you play? Walk up and pull it, takes 5 seconds.

I don't recall if this thread or the other pin rule thread but I gave a couple/few example scenarios where dealing with the pin is not just 5 seconds and is indeed a disruption. I can spell out many (quite a number) of different scenarios where dealing with the pin is disruptive, time consuming, and an outright annoyance, especially when we consider chipping as well as putting.

Situationally, I'll keep the flag in on that slick downhill putt.

That may be something we’d all like to do but that does not address the issue.

Sure it does. Once they're all banned we won't have to worry anymore.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Played 2 rounds this year so far. First round had the stick or mostly due to partners. Second round was left in on 90%of putts after i drained a couple and my partners realised it made no difference.

Flag stick in for me!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Today is my first pairing of the year with someone I don’t know. Looking forward to seeing if they want in or out.

Two rounds in this year and our 4 some has left the in in for all the 36 holes. We all agree, it's a faster pace on the greens with the pin in.

Two rounds in for me. Not that it matters because it’s off season.

But I have found myself not waiting for the flag to get pulled when I have an overly long putt. Mostly indifference.

No chance inside 20 feet though.

We played 17 of 18 holes with the flag in - i agree with Dan inside of 20 ft in season probably pull it

We played 17 of 18 holes with the flag in - i agree with Dan inside of 20 ft in season probably pull it

I'd probably make that closer to 10 feet or so, but I think it's nice for longer putts when everyone's coming in, nobody has to go grab the flag. Putt it, pull it when you're close, don't need to worry about making the putt and having to take a penalty.

I tried it a couple times today, the flags at our courser a bit larger at the bottom. I did make 2putts with it in though.

I will totally try putting with the flag in. The first time the pin screws me it will come out.

My son and I played with another father/son this afternoon and it was hit and miss on whether or not we pulled the flag. For the most part it only got pulled when someone was walking by they would pull it out of habit/convenience. Really wasn’t an issue and nobody really cared all that much during our casual round today.

I will totally try putting with the flag in. The first time the pin screws me it will come out.

but honestly you wont know if it was the pin that so calls "screwed you" because you may have gone right over the hole or whatever else. Just because you see the ball hit the pole and "think" it screwed you as the ball came out, you may have actually had a worse scenario 9as per the study) if it was out to begin with. And then there will be the times (as per the study of thousands of balls) that the would help an otherwise overshoot. Will you view an overshoot with the flag out and say if the flag wasin that woudnt have happened and that it would have hd a greater chance of sinking? Because honestly that's what the study resulted in actually happening. Over all it was a benefit with the flag in.

Im just getting these lgoics and (with due respect) the stubbornness that the pin will (no question) get removed for certain shorter mid range putts. I just think that mode of thinking is more about nothing but what your use to than it is anything else. Unless extra fat poles or extra heavy wind days there is just no reason for it. Do what you wish, but I wouldn't be disrupting things nor will I be taken away from my readiness to go and accommodate. If Im there and close and certainly if Im already done I will help with your individual problem. But other than that , you want it out.....go get it , be the disruption you insist on being while it isn't necessary and do your thing while the rest wait.

Last edited:
I suspect this rule change will cause a lot less heartburn than some think. I really do not see a great percentage of people changing how they've been putting their entire golfing lives--i.e., most will continue to pull it. I'll leave it in for lags so no one has to tend it and, perhaps, a scary fast downhill putt. Other than that, it will come out.

Even Mr. Quirky himself has been pulling the pin on many putts the last couple rounds. I really don't think it needs to be a big deal. But if you want to speed around the course and not pull it, the RoG says that's okay. So, to me, it's a positive overall.

Last edited:
I suspect this rule change will cause a lot less heartburn than some think. I really do not see a great percentage of people changing how they've been putting their entire golfing lives--i.e., most will continue to pull it. I'll leave it out for lags so no one has to tend it and, perhaps, a scary fast downhill putt. Other than that, it will come out.

Even Mr. Quirky himself has been pulling the pin on many putts the last couple rounds. I really don't think it needs to be a big deal. But if you want to speed around the course and not pull it, the RoG says that's okay. So, to me, it's a positive overall.

I don't think its necessarily a speedy thing. But I do think its definitely a better flow thing which in turn will keep things moving just a bit better over all. And I disagree as for most casual rounds (which is most golf played at most courses). I think plenty already will be leaving it in and I also think very many more will fairly quickly come realize just how less disruptive and smoother flowing things will be by leaving the pin alone all the time. I think then the biggest disruption will be coming from those who for whatever their reasons will insist it be pulled. Plenty people already were always a tad annoyed for those who had to remove it for chipping. Now that it doesn't have to be removed at all I think there we will find problems.

Heck yeah, I'm leaving it in for most all putts. Always felt it was a waste of time to pull it.

I’ll still pull the pin unless it’s just a tap in from a chip or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back