Who's going to putt with flag in ???

I saw two people putt with the flag in and the ball didn't drop in (left leaning against flag above the hole)

This is where it gets interesting cos on one of those the player just picked up (without making ball drop into the cup)

Thats when I hate the rules cos TECHNICALLY he didn't hole out.

I am never gonna say anything, but i know guys who would.

NOTE : I play comp golf, not social.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

I saw two people putt with the flag in and the ball didn't drop in (left leaning against flag above the hole)

This is where it gets interesting cos on one of those the player just picked up (without making ball drop into the cup)

From what I read, if any of the ball is below the hole, it's considered holed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Tomorrow is gonna be my first round this year. I'm gonna try to remember to leave it in all day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

technically (correct if wrong) there is a rule for that rare scenario. the player can move the pin stright and pull it. The ball will drop unless he is very careless. Honestly it will drop just by straightening the pin and since we dont have to pull it , it doesnt matter and the ball will be holed. So there really is no issue there.

technically (correct if wrong) there is a rule for that rare scenario. the player can move the pin stright and pull it. The ball will drop unless he is very careless. Honestly it will drop just by straightening the pin and since we dont have to pull it , it doesnt matter and the ball will be holed. So there really is no issue there.
From what i read that is the old way, with the new rule if any part of the ball is below the hole it is considered holed, you could then just pick the ball up. It would be considered holed without ever touching the bottom of the cup.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

From what i read that is the old way, with the new rule if any part of the ball is below the hole it is considered holed, you could then just pick the ball up. It would be considered holed without ever touching the bottom of the cup.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Problem solved, hence another possible concern within this topic which doesnt really exist

One thing is for sure, this rule is at the front of everyone's minds.

Two rounds into the year, I haven't escaped a stretch of nine holes without it being part of the conversation.

For 2019 I am 100% on board the leave the flag in train.

you stop it.

I did it almost all year last year anyway. Which with penalties that I’m told by others in threads that I’m supposed to assess makes me like a 36 handicap now.

Who wants to play now???? Anyone???? LOL

I did it almost all year last year anyway. Which with penalties that I’m told by others in threads that I’m supposed to assess makes me like a 36 handicap now.

Who wants to play now???? Anyone???? LOL

yeah, well, I took gimmes.. so I guess we're playing straight up!

Do whatever makes you happy on this I say. Myself I take it out because that’s what I am used to. If you like it in after I putt I will grab the flag and put it back in for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do whatever makes you happy on this I say. Myself I take it out because that’s what I am used to. If you like it in after I putt I will grab the flag and put it back in for you

****ing right you will.lol

I do it if I'm playing by myself. Just quicker.

I don't care how anybody does it, as long as everybody in the group gets the same.

In my current 3 ball, the other 2 have settled into putting with the flag in. I’m not convinced it offers any benefit though. In fact I still think it might be a disadvantage, so I’m pulling it at the moment.

At my home course, the cups aren't always (and by that, they usually aren't) cut terribly well. The result? A flag that leans inside the cup. For years now, whether I'd pull the pin when chipping or not depended on which way the flag was leaning.

I suspect the pin will be pulled most of the time at my home course. Elsewhere is another question that I haven't decided yet.

~Rock

I play a lot alone. And since I’m not considered honest enough to count my scores accurately, once they told me that I stopped pulling the flagstick. I now actually prefer it flag in now. Gives a really good visual. Certainly on long puts where the hole might be hard to see.

Bonus: I’ve probably played 100+ rounds flag in, and I find it really might help. Only time I’ve ever had one bounce away is when going 6ft by anyway. But I’ve had many hit the pin flush and dropped in when no chance it would have dropped otherwise.

I like having it in on short putts. I try to bang the flagstick with a little force. I think it keeps me from decelerating.

I'll leave it in every time unless someone else has pulled it and it slows play down. It's an advantage, why wouldn't you?

In my current 3 ball, the other 2 have settled into putting with the flag in. I’m not convinced it offers any benefit though. In fact I still think it might be a disadvantage, so I’m pulling it at the moment.

And so someone in golf (and with a science background) actually went out and hit thousands of balls with the flag both in and out just for this purpose. The collective results of that intensive study provided information that it is beneficial to leave the pin in. Not only do you see those results as questionable, but in fact see them as outright being wrong.

I mean at worse case scenario the very least one should surmise (if one should choose to find issue with the intense study) is that it makes no difference. And even then the only thing left is whether or not it will help pace at all. At very least it will help things flow smoother and that should directly relate to at least a little better pace.

Except for the rare extenuating circumstances there is no negative here but if anything at all only a positive that can come from it.

And so someone in golf (and with a science background) actually went out and hit thousands of balls with the flag both in and out just for this purpose. The collective results of that intensive study provided information that it is beneficial to leave the pin in. Not only do you see those results as questionable, but in fact see them as outright being wrong.

I mean at worse case scenario the very least one should surmise (if one should choose to find issue with the intense study) is that it makes no difference. And even then the only thing left is whether or not it will help pace at all. At very least it will help things flow smoother and that should directly relate to at least a little better pace.

Except for the rare extenuating circumstances there is no negative here but if anything at all only a positive that can come from it.

Well, now I’m gonna leave it in purely cause it clearly pisses you off!

Played yesterday.. it added to the choices when we got to the green, In, Out or Tend. I did not putt w/ it in, it seemed odd to me.

Well, now I’m gonna leave it in purely cause it clearly pisses you off!

hahaha not me but perhaps my west coast twin is out there somewhere. But none the less you can live with that vendetta if you like.

Last edited:
I've probably made 75 percent of "so what" putts (putts I took from the same spot that I just missed from and didn't count) when the pin was in that I think the memories should help me subconsciously, so I will leave the pin in.

Also, the science.

And you can be damn sure if the pin is leaning forward and traps my ball on the lip of the hole I'm counting that as a make unless it's a tournament.

I've probably made 75 percent of "so what" putts (putts I took from the same spot that I just missed from and didn't count) when the pin was in that I think the memories should help me subconsciously, so I will leave the pin in.

Also, the science.

And you can be damn sure if the pin is leaning forward and traps my ball on the lip of the hole I'm counting that as a make unless it's a tournament.
it would still be considered holed in a tourney anyway. So your good either way

Back