Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's Happening? Flagstick In or Out?

Collapse

Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's Happening? Flagstick In or Out?

    Some of us live in places where golf is year around. For us, we're 2 months in with the new rules. In other threads people have shared what they *think* they are going to do with the flagstick. This thread is more of a report from those in warm weather climates of what is actually happening. Some of us will have a regular foursome or a small group we mostly play with. Others have mixed/matched with a lot of different groups. Tell us what's happening.
    R15 Driver - Rogue Fairway Metal - 5DX IronWood 3 & 4 Hybrids - AP2 716 with KBS Tour 90 Taper regular 4-9 irons - Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 & Pro V1 ball - Scottsdale Pickemup Putter

  • #2
    I'll kick it off.

    In general, early on most of the golfers I played with had a starting point they wanted to try. Some said they wanted the flag out because that was what they were used to doing. Others said the flag in looked weird to them and they thought having it in would hurt their putting. Others were willing to go with the flow. Still, others wanted to experiment with the flag in.

    Mixed in was more than a little awkwardness around the green. Out of habit, some would grab the flag or have the urge to when they saw everybody's ball on the green. Some weren't sure how to proceed or what to say. Some would seek a consensus on having the flag in or out. When the flag came out, some out of habit put it way off the green, only to find someone wanted it in when it was their turn.

    After a while, some new patterns began to emerge. Folks would start asking the first player up whether they wanted the flag in or out, and if out more people started to hang onto the flagstick, so they could reinsert it if another player wanted it in. After some time, more and more players are experimenting with the flag in. More and more I'm seeing whole groups keeping the flag in for the whole time. If you are in the group behind them, you can now shoot the flag with your range finder while they putt, as opposed to waiting until they are done and replace the flag.

    Those are a few things I've observed in casual play and competition in the first 2 months.
    R15 Driver - Rogue Fairway Metal - 5DX IronWood 3 & 4 Hybrids - AP2 716 with KBS Tour 90 Taper regular 4-9 irons - Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 & Pro V1 ball - Scottsdale Pickemup Putter

    Comment


    • #3
      I would classify myself as someone who likes to golf, vice someone who is serious about golf. Since the rule change, we have generally left the flagstick in, simply for convenience.


      Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
      R15 Driver
      Big Bertha V Series 3-Wood
      Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood
      XR 4-PW
      MD3 Milled S-Grind 50-10, 56-10
      Sure Out 64
      ZEVO SV1 Putter

      Comment


      • #4
        We tend the leave the flag in untill we are within 8ft as that has been the consensus since the introduction of the rule. I would happily leave the flag stick in for all putts and I think this will be the next rule change...... I do think the rule changes including ready golf have sped up the round

        Comment


        • #5
          Im seeing quite a few leave it in, but at a guess Id say the majority are still pulling it.
          In My 2018 #TheGrandaddy
          Alpha Convoy cart bag:
          Driver: Epic Flash
          FW: Epic Flash 3w
          Hybrids: Big Bertha 3/4/5 Recoil ZT9 F4
          Irons: Big Bertha 5-AW Recoil ZT9 F4
          Wedges: 2019 PM Grind 54 Recoil 95 F3
          Putter: Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang OR Stroke Lab EXO 2 Ball
          Ball: ERC Soft

          Comment


          • #6
            My regular group (10 to 18 players ranging in handicap from 0 to about 9), has played flagstick within the hole for two months now. No player is taking the flagstick out, ever. It's not even a question any player asks, and this seems to have improved pace of play by approximately 10 minutes per round.
            Driver: Ping G400 LST Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6S
            Fairway metals: Cleveland Launcher HB 15* Miyazaki C.Kua 5S
            Hybrid: Cleveland Launcher HB 19* Miyazaki C.Kua 6S
            Irons: Ping G700 4-SW Project X LZ 5.5
            Wedge: Ping G400 58* LW Project X LZ 5.5
            Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 w/ putter grip

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by leftshot View Post
              I'll kick it off.

              In general, early on most of the golfers I played with had a starting point they wanted to try. Some said they wanted the flag out because that was what they were used to doing. Others said the flag in looked weird to them and they thought having it in would hurt their putting. Others were willing to go with the flow. Still, others wanted to experiment with the flag in.

              Mixed in was more than a little awkwardness around the green. Out of habit, some would grab the flag or have the urge to when they saw everybody's ball on the green. Some weren't sure how to proceed or what to say. Some would seek a consensus on having the flag in or out. When the flag came out, some out of habit put it way off the green, only to find someone wanted it in when it was their turn.

