Your Tee Game - Sell Me

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Here's the scenario:

- You're playing the sensible set of tees.
- Hole is plenty wide, but any sort of spray is out of play.
- Driver puts you at a 3/4 wedge from the green.
- 3 wood gives you one of your wedges at full swing distance.
- 5w/hybrid/UT gives you somewhere in the 8-9-PW full swing.
- Long iron gives you a 6 or a 7.

Green is mid size, but there's ugly left (bad bunker) and water short and right.

What do you think you SHOULD hit off the tee, and be honest, what WOULD you hit off the tee? Why?

Im going with Driver #2.
I pretty much always keep it in play and it plays like a 3 wood for me.

From there I would play a knock down or flighted AW as I dont love full swings with wedges. If that is not working well, I am going 4 hybrid off the tee and taking at the green to a safe spot in the middle.

Easy one for me as I'm better with a full wedge than a partial. I should and would hit my strong 3 wood. The first 20 years I played I'd hit driver 90% of the time even though I knew it was the wrong play.

Cool question. I would go 3-wood with an eye on the 2nd shot where I could play a full wedge to the back right of the green. I can miss short with a finesse wedge easier than with a full wedge.

3 wood followed by full wedge. Both clubs I am very comfortable in. I'd rather hit a full wedge than a 3/4 one.

Probably go 5W in that particular scenario and club options. I am pretty comfortable with a 8-PW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should hit my 2iron but would hit driver and proceed to blade the chip

I am going to take 3W and try to keep it left, hopefully taking the water out of play for my second shot. I'm okay swinging any of my wedges full swing so go for center of green and maybe make birdie, but should par for sure.

Should not a hybo or long iron. Give me a PW or 9i into a green and I’m gonna come away pretty well.

I’d probably hit 3w though. Haha

Hybrid for me is 210 and but if it's wide I'm pretty confident with driver as well, I guess safe play the hybrid of I can still put a 8/9 iron on it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

3w, I want a full wedge in

My default play would probably most often be 2H (don't carry FWs) but if swinging well, I'd look to talk myself into driver.

I used to very much prefer full wedges over partial, not the case anymore, and my accuracy and confidence in driver has been very high for the past couple years.

5wood off the tee is what I should and would play

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

3 wood and full wedge.

I would hit my 4 hybrid. then 8,9 or PW full swing depending on distance from the green. Aim at the middle of the green and hopefully no worse than a 2 putt par. If I hit a wood. It would leave me with a full wedge swing. Don't have an issue with those. Hit my hybrid better than a wood.

Plenty wide can mean different things to different people haha. I’ll hit driver. Really comfortable with it lately.

I tried to hit a club that usually leaves me 100-125 yds coming in. P or 9i.

By accident if I do hit a driver in the middle I probably sh**nk my G to water on right.

Play conservative. 3 wood off the tee. Knock it OB. Take a drop. Fly the green. Chip it on. 3 putt for a quad. Wonder why I bother playing conservative. Ready to quit golf. Birdie the next hole. Think I’m one step closer to Champions Tour. Repeat.

Driver for me. I don't tend to hit my 3-wood significantly straighter than my driver and I like hitting 3/4 shots with wedges. I'm also significantly more likely to miss left with a full PW, 9, or 8 than I am with a 50 degree or 3/4 wedge.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

How big is the landing area for the driver?

Your scenario sounds a lot like the holes I play. I usually go hybo off the tee. Just because I am confident with those approach distances.

For me it would be a 3-wood to a full wedge distance. I consider a "full" wedge to be a comfortably swung wedge (maybe 75-80%), not an "all out" wedge which I avoid.

Depending on the distance between penalty hazards more than likely I am hitting driver. If not then I am hitting 3 wood. I am best the closer to the green I can get. I spend a lot of time practicing partial wedges and extremely comfortable with those shots. This is all assuming some sort of competitive situation. If I am just out playing for fun it is driver 100% of the time.

Probably going hybrid off the tee with a 8/9i approach. I’m comfortable enough with my miss there to play the longer club and I want to keep it in the short grass.

Back