Your Tee Game - Sell Me

How big is the landing area for the driver?

Your scenario sounds a lot like the holes I play. I usually go hybo off the tee. Just because I am confident with those approach distances.

Wide enough that a good shot with any club will be fairway found.

Wide enough that a good shot with any club will be fairway found.
Oh, well in that case let the big dog eat. I'll take the shortest possible approach shot. Glory favors the bold.

If its wide open in the fairway, my instinct is to pull driver. But I hate partial wedges with a passion so I'd likely go 3W or hybrid to give myself a full swing in.

Oh, well in that case let the big dog eat. I'll take the shortest possible approach shot. Glory favors the bold.

This is a great sampling.

I'd take a full wedge over a 3/4 that requires a bit of a dig.. especially over water.. any day of the week.

My trusty driver and then 3/4 PW to get up and down

I'd take a full wedge over a 3/4 that requires a bit of a dig.. especially over water.. any day of the week.
Agreed. I feel like I have good touch with partial wedges but add a water hazard and I'll find a way to chunk it.

You are a better golfer than I am. There might be something there in your strategy, I just like getting as close as possible if there's a good driver landing area.

I would hit a nice smooth 2 iron or 5 wood depending on the day. The shorter I hit it the better because I have more confidence the more I go up in my bag. My wedge game is absolute trash.

Should hit 3 wood, will hit 3 wood. Why? Full wedge in would be the best shot possible for me.

I’d be hitting my 3w, followed by my AW, either full or 3/4 swing.

That 5w-UT range sounds about right, should be easier to keep in play and still even at an 8i I'm gonna feel ok going into that green.

Here's the scenario:

- You're playing the sensible set of tees.
- Hole is plenty wide, but any sort of spray is out of play.
- Driver puts you at a 3/4 wedge from the green.
- 3 wood gives you one of your wedges at full swing distance.
- 5w/hybrid/UT gives you somewhere in the 8-9-PW full swing.
- Long iron gives you a 6 or a 7.

Green is mid size, but there's ugly left (bad bunker) and water short and right.

What do you think you SHOULD hit off the tee, and be honest, what WOULD you hit off the tee? Why?

Probably a UT. I am really confident with anything 8 and down.

You a fan of chop wedges over water?

I’m a fan of no part of my golf game hahaha

If there’s danger, hazards around the green, especially left I do feel comfortable with that 60-80 yard partial wedge believe it or not. I’d be more comfortable in a full pw, but not really any more than that with real trouble left.

Otoh, right now I feel like I can hit a quality shot with driver more consistently than with fairway.

It’s close though, and probably comes down to how I’m hitting driver that day. Fun scenario!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should hit 3w, but probably will pull driver bc I’m a sucker.

Seriously though, the 3w puts a full wedge shot in my hand, for me thats my PW or GW I want that all day long. Nerves or whatever can creep in on 3/4 wedge shots and I would hate to waste a good drive on a chunked chip.

Last edited:
Driver #2 should give me a full 54 wedge or maybe a 3/4 50.

3 wood and full wedge.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

i would be fine with any of those strategies. i'm pretty comfortable with my driver right now, so assuming i'm hitting it well that day i probably go that route. but if there is some danger poking out, 3h-short iron is the play.

Your Tee Game - Sell Me

When I had some confidence in my driver, big dawg all day with a 3/4 wedge in. But with my game in its current state, my old trusty 3H and a 9 or PW in.

Last edited:
I'm taking 5W off the tee and 8i or 9i in. Those are very comfortable clubs for me and I can play the short irons straight into the green without worrying about spraying anything.

Really depends on how I'm feeling that day. If I'm swinging well, then it's 3W and a full wedge shot. I always prefer a full wedge shot, as I can go flag hunting.

If I'm not trusting my swing, then I'm going hybrid (3 or 4) and 9 iron. Im fairly deadly with any club 9i and below. 8i is where my accuracy starts to wane.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

I'm going 3 wood for sure. For one I'm confident I'll hit the fairway. Two, I'll take a full wedge over partial any day of the week.

Going off my bag, my only option is driver or long iron. The way I have been hitting my driver lately, I'm going driver every time. I'm more comfortable with a 3/4 wedge than a full right now. I hit my 7 left more time than not lately too, so I'd rather not have that in the equation.

I would probably go with my 2 hybrid and hopefully that would leave me close to a full PW into the green.

Back