Shot scenario - what would you do?

It must be awesome to be able to hit a 326 yd drive.

The usual scenario for me when I play this par 5 hole from the 476 yd tee box is as follows
Shot 1 - Hit Driver 220 yds - which leaves me with 256 yds. to go.
Shot 2 - Hit 5 iron 160 yds. which leaves me with 96 yds to go
Shot 3 - Hit 9 iron onto green
Shot 4- Long putt for birdie (miss)
Shot 5 - Short putt for par

Making par all depends on how well I pulled off each of the shots above.
That sounds like a reasonable plan of attack based on your distances. Just out of curiosity, what made you think of the distance you asked about? Just a hypothetical I'm sure. But, it sounds like it's well outside of your typical plan of attack.

That sounds like a reasonable plan of attack based on your distances. Just out of curiosity, what made you think of the distance you asked about? Just a hypothetical I'm sure. But, it sounds like it's well outside of your typical plan of attack.

I selected 170 yds simply because I was interested in what shot various players would use and whether or not they would play a safe lay-up from that distance in light of the hazards surrounding this green. From my own personal experience this is not an easy green to stick. I especially find it interesting that a couple of folks said they would hit their 9 iron right onto the green from 170 yds out. Personally I find that hard to believe, but I would love to see it done.

I selected 170 yds simply because I was interested in what shot various players would use and whether or not they would play a safe lay-up from that distance in light of the hazards surrounding this green. From my own personal experience this is not an easy green to stick. I especially find it interesting that a couple of folks said they would hit their 9 iron right onto the green from 170 yds out. Personally I find that hard to believe, but I would love to see it done.
As iron lofts trend lower, I find myself having to relearn my gaps. My 9 iron used to be a 150 yard club. More recently, I am finding it to be more of a 160-170 yard club for some reason. My PW is my new 150 club. I now have to use a gap wedge when it was never an issue covering my gaps from 135 and under in the past. I am better at adding effort than laying off. So, hitting a hard 9 iron is a realistic approach for me. But, and I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I don't typically play with anyone that hits the ball as far as I do. Especially with irons. I have a strong flight with a good deal of shaft lean at impact. I know there are people that do. But, it's rare for me to see.

The picture changed things for me. We've got a 100-foot by 100-foot target--at least. With some of it being rough, it will play like there is even more margin. Many aren't taking into account the elevation change. You need to add about 7 yards to account for that. I'm going for the fat of the green unless...

...the green is rock hard.
...it's windy or the wind is really tricky.
...the green prominently slopes away.

If the above is the case, I'll lay up to 50-60 yards out. I'm really deadly from that distance.

As iron lofts trend lower, I find myself having to relearn my gaps. My 9 iron used to be a 150 yard club. More recently, I am finding it to be more of a 160-170 yard club for some reason. So, hitting a hard 9 iron is a realistic approach for me. But, and I'm not trying to toot my own horn, I don't typically play with anyone that hits the ball as far as I do. Especially with irons. I have a strong flight with a good deal of shaft lean at impact. I know there are people that do. But, it's rare for me to see.

That's one heck of a 9 iron you have. What is your swing speed? But since the green is elevated would you still think your 9 iron would be the club you would select, or would you possibly choose another club?

Last edited:
That's one heck of a 9 iron you have. What is your swing speed? But since the green is elevated would you still think your 9 iron would be the club you would select, or would you possibly choose another club?
I'd have to see the elevation. That's a variable I kind of forgot about. Last time I was on a launch monitor, I was testing a Ping 7 iron. Swing speed was 99.8 carry was 195, which was a little silly. It was an i500 iron. Driver would see me hover in the 118-122 range depending on how my back is feeling.

I would hit it to 100 yards out and then stick a wedge to less than 10 feet and make the par save putt.

Club up for the back of the green distance and aim at the right side. Hit it nice and snooth.

A little gripped down 6 iron or perhaps a hard 7 iron for me. Aim to the right side of the green and hopefully it will draw a bit.

A little gripped down 6 iron or perhaps a hard 7 iron for me. Aim to the right side of the green and hopefully it will draw a bit.

I don't see a 6 iron listed in your bag

Back