Shot scenario - what would you do?

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
What would you do on your 2nd shot?
You're lying 165-170 yards away from a slightly uphill green. The somewhat smallish green is basically a round island with water all around it except about 12 feet of turf off to the right of the green. The creek in front of the green is about 25 ft. wide.
A miss will be costly. What are you gonna decide to do?

Last edited:
Like everyone in my group I get out an extra ball and aim my 6 iron at the middle of the green. Lots of smiles if I get to put the second ball back in my bag!!!

depends how much uphill, and what's behind the green. with a hazard in front, i'd like to know the number to the back and subtract 5y off. if the uphill is enough, i may just play the unadjusted number to the back and hopefully make a confident swing. sounds like a good 6i will put me on the back.

Depending on how much uphill it is, I'm either taking 7i or 6i right at it. Scenario is what is it is. Worst case, I miss, drop, and carry on.

depends how much uphill, and what's behind the green. with a hazard in front, i'd like to know the number to the back and subtract 5y off. if the uphill is enough, i may just play the unadjusted number to the back and hopefully make a confident swing. sounds like a good 6i will put me on the back.

About 15 - 20 feet above where your ball lies.
Behind the green is water - the creek that is in front of the green winds around the green from front to back
The green is round with a diameter of approx. 50-60 feet

When there's trouble in front I'll take 5 yards off back number and have at it.

I'm getting old, and 165-170 is a pretty good hybrid or 4 iron for me, especially uphill. I would aim right toward the grassy area, and if I made decent contact and the ball drew, as most of my shots do, I'd be fine, if the ball went straight I'd be OK too. The main thing for me would be to stay dry. If I wasn't having a good ball striking day, I would probably lay up, and rely on my short game for par or bogey.

7i for me.

One extra club. Middle of the green.
Hit it fat into the drink.
Drop. 3 putt. Triple. Hate golf.
Go to the next hole. Miss the fairway out of frustration from my triple. Stop caring as my round score is ruined. Hit my second to within 15 feet. Make a long birdie putt. Loving golf again.
Repeat.

Hit a solid 7i, If i try and fiddle in a fadey 6 then i can chunk it or hit it too far and in the water at the back

You're lying 165-170 yards away from a slightly uphill green. The somewhat smallish green is basically a round island with water all around it except about 12 feet of turf off to the right of the green. The creek in front of the green is about 25 ft. wide.

I'm probably taking a choke down 6 iron with a regular swing and aiming at the middle/right part of the green.

Shot scenario - what would you do?

I would go for the green. Aim right at it with 6i. On other hand. My brother in law (short hitter)would lay off with PW or 9i to front of water and hope for the best. Sometimes he gets lucky and walks out with smart par.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's all relative. But, I would personally go at the middle of the green with a solid 8 iron. But, depending on how far you can comfortably carry that distance with reasonable height, a more conservative approach of aiming at the right side of the green may be a better play. Unless you are talking about needing to hit a long iron (5, 4, hybrid), 170 is way to close to not go for the green.

6i for me. My miss is to the right so since there is a safe area there I'm good.

Depending on how uphill it is as well as wind, either a 8i or 7i. Aiming right edge or so of the green (I have a slight draw). Most likely would go with a smooth 7i.

Hit a soft feathery 8i to the most middle portion of the green. 8i most def will be enough to cover the water and not be short but if I tried to muscle something up their I could hit it thin and go long or fat and this really wet. Soft, smooth, confident to the middle is my play

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up my ball, driver to the creek, drop and play from there as if I hit into the creek.
I'm playing 4 & save a ball.

If it's a comp or $$$ is on the line, I hit a fade to the pin & pray.

If 165 - 170 to the front of a slightly uphill green, I am going with my 180 stick (5 iron) to try to put it safely in the middle of the green.

Smooth 7 iron and never a doubt.

Pull my 8 out and go after it, maybe aim little right and get lucky or drop if in water and go on but being scared on a hole like that seems to me it could make it worse. Be aggressive

I'd aim center of the green, try to play it straight with anything some fade, I'd hit a 7i and hope/pray!!!

Assuming 165/70 is middle im taking a 7 or 6 depending on wind. This is just an average, nothing special mid iron approach that imo after all my decades I should and am suppose to make. If I fail so be it and hopefully I wont end up in the water. If I do then I deserve what I get. Its just not a shot I should avoid. Imo there is no smart play here ,no bad decision but just swing normal and attempt a pretty normal approach with a mid iron which I should make. I can view this shot as a par 3 with water around the green. I don't make it or end up in trouble then too bad on me for failing at a basic swing.

Try to hit an iron shot within 20 feet of the hole and then try to make the putt.

Last edited:
Below is a picture of the green - I did some measurements

DxDJ5exWwAIeaPd.jpg:large

Back