              After a while, some new patterns began to emerge. Folks would start asking the first player up whether they wanted the flag in or out, and if out more people started to hang onto the flagstick, so they could reinsert it if another player wanted it in. After some time, more and more players are experimenting with the flag in. More and more I'm seeing whole groups keeping the flag in for the whole time. If you are in the group behind them, you can now shoot the flag with your range finder while they putt, as opposed to waiting until they are done and replace the flag.

              Those are a few things I've observed in casual play and competition in the first 2 months.
              +1

              Comment


              • #8
                I've played 5 or 6 rounds this year, most of them were just my dad and I, but 2 of them were with randoms we were paired up with. We've left the stick in for all rounds. One of the gentleman I played with would occasionally ask for the flag out based on having an uphill putt, but that was no issue.
                Ozone XX Stand bag
                XR 10.5
                XHot Pro 15*
                MT 3i
                Apex 4-SW
                J40 60*
                Tank #7


                Comment


                • #9
                  Generally leaving the pin in for the first putt or two from longer range where previously someone would tend the pin. Then the pin gets pulled for one of two reasons:

                  1 - our holes are usually on a slope as a flat spot on any of our greens is rare. As a result, the pin always seems to be leaning in one direction or another, or
                  2 - there is so much wind here in North Texas that, again, the pin always seems to be leaning.
                  Proud Member of Team THP - 2018 Grandaddy with Callaway

                  In my Alpha Convoy 514 Cart Bag:

                  Driver: Epic Flash 10.5 (+1/D) - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
                  FWs: 3W (+1/N) Epic Flash* - 5W (S/N) Epic Flash - EvenFlow Green Shaft 45g 5.5
                  Hybrid: Big Bertha 4H (+1/N) - Recoil 760 Shaft F2
                  Irons: Apex '19 5-AW - Recoil 760 Shafts F2
                  Wedges: 52S* /56C MD4 / 60 PM 2.0 Grind* - all w/ Recoil 460 Shafts F2
                  Putter: Stroke Lab Double Wide or Toulon Portland
                  Ball: ERC Soft or Chrome Soft
                  * Interchangeable - I carry 2 out of the three

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I have officially switched to leaving it in 100% of the time. Other than habit, I see no reason to pull it.
                    ~Peter

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Phil75070 View Post
                      Generally leaving the pin in for the first putt or two from longer range where previously someone would tend the pin. Then the pin gets pulled for one of two reasons:

                      1 - our holes are usually on a slope as a flat spot on any of our greens is rare. As a result, the pin always seems to be leaning in one direction or another, or
                      2 - there is so much wind here in North Texas that, again, the pin always seems to be leaning.
                      Good point about the wind. Windy weather has occurred to me as one thing that would definitely cause me to pull the flag more.
                      R15 Driver - Rogue Fairway Metal - 5DX IronWood 3 & 4 Hybrids - AP2 716 with KBS Tour 90 Taper regular 4-9 irons - Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 & Pro V1 ball - Scottsdale Pickemup Putter

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Our 2 groups leave it in all the time. Speeds up play too. I use the pin as a target, hit the pin. I've seen an improvement in my putting by thinking "hit the pin". Not leaving hardly any putts short this year since the new rule.
                        Launcher HB C Kua 10.5 5R
                        RBZ 22* 3 wood
                        22* King F8 4 Baffler
                        M6 5 - PW TT XP100 R300
                        Vokey SM7 wedges
                        Huntington Beack 11
                        Supersoft 2019

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I generally leave it in unless my playing partners decide to pull it.


                          Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                          Driver: Gigagolf TRX CT Response
                          3w: Gigagolf TRX Slot White
                          Hybrids: #2, #3 Tour Edge HL3 Iron-woods, #4 Tour Edge Bazooka Platinum
                          irons: Gigagolf TRX 5-pw
                          Wedges: Gigagolf S2 - 52*, 56*
                          Putter: Tommy Armour Impact #3


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Weve always left it in to save time if we all have long putts, but it gets pulled once were close. In my opinion, for putts inside 20 or so, leaving it in makes the hole look smaller. But I will think about it for speedy downhillers occasionally.


                            Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by pmm21 View Post
                              I have officially switched to leaving it in 100% of the time. Other than habit, I see no reason to pull it.
                              Same here. Haven't pulled it once in 4 rounds.
                              Only time I think I'll pull it going forward is if the flagstick won't sit squarely in the hole. In the past, seems like some flags wouldn't sit right in the cup, leaning sideways due to a bad fit in the base. But so far I haven't encountered that since the rule change, so I'm thinking the courses have fixed that before it became an issue.
                              I love hitting short putts with the flag in. I like to hit them with enough speed to use the flag as a backboard.
                              G400 10.5*
                              G25 4W
                              A7 4H
                              G400 crossover 5i
                              G25 6-U
                              CBX 56*
                              White Ice #1

                              Comment

                              Above Footer Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X