Your Tee Game - Sell Me

I should 3w (4w in my case) and then wedge. If I am feeling it with the driver I would consider it.

Driver all day long, sounds like trouble all around the green. So pull out the big stick stripe one down the middle and have short wedge in rather than be 110-150 out and have to hit a golf shot on the second, get close and put it on with the wedge

Any sort of spray = Long Iron off the tee for me. I am confident enough in my 8-PW to make that play.

Of course that means I would massively F up one of those shots.

It would depend on how I was hitting the ball that day but I’m a heavy lean toward driver for a 3/4 wedge. The fairway is just as wide at driver landing area as 3W so the risk is about the same. I’m better with partial wedges than full wedges so I’m going with the big stick.

3-wood is what I would hit and what I should hit. Scenario is pretty similar to hole 13 at the course I use to work at. After years of playing it, 3-wood always worked best.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver then wedge. Better accuracy up close than back farther plus depending how close I am I have a choice of pw thru lob.

I should and would choose the 3 wood / fulll wedge option. Full wedges (54 or 58 in particular) are my most reliable shots into the green to give me good birdie looks.

By "3/4 wedge" are you referring to a PW?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

3 wood, full gap wedge. After that, I'd ask my playing partners if I can launch one out there and proceed to push slice a drive into the woods.

It depends...if its a casual round I'm probably still hitting driver. If its a competition I'll re think my options possibly hitting 4i or 3w

Good day swinging driver I'll hit driver all day.
Normal day swinging I'll hit 3w.

If I'm having a good driver day, it's driver for me no doubt. If I'm a little off that day it will be 4I.

Here's the scenario:

- You're playing the sensible set of tees.
- Hole is plenty wide, but any sort of spray is out of play.
- Driver puts you at a 3/4 wedge from the green.
- 3 wood gives you one of your wedges at full swing distance.
- 5w/hybrid/UT gives you somewhere in the 8-9-PW full swing.
- Long iron gives you a 6 or a 7.

Green is mid size, but there's ugly left (bad bunker) and water short and right.

What do you think you SHOULD hit off the tee, and be honest, what WOULD you hit off the tee? Why?

Assuming using my MC setup:

I should hit 3W to get to the comfortable full wedge scoring distance.

But with no discernible trouble on a bad shot I’m hitting driver. Maybe not do for distance but dial it back for more accuracy and control the landing zone to setup line for approach in

Current setup:

Thriver

It would mostly depend on how far into my round I am that would let me know what club to play. Early on I would probably hit a hybrid/UT off the tee and take the full short iron in. After a few holes and getting a feel for what the swing is gonna be for the day, I’d be more comfortable going driver or 3W, especially if I’ve already got a few partial wedges into greens.

If I'm hitting driver well, probably driver. I like partial wedge shots better than full wedge (so far - this year I plan on working on that). If I have already had a few misses with driver, then 5W & whatever club is left.

I'm hitting driver and 3/4 wedge. Those are my comfort zones

5W and a short iron - Best chance I have to get on to the "Dance Floor".

Which wedge though?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Assume partial sand or gap wedge, just outside full lob wedge distance if you use the lob as a full swing club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m really confident with a. 8 or 9i in hand, so I’m taking my 3 hybrid off the tee here. Driver tends to be all or nothing for me, so that big miss can be lurking. I’m better with a hybrid in hand than 3w - probably my favorite club in the bag so that’s why I’m making that call.

If I felt comfortable with my driver swing, leaving me a shortened wedge in I’m going for that.

The other option is 3w.

Rarely do I go after a par 4 with irons off the tee...
Maybe I should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 Wood for me. Should hit it and would hit it. I am happy with a full gap wedge, not so much a full sand/lob though. Reason I go 3 Wood is any spray from tee is bad. So that takes driver out of my hands.

Back